katie1990

Deported for an Agravated felony but we think he is a US Citizen? What to do next?

178 posts in this topic

Shub,

Hey, wait a minut here. You just stated in your previous post: "Note this is all a bit above my comfortable level of knowledge with immigration law (and I'm not a lawyer to begin with) so take that with a grain of salt" smile.png

Now you are an expert. I don't think averycates gave any legal advice, but you sure seem to be conflicted?

I'm not conflicted and I am no expert.

The simple fact is that I see this sort of post on immigration forums a lot (funnily enough, I was just telling someone else about it yesterday) and it pisses me off because people use it as a platform to proselytize, to pass judgment on people they know nothing about because they did something bad, to offer no help at all, and often do so in the face of the law, sometimes lying through their teeth to get their point across. I move that these people should just shut up, but they have the right to express their opinion, just as I have the right to point out that their attitude is obnoxious and unbecoming.

Here's how I see it.

Someone initially said: "your cousin is a criminal and should stay outside of the US where criminals belong and oh by the way he lost his US citizenship because <no reason provided>" -- that's a textbook BS post you see on immigration forums when someone did something bad and is asking about immigration. Useless, bitter, opinionated and just plain wrong.

I said: "oh well I'm not a lawyer so you should do further research, but hey, you said this and that, so I think he may be OK because A and B". At least I'm trying to be neutral and helpful. I may not like criminals but criminals have rights, that is the rule of law, and part of it is putting aside personal feelings. To me, that is the crux of the issue.

My only fault is perhaps jumping to conclusions too quickly about Avery Cates' post, but I've been around immigration forums (not just this one) for long enough to be reasonably confident in my ability to detect an embittered individual over one who simply doesn't know any better.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Exactly this. You don't need to report the birth using CRBA to validate him as a US citizen. He has compelling evidence that he is a US citizen by birth to a US citizen father. If by right he is a US citizen, it cannot be taken away.

Why is everyone keep missing or not acknowledging the fact that he represented himself as a LPR for all these years and not as a USC...up until he lost his LPR. I agree, parents are not required to file a CBRA for their child. Also, that child doesn't have to become a USC - ever. The child was brought to the States by his parents and became LPR and not a USC, why?

Hmmm,

Logically I imagine the US embassy will want proof that his US citizen father is actually his father. Especially as they got married during the pregnancy. DNA test.

This will be complicated.

What confuses me is why wait until now? Why not ask a lawyer when he was in the criminal justice system?

It is possible he may need to prove the blood relation to his father, especially since a CRBA was not filed immediately after birth. But once again, if the relationship is proven, he is still a US citizen by birth.

5. Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child: The child's birth certificate with both parent's names on it is the best place to start. If a child was born out of wedlock, we strongly suggest also bring:

1. Both parents' current and previous passports

2. Family photos from before and after the child was born

3. Pre-natal medical and hospital records

4. Record of economic support/money orders between parents

If you do not have sufficient evidence to prove the blood relationship between the U.S. citizen parent and the child, you may perform a DNA test as proof. If you think you may lack other evidence, we suggest you read more about the DNA Testing Process. Do not perform any kind of DNA testing before you come in for your child's CRBA interview.

Why is everyone keep missing or not acknowledging the fact that he represented himself as a LPR for all these years and not as a USC...up until he lost his LPR. I agree, parents are not required to file a CBRA for their child. Also, that child doesn't have to become a USC - ever. The child was brought to the States by his parents and became LPR and not a USC, why?

Because the fact he was an LPR is irrelevant. If you ask why he was brought as an LPR instead of as a US citizen, the best answer I can give is that his father did not know he could file a CRBA for him.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

I've been around immigration forums (not just this one) for long enough to be reasonably confident in my ability to detect an embittered individual over one who simply doesn't know any better.

I've been quite active on Immigration forums as well (for the past 10 years or so), and I have helped people with their paperwork as well. I never judge, but I am quite surprised on how this fight for proving U.S. Citizenship came about 12 years after being a LPR, only after having been deported for a criminal offense. It makes me wonder. That's all. I'm done here and I wish them good luck.

I've been quite active on Immigration forums as well (for the past 10 years or so), and I have helped people with their paperwork as well. I never judge, but I am quite surprised on how this fight for proving U.S. Citizenship came about 12 years after being a LPR, only after having been deported for a criminal offense. It makes me wonder. That's all. I'm done here and I wish them good luck.

Yes, I see your point, it seems convenient when you put it like that, but on the flipside, perhaps it never occurred to them until everything was said and done.

