clairegie

ITIN

20 posts in this topic

My husband and I tried to open a joint account and they told us I need an ITIN. So I tried filing out the w-7 on the IRS website and then it tells me I have to send my actual passport to them, which of course I am not comfortable to do mellow.png Then I found this link:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/2013-ITIN-Updated-Procedures-Frequently-Asked-Questions

which says that as a military spouse, I am exempted as long as I send a copy of my husband's military ID. Does this mean I only have to send photocopies of my passport, visa and his ID? Sorry, all this is totally confusing me. Thanks for the help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

the bank is stupid.

OTOH, is there a particular reason you NOT get the SSN whilst your I-94 was still active?

yer POE date is 1/1/2014 - so you should be able to get a SSN on Monday at a SSA office -

go in, apply on Monday,

then

go back on Tuesday, get the #

and

apply in visa name, not married name. (you can fix that later)

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and I tried to open a joint account and they told us I need an ITIN. So I tried filing out the w-7 on the IRS website and then it tells me I have to send my actual passport to them, which of course I am not comfortable to do mellow.png Then I found this link:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/2013-ITIN-Updated-Procedures-Frequently-Asked-Questions

which says that as a military spouse, I am exempted as long as I send a copy of my husband's military ID. Does this mean I only have to send photocopies of my passport, visa and his ID? Sorry, all this is totally confusing me. Thanks for the help!

Why aren't you just getting your SSN, most people do not have ITIN they have SSN ? http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5.htm

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Why aren't you just getting your SSN, most people do not have ITIN they have SSN ? http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5.htm

We are in the same boat. My friend told me that she went to US embassy and she asked them to notarized the copy of her passport. Call the embassy in Manila if you are in the Philippines.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

No you must have to submit original passport. I was in the same boat as you. I didn't send my original passport at first thinking the same as I am military Spouse as well. But they sent me a notice saying I must have to submit original passport or certified copy ( must be certified by the Issuing agency of the document). So I have sent them my original passport. But I would suggest you read form W-7 instructions. In it page-3 read paragraph saying "In person - you can find Designated Taxpayer Assistance Center on IRS.GOV , you can go to Designated Taxpayer Assistance Center personally and they will return your documents immediately. You don't have to send the documents to them if you do so. I found out this later on otherwise would have done that instead of sending them my original passport.

And as other people said above you don't need ITIN to open a joint bank account. You are eligible for SSN.

February 28- AOS package sent. ( I-130, I-485, I-765)
March 5- Package delivered to USCIS Chicago.
March 11- Email and text notification with Receipt Numbers.
March 14- Hardcopy of NOA1 for all three applications.
March 21- Received biometrics appointment letter for 04/04/2014
April 2 - Completed Walk in Biometrics appointment successfully. (Original Appointment was for 4th April)
April 9- I-485 Case status has been updated to " Testing & Interview "
April 16- Text and email alert for case update for AOS interview on 22nd May 2014.
April 18- Hardcopy of Interview notice received in mail.
May 22- AOS interview, approved on the spot and got stamp in my passport.
May 27 - Approval notice of I-130 and I-485 in mail.
May 29- Received GC in mail.

ROC Timeline:

03/28/2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

03/29/2016: Package delivered.

03/31/2016: cheque cached.

04/02/2016: Received NOA1 in mail, dated 03/29/2016.

04/13/2016: Received Biometrics notice for the date of 04/25/2016.

04/21/2016: Early walk in Biometrics

09/28/2016: Text and email alert about approval of ROC

10/06/2016: Received 10-years green card in mail

Hi Iammrsregi! I kinda missed ya! cool.png

Banks generally only need 2 kinds of identification. For Bank of America, I used my Social security Card (SSC) and passport with the visa. The girl at the 1st counter initially didn't know I can use the SSC, she was asking if I brought a credit card with me from Philippines as long as it is Visa or Mastercard, they will accept it. So that's another option. Anyway, we were able to open an account when I showed my passport and SSC to the new accounts desk, which is luckily an immigrant too. I even brought our marriage certificate to have my married name in our joint account, but she said they can only follow how my name was written in the legal American IDs, which were the visa and the SSC. :)

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

You don't need an ITIN nor a Social Security number to open a joint account. You need a new bank.

I opened a joint account for Chinook and I before we were married and while Chinook was still living in the Philippines.

