jaygauss

Confusion about Proof of bonafide relationship during I-129F

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone, forgive me if my questions are too simple or obvious or have been covered elsewhere. For the last few days I have been pouring over this site and have read anything I can, but it can be confusing...especially when one wants to be extremely careful that everything goes smoothly and there is no chance of failure.

I am engaged as of last week. I would like to file my I-129F in about a week (~April 1st). July and August I will spend in Kiev with my fiancee. I will file any additional things as needed from Kiev. If all goes well, the interview will happen when I am in Kiev. If not, we will have plenty of proof of a bona fide relationship after my two months living with her in Kiev.

My question: how much proof is needed for the I-129F of a bona fide relationship, bearing in mind that we will have plenty of proof at an interview? I have heard some people say that the I-129F is more an administrative formality and less an evaluation of the bona fides.

Of course, I understand the concept of front-loading the application. But my concern is that we met online pretty much have copious skype logs and a few photos and documentation from my visit (last week). I don't know if I would be convinced by the evidence so far! I could add some affidavit's from people who know either one of us (but not both of us). As it is, I feel stressed sending out a 129F that is not completely convincing, especially with the knowledge that I will spend so much time with my fiancee in the near future before our interview. Help clarifying the evidence needed for a I-129F is greatly appreciated. Being denied would be crushing, and I want to avoid it at all costs. Thanks!

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Ukraine

I-129F Sent : 2014-03-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-04-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-05-06

NVC Received : 2014-05-20

NVC Sent to Embassy: 2014-05-26

Kyiv interview: June 23th (Approved)

POE date: July 22nd

Wedding date: August 10th

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Proving a bona fide relationship happens pretty much at the interview stage. For now, to get the I-129F petition approved, you simply need to meet the requirements: that you are both legally free to marry at the time of filling and that you have met in person in the 2 years prior to sending in the paperwork. Period. As long as everything is in place with forms and whatnot, as long as you provide evidence of those two requirements, you'll get approved.

Then, at the interview stage, you'll need to prove you have a real and genuine relationship. By then, with what you've stated, you'll have enough evidence to cover that.

Hope this helps.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

What you need is absolute proof that you meet the requirement of having met in person within the last 2 years. Photos are great, but the USCIS sees them as secondary evidence, skype logs are not needed at this point as they dont prove you have met in person.

When i sent in my petition, i included photos, a letter from a friend confirming our relationship and my flight itinerary for my trip to visit my fiance. But uscis werent convinced until i sent copies of boarding passes and the immigration stamp in my passport from my visit to the states.

Timeline

One issue related to this is that I wanted to wait until after I submitted the I-129F before announcing our engagement to the world (bc I would like to do it in person to people who are far away right now). Of course by the time we had the interview, we could have lots of proof of a public engagement. If I am understanding both of you, this is not necessary at all for a successful I-129A. Right?

K1 Visa

Transferred? No

Timeline

I have yet another follow-up question. I am under the impression that Ukraine is a high-fraud consulate. In another thread, someone opined that at high-fraud consulates many times the decision is made before the interview solely based on the I-129F. We plan on having a lot of evidence at the time of the interview, but much of it will be generated by our meeting that takes place after the I-129F.

Is this true? If so, I wonder if it is worthwhile to attach an adendum about our plans for the summer so that the consulate can anticipate such proof and withhold judgment.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this, I am trying to be meticulous!

K1 Visa

Transferred? No

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

One issue related to this is that I wanted to wait until after I submitted the I-129F before announcing our engagement to the world (bc I would like to do it in person to people who are far away right now). Of course by the time we had the interview, we could have lots of proof of a public engagement. If I am understanding both of you, this is not necessary at all for a successful I-129A. Right?

Correct. For I-129F, you ONLY need to prove you met in the last two years, NOT prove you have a bona fide relationship.

We did the same thing and did not tell our families of engagement until after submitting the I-129F.

USAMEXflag-small.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As already been said the USCIS stage (I129f) only requires that you met your fiancee within the last 2 years. The proof of ongoing relationship will be needed more towards the interview phase. My experienced may or may not be applicable with yours since no two cases are alike. When I filed for my fiancee K1 visa I did include proof of ongoing relationship since I was filing at a high fraud embassy and have some potential red flags. I submitted photos, relevant facebook and skype chats , plane boarding passes for the travel we made together, receipt and photos of Valentine gift I sent her and a few email. I was present during my fiancee's interview and witness how the consul did not even bother asked for any evidences that we brought at the embassy . All he did was look at the original documents / proof I submitted and asked my fiancee a few questions from those. No photos or chat logs were asked. I guess he was satisfied what I submitted during the 129f phase. YMMV!

As already been said the USCIS stage (I129f) only requires that you met your fiancee within the last 2 years. The proof of ongoing relationship will be needed more towards the interview phase. My experienced may or may not be applicable with yours since no two cases are alike. When I filed for my fiancee K1 visa I did include proof of ongoing relationship since I was filing at a high fraud embassy and have some potential red flags. I submitted photos, relevant facebook and skype chats , plane boarding passes for the travel we made together, receipt and photos of Valentine gift I sent her and a few email. I was present during my fiancee's interview and witness how the consul did not even bother asked for any evidences that we brought at the embassy . All he did was look at the original documents / proof I submitted and asked my fiancee a few questions from those. No photos or chat logs were asked. I guess he was satisfied what I submitted during the 129f phase. YMMV!

I am from a high fraud country too.

And my fiance and sent a good packet to uscis.

They send that packet to the consulate.

They chek that before the interview and take the dessition quicker.

In my country is mandatory that the petitioner be present at the interview, because my country is highly fraud, but my fiance couldnt come to the interview , I went alone and they approved me.

God help me, and send a good packet with all evidences helped too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.