Magnolia31

Medical Exam/Vaccination Question

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

OK, I just have one more question because I am rather confused. I had my medical exam 3 weeks ago. At the time, I could not get my vaccinations done because I had pneumonia. The panel physician told me to go ahead and just get the vaccinations form my regular doctor later on once the pneumonia cleared up. So, here I am, January 4th and my interview is February 2nd. The thing that confuses me is this:

I am getting vaccinations done today including the Hep B. My doctor says you need 3 Hep B vaccinations. She says there is not sufficient time to get all 3 shots between now and February 2nd. What do I do now? I am worried I will have problems because of this.

Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance!

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

OK, I just have one more question because I am rather confused. I had my medical exam 3 weeks ago. At the time, I could not get my vaccinations done because I had pneumonia. The panel physician told me to go ahead and just get the vaccinations form my regular doctor later on once the pneumonia cleared up. So, here I am, January 4th and my interview is February 2nd. The thing that confuses me is this:

I am getting vaccinations done today including the Hep B. My doctor says you need 3 Hep B vaccinations. She says there is not sufficient time to get all 3 shots between now and February 2nd. What do I do now? I am worried I will have problems because of this.

If you are over 25 years old that the Hep B vaccination is contra-indicated - at least that's what they told me (I'm 27) and why I did not receive mine. Normally Hep B is given in three doses 1st one, then 2nd after a month and then 3rd one after around 6 months or in some cases after a year (kind of like tetanus shots). If you start the vaccination you just need the proof that you are under regime and that the other shots will be received after your interview. Best of luck!

Mel

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was never told I needed Hep B shots. According to the vaccination list (from my Packet 3), if you are 18 and older, you don't need the Hep B shots for immigration purposes.

vaccinationlistkz7.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's a good question.

I didn't think that those applying for this visa need the vaccines now to travel - but will for the AOS so they get them now.

My fiance also is supposed to get his last shot in March and we may have our interview then.

Years ago, I had that problem when travelling abroad and they gave me my final shot a few weeks early if I remember correctly.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

I remember I got overstressed when I applied for my K-1 regarding the 3 vaccinations shots too. I only got one at that time (same reason, no enough time) and that was just fine to get the K-1. I think what they are really interested in is to find out if you have a serious disease...

Anyway, for my AOS I went to the doctor again to get another exam. He just tested on TB.

At my AOS interview, the officer did not ask for any medical exam or anything at all.

Don't worry too much about the shots or the exam!

Citizenship

...and I was worrying about this too...haha! thank goodness i got the answer even before asking. Yay.

TIMELINE :

Nov 16th, 2006 Sent I-129F to VSC - overnighted

Nov 20th, 2006 NOA1

Dec 4th, 2006 NOA2 !!!!! Dang...that was fast.. thank you GOD....

Dec 12th, 2006 E-mail from NVC : Petition forwarded to US Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

Dec 14th, 2006 E-mail from US Embassy in Jakarta : Packet 3

Jan 08th, 2007 Medical exam! --- Done! Dunno the result tho......... =/

Feb 06th, 2007 Sent packet 3 back to the Embassy with DHL!!!

Feb 15th, 2007 Packet 4 (By phone...)

Feb 22nd, 2007 Interview date!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Apr 15th, 2007 POE : Detroit

May 04th, 2007 Barefoot wedding at Hutchinson Island, FL

May 09th, 2007 Applied for SSN

May 18th, 2007 SSN Received

June 9th, 2007 AOS + EAD paperwork sent

June 15th, 2007 NOA1 for AOS and EAD

June 18th, 2007 CHECKS CASHED (for both AOS and EAD)

July 10th, 2007 Biometrics Appt.

Aug 02nd, 2007 AOS transferred to CSC

Aug 22nd, 2007 EAD card production ordered!

Aug 29th, 2007 Greencard production ordered!!

Aug 31st, 2007 EAD card received

Sept 7th, 2007 2 Year Greencard received

June 24, 2009 I-751 sent (Priority Mail)

June 29, 2009 NOA 1

July 31, 2009 Biometrics

Oct 30, 2009 Card production ordered!!!

Nov 06, 2009 10 Year Greencard received

Timeline

If you are over 25 years old that the Hep B vaccination is contra-indicated - at least that's what they told me (I'm 27) and why I did not receive mine. Normally Hep B is given in three doses 1st one, then 2nd after a month and then 3rd one after around 6 months or in some cases after a year (kind of like tetanus shots). If you start the vaccination you just need the proof that you are under regime and that the other shots will be received after your interview. Best of luck!

Mel

Thank you so much! I wonder where on earth they find these panel physicians at because it seems like some of them are even confused. The panel physician told me to get the Hep B, MMR, Varicella, Diptheria, tetanus, and Polio. i think that was it. See, yesterday AFTER I posted this message on here, I happened to find my vaccination checklist ... I also read on there that Hep B was not required. I think it said until age 19. I am 31 lol.

Ok, I guess I will call these people in Berlin back and tell them that they need to get their info right. I dont want to get anything unnecessary. Not to mention, Hep B vaccination will cost me 65 euros. The other vaccinations were covered by my insurance.