Chinook emailed me her Philippines passport's bio page and another picture ID. I took those to the bank and opened the account. When I received the ATM card in Chinook's name, I sent it to her via FED EX.

When Chinook arrived in the U.S., we went to the bank and Chinook signed for the account. After we got married, we went back to the bank and Chinook changed the name on the account to her married name. No problems.

the bank is stupid.

OTOH, is there a particular reason you NOT get the SSN whilst your I-94 was still active?

yer POE date is 1/1/2014 - so you should be able to get a SSN on Monday at a SSA office -

go in, apply on Monday,

then

go back on Tuesday, get the #

and

apply in visa name, not married name. (you can fix that later)

Hi, we went to the social security office and they told us i cant use the i-94 because I am no longer a fiance since I'm married already and that I have to adjust my status with DHS and then she gave me some letter about being ineligible for a SSN at the time. Although I do like your idea of applying under my visa name.

About the bank. The person we talked to said its their "system" that wont let them add anything without a 9-digit ITIN/SSN number and she "can't override" it... So that's why I though we had to procure an ITIN. Thanks for your suggestion about trying to get an SSN with my visa name. I'll give it a try.

Timeline

Hi, we went to the social security office and they told us i cant use the i-94 because I am no longer a fiance since I'm married already and that I have to adjust my status with DHS and then she gave me some letter about being ineligible for a SSN at the time. Although I do like your idea of applying under my visa name.

About the bank. The person we talked to said its their "system" that wont let them add anything without a 9-digit ITIN/SSN number and she "can't override" it... So that's why I though we had to procure an ITIN. Thanks for your suggestion about trying to get an SSN with my visa name. I'll give it a try.

Well that is one totally stupid and very ignorant SSA employee. Being married and using the I-94 is not an issue, in fact that is the form to use within a certain time frame. My wife got her SSN the day after we got our certified copies of the marriage certificate using the I-94 and she got it in her married name... two extra points for the Tucson SSA office having better educated SSA employees.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

oops - you got the wrong info at the SSA office.

now you are less than 14 days from 90 days of POE event, and you cannot apply anymore.

the 'idea' wasn't an idea - it's how you MUST do it, to ensure success. I'm sorry that we're having such a translation problem - but it doesn't matter anymore, you missed the window of time and now must wait for an EAD card.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Well that is one totally stupid and very ignorant SSA employee. Being married and using the I-94 is not an issue, in fact that is the form to use within a certain time frame. My wife got her SSN the day after we got our certified copies of the marriage certificate using the I-94 and she got it in her married name... two extra points for the Tucson SSA office having better educated SSA employees.

Well, that's totally disappointing. Now if I try to go back to the SSA office, my i94 won't be accepted anymore because of the timeframe correct?

If I go back, I feel I should have something to show them they should've given me a SSN in the first place because it's their mistake. Bad North Carolina SSA office employee :< Now I'm REALLY confused what to do.

Edited by iammrsregi

Timeline

now? now you must wait for the EAD or greencard.

oops - you got the wrong info at the SSA office.

now you are less than 14 days from 90 days of POE event, and you cannot apply anymore.

the 'idea' wasn't an idea - it's how you MUST do it, to ensure success. I'm sorry that we're having such a translation problem - but it doesn't matter anymore, you missed the window of time and now must wait for an EAD card.

.-.- I hate SSA.

So... is a joint account a really important proof during adjustment of status? If so.. I guess my best bet is to try and open an account with another bank or if that doesn't work, get an ITIN. Correct?

Timeline

Well, that's totally disappointing. Now if I try to go back to the SSA office, my i94 won't be accepted anymore because of the timeframe correct?

If I go back, I feel I should have something to show them they should've given me a SSN in the first place because it's their mistake. Bad North Carolina SSA office employee :< Now I'm REALLY confused what to do.

If you are past the "window" for using the I-94 you will have to wait for your EAD card or green card.

I think SSA's main source of employees are graduates from the Forrest Gump school of "stupid is as stupid does"

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

.-.- I hate SSA.

So... is a joint account a really important proof during adjustment of status? If so.. I guess my best bet is to try and open an account with another bank or if that doesn't work, get an ITIN. Correct?

no, for AOS , coming on a K-1, it's not even needed, proof of joint account.

For ROC, it's needed, that's 2 or 3 years later.

whoever was telling you to get this for AOS proof, is wrong - you should stop listening to them, and drop a live grenade in their shorts.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.