Emmaj

Confused About Interview Paperwork.

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My fiance and I are on the final leg of our visa application, almost. But I am confused about the forms I need to fill out, and when to send what.

Firstly,

1) Do I send form DS-230I BEFORE I send the rest of my package?

2) Do I schedule my medical before I know the date of my interview, or afterwards?

3) Where does for DS-160 come into play?

Please help, I'm so confused!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi!

maybe you should ask this in your regional forum? Because this changes depending on the country... The page that is most helpful is your embassy's page. Is it in Canberra? (that's the one I found after a quick search) The instructions (that you may already have) are here:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html

You probably need to ask other people from Australia...

In my case, I filled in the DS-160 first because you can save it for a whole month and then finalize it when you need to and print the confirmation page for your embassy. That's what I did! It's a pretty long online form but it's good that you can retrieve it; you just need to save the number that they give you and remember the answer to a security question.

The other two questions are more country-specific. I don't see any mention of the DS-230I but you might be going to another embassy...

Sorry I can't help much! If I were you I'd look in the regional forum for Australia and ask there.

Good luck! smile.png

OUR TIMELINE (not completed yet!)

I-129F Sent: Dec 20th 2013

I-129F NOA1: Jan 3rd 2014 (notification received by e-mail and text message; hard copy received on Jan 10th)
I-129F NOA2: Jan 27th 2014 (notification through USCIS mailing list; hard copy received on Feb 3rd)
NVC Received: Feb 07th 2014 (verified through phone call; no notification received)
NVC Left: Feb 11th 2014 (CEAC status changed to "in transit"; called NVC to verify)
Processed at Consulate: Feb 20th 2014 (I sent the embassy an e-mail on Feb 18th and they replied Feb 21st saying that they had received my case the day before)
Package 3 received: Feb 21st 2014 (sent by embassy through e-mail attachment; it was a Word document; they usually send it through regular mail)
Package 3 sent: Feb 24th 2014 (received at the consulate Feb 25th; I know this because I sent a certified letter with online tracking)
Interview date: April 30th 2014 (notification received by e-mail on March 21st; hard copy received on March 26th)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I forgot one link!

Medical examination:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/med_exam_instructions.html

(again, sorry if you're going to another embassy but all embassies have a similar page to this, just type in the city's name and you'll have the specific instructions for that embassy)

OUR TIMELINE (not completed yet!)

I-129F Sent: Dec 20th 2013

I-129F NOA1: Jan 3rd 2014 (notification received by e-mail and text message; hard copy received on Jan 10th)
I-129F NOA2: Jan 27th 2014 (notification through USCIS mailing list; hard copy received on Feb 3rd)
NVC Received: Feb 07th 2014 (verified through phone call; no notification received)
NVC Left: Feb 11th 2014 (CEAC status changed to "in transit"; called NVC to verify)
Processed at Consulate: Feb 20th 2014 (I sent the embassy an e-mail on Feb 18th and they replied Feb 21st saying that they had received my case the day before)
Package 3 received: Feb 21st 2014 (sent by embassy through e-mail attachment; it was a Word document; they usually send it through regular mail)
Package 3 sent: Feb 24th 2014 (received at the consulate Feb 25th; I know this because I sent a certified letter with online tracking)
Interview date: April 30th 2014 (notification received by e-mail on March 21st; hard copy received on March 26th)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

You only need to worry about doing the DS-160 which replaced DS-230. I know the letter they send out is very confusing. So send everything they ask in the packet 3 checklist(police checks, financial support paperwork etc) and sign the form that comes with it and fill your ds-160 online and you'll be good.

Make your medical appt. before, I had mine the day before because I am from ACT(saved doing 2 trips) , but I had to wait for them to get results to get my final approval. If you can go a week or 2 before then, you will get your approval at interview.

