Quyana

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BRING ADULT CHILDREN OF PERMANENT RESIDENT

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

This question might have been answered in the past, but i have digged areound and couldnt find a response, So i am bringing it up to enlighten those of us who are interested.

I believe this to be the appropriate forum to ask this question.

When a father or mother becomes permanent resident, how long will the process take to bring her unmarried children (male/female) over 21 years old.

Does the persons country of origin play any part in delaying/expediting or moving the process in a normal way. what is the average processing time for this type of petition based on past experiences and current timeline.

How long can our parents stay here in US (After becoming permanent resident) before going to visit home temporarily (if they choose to); how long are they expected to spend outside and come back to US.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Permament resident must live in the US more than they are out over any rolling 12 months. Failure to do this over time can cause thenm to lose status. Children of LPR's that are over 21 must wait for a visa number , most countries that is about 8 years. Only a few are longer. You can chec the current wait on the visa bulletin found at travel.state.gov

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

As residents have to spend more time in the US than out, they can't spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period outside the US. If they spend more time outside the US than in they will lose their green cards.

Timeline

Permament resident must live in the US more than they are out over any rolling 12 months. Failure to do this over time can cause thenm to lose status. Children of LPR's that are over 21 must wait for a visa number , most countries that is about 8 years. Only a few are longer. You can chec the current wait on the visa bulletin found at travel.state.gov

wow... Thanks a lot everyone for this insights; i was thinking otherwise but you guys have enlightend me. So it's something to file and take your mind off it, else one will become the most miserable person. lolo.

How about a US citizen applying for his brothers/sisters over 21. (South Africa or Nigeria ) is there a difference if the person is married or not, also will the process take as long as you have mentioned.

And i never knew that our mum/Dad "must live in the US more than they are out over any rolling 12 months". Thanks a lot guys and please keep giving me info from your experiences. No knowledge gained is a waste.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As residents have to spend more time in the US than out, they can't spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period outside the US. If they spend more time outside the US than in they will lose their green cards.

getting a RE-Entry permit will allow u to stay outside USA for 24monthsidea9dv.gif

timeline

Dec 11, 2012 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I-130 sent

Dec 14, 2012 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PD/NOA1

July 23 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOA2/I-130 approved

Aug. 26 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NVC received

Aug 30 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS3032 received

Sept 11 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS3032 sent

Sept11 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AOS PAID

Sept 26 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I V AP Fee Bill Invoice (via email)O

Oct 24. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IV FEE PAid

Oct 28 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS 260 sent

Feb 11, 2014>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CC

April 03, 2014 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Interview (original date)

March 26, 2014>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Interview (rescheduled)

March 26, 2014>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Visa Approved

April 01, 2014>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Visa on hand :dancing:

May 02, 2014>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POE Lax :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

wow... Thanks a lot everyone for this insights; i was thinking otherwise but you guys have enlightend me. So it's something to file and take your mind off it, else one will become the most miserable person. lolo.

How about a US citizen applying for his brothers/sisters over 21. (South Africa or Nigeria ) is there a difference if the person is married or not, also will the process take as long as you have mentioned.

And i never knew that our mum/Dad "must live in the US more than they are out over any rolling 12 months". Thanks a lot guys and please keep giving me info from your experiences. No knowledge gained is a waste.

In your research you somehow missed the visa bulletin - it has all the answers about timing on one place. Please take a quick look - (for siblings its ~13 years, marital status is not important). Times quoted are only estimates, as sometimes priority dates in visa bulletin are stuck or retrogress.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The reentry permit work for a single extended stay but you can't keep that up forever. Many people actually turn in their green cards when they understand the residency requirements and then get a 10 visitors visa because that was really their intent. Also as an LPR you are required to report ( and pay taxes if needed ) your worldwide income. For many older people who will never work enough qualifying quarters to get social security a visitors visa is a better option.

As to siblings the wait is about 12 years but the immigrant can be single or married. If your mother intends to become a USC then you can upgrade and the child can marry and not lose out. Current timelines are subject to change and laws also may change.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

The reentry permit work for a single extended stay but you can't keep that up forever. Many people actually turn in their green cards when they understand the residency requirements and then get a 10 visitors visa because that was really their intent. Also as an LPR you are required to report ( and pay taxes if needed ) your worldwide income. For many older people who will never work enough qualifying quarters to get social security a visitors visa is a better option.

As to siblings the wait is about 12 years but the immigrant can be single or married. If your mother intends to become a USC then you can upgrade and the child can marry and not lose out. Current timelines are subject to change and laws also may change.

Thanks for the info. Could you please explain more on "Many people actually turn in their green cards when they understand the residency requirements and then get a 10 visitors visa". Do you mean getting 10 year visitors visa or 10 times to visit US in a year/entire life or months visitor visa?, also how does the process go with turning in Green card, is it after they have lived here for a while or what?, Do they involve an attorney, or a different petition, or what? please explain. infact a friends mom is going through that now, you know after the excitement of coming over gradually fades...lol and she starts missing home and prefers the native lifestyle she/he is used to, language/food/not staying home etc, and no one will deliberately want to default on the law here as everyones hope is to give your family member better life here, but after a while their opinion and feelings has to be considered too.So what will be the legal thing to do?.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.