Anyway, a lot of Americans don't even know that they are legally required to present evidence of US citizenship when entering the US. Most Americans don't really need to know that since most of them are not citizens of another country, but my point is that it isn't far-fetched that it would not occur to an American citizen abroad to file a CRBA for their child for immigration purposes.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is however alleged that he was filed for, an I 130, with all the details relevant to his Parents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Because the fact he was an LPR is irrelevant. If you ask why he was brought as an LPR instead of as a US citizen, the best answer I can give is that his father did not know he could file a CRBA for him.

Ok, but ignorance of the law is not an excuse and does not make one immune to the consequences. And by 'ignorance' I mean the lack of knowledge of the law

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

OK so heres what my uncle has told me so far. First of all, my cousin wasn't the one that came up with this, this conversation happened yesterday morning when my uncle was speaking to a long time friend who happens to have been worked for CBP years ago, he mentioned that his son had been deported and the circumstances. His friend was surprised and couldn't believe that had happened, told him that this could have been a mistake since his son is technically a US Citizen , my uncle told me that when my uncle first brought them to the USA my cousin was admitted as a US Citizen, and my aunt given permission to come in with the promise she would file for her green card. They literally crossed the border, took buses all the way from Honduras across Mexico to the San Ysidro border. The thing is that they went to a "notary public" to start the process and the notary filed for my cousins green card as well stating it wouldn't hurt to file for his green card. Even though my uncle told him that CBP admitted my cousin as a US Citizen just by showing his birth certificate and of course my uncles birth certificate and his and my aunts marriage certificate. They just said my aunt had to start the process ASAP. It was my mistake I assumed they were brought in already Permanent Residents.

Edited by katie1990

June, 1996: EWI from Honduras and been here ever since !
April , 2001: American born father filed I-130
May 22 , 2012 : Lawyer sent AOS
June 10, 2012 : checks cashed
June 11, 2012 : NOA's arrived
June 13, 2012 : Biometrics appointment arrived for July 5th
June 19, 2012: Succesful walk-in at Bellflower,ca office
July 25, 2012 : First card production ordered text/email
July 30, 2012 : second card production ordered text/email
July 30 ,2012 : Third text/email approval notice sent
July 31,2012 : Fourth text/email usps reported it picked up email
Aug 2, 2012 : Fifth email USPS has delivered your new card at address on file
Sep 7,2012 : Text notification update: On September7th we mailed you an appointment notice for an interview for October 10,2012!!
Sep 10,2012: receieved interview letter in the mail for October 10 at LA field office!

May 6,2013 : Recieved email I-485 approved

May 10,2013: card document production ordered/ received Welcome letter

May 16,2013: Received Green Card in Mail!

Timeline

Yes my uncle was ignorant he didn't think he had to file for anything. My cousin is just learning about all of this as well, he did his time, 3 years. All of this is so confusing, Were just waiting for my grandma to call and see what the US EMbassy is going to handle all of this.

Sep 7,2012 : Text notification update: On September7th we mailed you an appointment notice for an interview for October 10,2012!!
Sep 10,2012: receieved interview letter in the mail for October 10 at LA field office!

1: He didn't realize he would be deported during his sentence or sentencing? You know when the judge said he would be deported on the completion of his sentence.

2: He was admitted to the US on the basis of a Honduran birth certificate?!

3: When completing the LPR application what did they write under the parents citizenship box? (As everyone here will recall you had to give the names, places of birth and citizenship of parents when completing the green card application.)

This story makes zero sense and i have my doubts on the veracity of the information. I'm out.

Timeline

This story makes zero sense and i have my doubts on the veracity of the information. I'm out.

And his mother was admitted it seems without a visa. And she has no claims to US Citizenship.

Perhaps they walked in?

All a Notary does it witness signatures, probably a notario.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

1. What difference would it make ?

2. Yes he was, apparently CBP realized he was a USC at that point.

3.To the best of their knowledge it was answered truthfully

4. GOOD. BYE.

Timeline

There is no way a Honduran Birth Certificate would provide evidence of US Citizenship.

Timeline

And his mother was admitted it seems without a visa. And she has no claims to US Citizenship.

Perhaps they walked in?

All a Notary does it witness signatures, probably a notario.

They didn't just walk in. They were pulled into a room signed paperwork for my aunt . The CBP made sure to tell them they had to get my aunts green card process started ASAP . And that was that

Timeline

There is no way a Honduran Birth Certificate would provide evidence of US Citizenship.

Well apparently the CBP thought so because he remembers clearly the officer mentioned his son was a USC . Im telling it like Im being told. And I'm not adding the extra stuff he is saying lets just say he is aggravated lol but thank you all for the feed back .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.