Just to make sure I get things correct, what vaccinations did you have to get? I was told I needed all for my age because I lost my original vaccination record. I'm confused!

Thank you so much for your reply!

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Timeline
I was never told I needed Hep B shots. According to the vaccination list (from my Packet 3), if you are 18 and older, you don't need the Hep B shots for immigration purposes.

vaccinationlistkz7.jpg

Oh gosh, according to that list, I got one that I didnt even need. The one I am missing is varicella. I already had chicken pox though so do I need that anyway? Thank you for that list!

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Timeline
That's a good question.

I didn't think that those applying for this visa need the vaccines now to travel - but will for the AOS so they get them now.

My fiance also is supposed to get his last shot in March and we may have our interview then.

Years ago, I had that problem when travelling abroad and they gave me my final shot a few weeks early if I remember correctly.

According to the Embassy website, I don't need these shots. However, the Dr who did my exam in Berlin says I need them now. He wont send off my exam paperwork UNTIL he receives my shot record.So now Im trying to rush to get all these shots so I can mail him my record. Im so overwhelmed and stressed out!

I wish I would have never left the states a few years ago - I wouldn't be going through this now! I actually got my permanent resident card when I was 7. I lived in Texas ALL of my life. I left Texas in 2002 though and had NO clue that I needed a re-entry permit or anything. So now, here I am, having to go through this crazy process all over again.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Thank you so much! I wonder where on earth they find these panel physicians at because it seems like some of them are even confused. The panel physician told me to get the Hep B, MMR, Varicella, Diptheria, tetanus, and Polio. i think that was it. See, yesterday AFTER I posted this message on here, I happened to find my vaccination checklist ... I also read on there that Hep B was not required. I think it said until age 19. I am 31 lol.

Ok, I guess I will call these people in Berlin back and tell them that they need to get their info right. I dont want to get anything unnecessary. Not to mention, Hep B vaccination will cost me 65 euros. The other vaccinations were covered by my insurance.

Just to make sure I get things correct, what vaccinations did you have to get? I was told I needed all for my age because I lost my original vaccination record. I'm confused!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Not a single one! I just went to our local public health institution for them to write down in the WHO Vaccination book all the vaccinations I received, they did, I brought that yellow booklet to the medical exam and was all set. :dance:

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Interesting... I am 22 and they still gave me hepatitis b shot last time i went for my med exam....

TIMELINE :

Nov 16th, 2006 Sent I-129F to VSC - overnighted

Nov 20th, 2006 NOA1

Dec 4th, 2006 NOA2 !!!!! Dang...that was fast.. thank you GOD....

Dec 12th, 2006 E-mail from NVC : Petition forwarded to US Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

Dec 14th, 2006 E-mail from US Embassy in Jakarta : Packet 3

Jan 08th, 2007 Medical exam! --- Done! Dunno the result tho......... =/

Feb 06th, 2007 Sent packet 3 back to the Embassy with DHL!!!

Feb 15th, 2007 Packet 4 (By phone...)

Feb 22nd, 2007 Interview date!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Apr 15th, 2007 POE : Detroit

May 04th, 2007 Barefoot wedding at Hutchinson Island, FL

May 09th, 2007 Applied for SSN

May 18th, 2007 SSN Received

June 9th, 2007 AOS + EAD paperwork sent

June 15th, 2007 NOA1 for AOS and EAD

June 18th, 2007 CHECKS CASHED (for both AOS and EAD)

July 10th, 2007 Biometrics Appt.

Aug 02nd, 2007 AOS transferred to CSC

Aug 22nd, 2007 EAD card production ordered!

Aug 29th, 2007 Greencard production ordered!!

Aug 31st, 2007 EAD card received

Sept 7th, 2007 2 Year Greencard received

June 24, 2009 I-751 sent (Priority Mail)

June 29, 2009 NOA 1

July 31, 2009 Biometrics

Oct 30, 2009 Card production ordered!!!

Nov 06, 2009 10 Year Greencard received

Filed: Timeline

Magnolia31,

Vaccinations are not required for non-immigrant visas, including the K visas.

They will be required for adjustment of status, however.

Yodrak

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Magnolia31,

Yodrak

Yodrak, could a nonimmigrant be stopped or turned away at the POE for not having any vaccinations? In other words, could this be open for interpretation by the immigration officers...

U.S. immigration law requires that ALL intending immigrants be vaccinated against certain vaccine-preventable

diseases before they can be admitted to the United States for permanent residence.

Filed: Timeline

Steven_and_Jinky,

They shouldn't deny admission. A K-visa holder is not being admitted for permanent residence.

Perhaps Zyggy will have something more to say about the issue.

Yodrak

Magnolia31,

Yodrak

Yodrak, could a nonimmigrant be stopped or turned away at the POE for not having any vaccinations? In other words, could this be open for interpretation by the immigration officers...

U.S. immigration law requires that ALL intending immigrants be vaccinated against certain vaccine-preventable

diseases before they can be admitted to the United States for permanent residence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.