Hope that helps, good luck

K1 Visa

Service Center :California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2013-09-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-09-26

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-11-15

NVC Received : 2014-01-04

Packet 3 Received : 2014-01-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2014-01-27

Packet 4 Received :2014-02-07

Interview Date :2014-02-18

Visa Received : 2014-02-27

US Entry : 2014-03-17

Marriage : 2014-03-18

Adjustment of Status, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2014-04-25

NOA Date : 2014-05-02

Interview: 2014-07-09

Approval: 2014-07-09

Green Card Mailed: 2014-07-15

Green Card Received: 2014-07-18

Lifting of Conditions

Filed: 2016-04-13

NOA Date : 2016-04-21

Biometrics: 2016-05-04

RFE - 2016-11-22

Approved -2016-12-15

Card Mailed 1016-12-20

Card in hands : 2016-12-23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Australia regional - topic is specific to going through Australia and most accurate answers may be found there ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

As others have said, definitely go ahead and schedule a medical now before your interview (unless travelling to Sydney is a pain for you). Sometimes the George St Medical Centre in Sydney is a little backlogged - When I called, they took my name and number and called me back at the end of the week when they knew they could get me an appointment. The appointment was i think 3 weeks later? I can't really remember.

Dr Waks is very good by the way, just make sure your immunisation details are up to scratch well before the medical. (And a blood test to check for Chicken Pox Immunity if you have no recorded proof of having it - you can get this done at your local doctor and claim it on Medicare. NOTHING at the medical is eligible for a rebate from Medicare so take this into consideration when boosters/ shots are extra at the Medical)

Edited by Rinni1990

252682in41fsxg03.gif018_zpsa5a9e9c6.gif

VJsig_zps1efa13bd.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

As others have said, definitely go ahead and schedule a medical now before your interview (unless travelling to Sydney is a pain for you). Sometimes the George St Medical Centre in Sydney is a little backlogged - When I called, they took my name and number and called me back at the end of the week when they knew they could get me an appointment. The appointment was i think 3 weeks later? I can't really remember.

Dr Waks is very good by the way, just make sure your immunisation details are up to scratch well before the medical. (And a blood test to check for Chicken Pox Immunity if you have no recorded proof of having it - you can get this done at your local doctor and claim it on Medicare. NOTHING at the medical is eligible for a rebate from Medicare so take this into consideration when boosters/ shots are extra at the Medical)

That's about how it went for me too, medical clinic called me back a week after and got the appointment 3 weeks after. So a month to get appointment. I also got Dr. Waks and only have good things to say. If I was stressed out before the appointment, it was all gone 5 minutes in with him. That's one doctor that you know loves his job.

Like Rinni said for the immunisation check at a GP before, that was all free to me,

What they want is:

• DTP (Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis)
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) if born in 1957 or later (blood tests to check for immunity if no records available)
  • Chicken Pox (Varicella) (Blood tests to check for immunity if no records available
  • Flu Vaccine (for Medicals during 01 Apr to 31 Oct only)

GP blood check showed I wasn't immune to Mumps, so I got MMR done and DTP(didn't get that checked, just given since it should be re-done every 3 years)

K1 Visa

Service Center :California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2013-09-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-09-26

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-11-15

NVC Received : 2014-01-04

Packet 3 Received : 2014-01-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2014-01-27

Packet 4 Received :2014-02-07

Interview Date :2014-02-18

Visa Received : 2014-02-27

US Entry : 2014-03-17

Marriage : 2014-03-18

Adjustment of Status, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2014-04-25

NOA Date : 2014-05-02

Interview: 2014-07-09

Approval: 2014-07-09

Green Card Mailed: 2014-07-15

Green Card Received: 2014-07-18

Lifting of Conditions

Filed: 2016-04-13

NOA Date : 2016-04-21

Biometrics: 2016-05-04

RFE - 2016-11-22

Approved -2016-12-15

Card Mailed 1016-12-20

Card in hands : 2016-12-23

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

That's about how it went for me too, medical clinic called me back a week after and got the appointment 3 weeks after. So a month to get appointment. I also got Dr. Waks and only have good things to say. If I was stressed out before the appointment, it was all gone 5 minutes in with him. That's one doctor that you know loves his job.

Definitely. I really loathe going to the Doctor and I too was a nervous wreck hoping I didn't have to pay more than what I expected. Dr. Waks was very friendly and professional. I had a bit of a chuckle when we were doing balance checks - felt like some crazy yoga exercises.

The hike to the X-Ray place was -fun-, and if you're not too familiar with Sydney, Dr. Waks will likely give you a map. So it was easy to find. It's a MUCH easier walk back to the Medical Centre (It was all downhill!). I really hope I have a positive interview experience too now. Waiting for packet 4 currently.

Edited by Rinni

252682in41fsxg03.gif018_zpsa5a9e9c6.gif

VJsig_zps1efa13bd.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.