LibCampFireClub

Letter of Intent to Marry

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Other posters have talked about the behemoth bureaucracy of the USCIS and quibbling about this. I looked at your links, and believe it may be a matter of drawing straws as to whether the government person who reads it, accepts a copy of not. Probably not worth putting oneself into getting an RFE. For this case, they sent in a fax copy of the letter of intent already in response to the RFE. Can only hope it works out. So, if they don't like it, do you think they will send another RFE, or what?

I definitely think it depends on the adjudicator, as some receive an RFE for copies and some do not. This is why I advise people to send in original signatures so they can avoid a potential RFE.

I would like to hope that if they are not happy with the scanned version, they would send another RFE asking for an original. I do not know what a picky adjudicator may do though.

I also agree that if they want originals and will send out an RFE for a copy, then they need to state original signatures are required right there in the I-129F instructions. It would be quite helpful.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I believe I would continue sending orginal letters of intent until they (USCIS) issue a memo like they issued for the G-325A forms requiring original signatures for the I-129F forms.

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Timeline

Just a note: only your first link indicates they received an RFE for not sending an original copy. The other links are just discussion about it.

All the links are of people stating they received an RFE for the letter of intent, some for scanned versions and some for originals that they thought appeared to be copies. The last link is in a thread where the OP posted their actual RFE in post #34 of that thread.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I know most of you don't trust lawyers but here is what he told me. I contacted him personally about this and he has said with other clients he has relied on notarized statements via fax and they were successful petitions even in the last 60 days he said.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

One thing to think about when reading legal verbiage. The intent of the statement. In this case we are talking about original vs copied. The intent here is so there if there are items that giving the USCS could not be recreated or could be lost and not replaced. Sending in an original boarding pass as evidence would be bad because it can not be recreated. Sending in a original letter is not bad if lost because it can be recreated.

I believe that the copy verbiage was added to address this issue and therefor would not apply to things like the letter of intent.

Filed: Other Timeline

I know most of you don't trust lawyers but here is what he told me. I contacted him personally about this and he has said with other clients he has relied on notarized statements via fax and they were successful petitions even in the last 60 days he said.

Well, since you're the one this thread is about, let's wait and see what happens in the next several days. They will receive your notarized letter of intent, signed by your fiance in the UK, and faxed from the UK notary office either today, or tomorrow. In my view, this letter falls into the same category as an unsigned G-325a, for which the USCIS issued a memo in 2005 to stop sending RFE's as it could be signed at the interview.

Wish you good luck, and keep us posted.

Filed: Other Timeline

What is so difficult about obtaining a letter with an original signature?

As much as everyone tries to get it right, there are times when things do go wrong. We have members here who are in trouble and sometimes need help and support. Your post is not helpful.

As much as everyone tries to get it right, there are times when things do go wrong. We have members here who are in trouble and sometimes need help and support. Your post is not helpful.

Just honestly wondering what the difficulty is. The letter does not need to be notarized, witnessed, or even typed. It only needs to be one sentence long and then signed, sealed, delivered.

Just an update for everyone here. I sent a notarized faxed statement of a letter of intent to USCIS. And guess what? WE GOT OUR NOA2 WE HAVE BEEN APPROVED! SO FAXED STATEMENTS DO WORK!! HAHAHA!!!

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

After everyone saying that a faxed statement won't work well it worked and we have our approval. It proves to me to invest a little less faith in this forum.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

I don't think everyone said it... I would have a little less faith in them rather than in the forum... the forum is just a tool for ideas... you don't blame the car for a backseat driver...

Oh, and congrats btw!

K1 Timeline:

02/28/2014 - I-129F Submitted
04/08/2014 - I-129F NOA2 Received

07/03/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 1 (Result: Sputum Culture)

09/18/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 2 (Result: Passed)

10/14/2014 - K1 Visa Interview (Result: Approved)

10/23/2014 - K1 Visa Issued

11/09/2014 - Entered USA (POE: Los Angeles)

01/02/2015 - Wedding Day

AOS Timeline:

03/02/2015 - I-485 Submitted (with I-765 & I-131)

03/13/2015 - I-485 NOA Received (with NOA for I-765 & I-131)

03/30/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

05/12/2015 - I-785 & I-131 Approved

05/20/2015 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

06/10/2015 - AOS Interview (Result: Approved)

06/18/2015 - Conditional Green Card Received

ROC Timeline:

05/15/2017 - I-751 Submitted 
05/26/2017 - I-751 NOA Received 
06/13/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

07/18/2017 - Extension NOA Received (twelve month extension)
03/05/2018 - I-751 Received by Local Office
04/20/2018 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on Passport, six-month extension)

06/18/2018 - Extension NOA Received (eighteen month extension)

10/29/2019 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on new Passport)

11/06/2019 - I-751 Approved

11/14/2019 - Permanent Green Card Received

Timeline

Just an update for everyone here. I sent a notarized faxed statement of a letter of intent to USCIS. And guess what? WE GOT OUR NOA2 WE HAVE BEEN APPROVED! SO FAXED STATEMENTS DO WORK!! HAHAHA!!!

It was stated in this thread and others here on VJ that sometimes a copy is accepted and sometimes it is not. Your faxed letter does not set the mandate for all petition processing. Nothing needs to be notarized in this process, but in this case, I actually think it is what helped, since notarization is to witness the signature of someone and make sure the person that signs is who they say they are.

Congrats on your petition approval.

I do not get the 'hahaha' stuff. This kind of silliness is what makes me think I should follow others in their exit from this site and trying to help people out here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I took a "photocopy" of my fiance's own "Letter of intent" to marry during my interview and it was accepted.

But during when we were filling the 129, we didn't use any ''photocopy". We used the "originally" signed letter of intent.

Started Talking===================: 2012

Met in person====================: May 2013

K-1 (i-129):

USCIS:

Got engaged=====================: May 2013

Filed i-129=======================: Aug 2013

NO1============================: Aug 8, 2013

RFE============================: September 2013

NO2============================: October 15, 2013,

NVC:

Received:

Case#===========================: October 28, 2013

Approved ========================: October 2013

Sent=============================: November 2013

Embassy (Yaounde, Cameroon):

Received=========================: November 2013

Packet 3 (Instructions) ==============: December 2013

Interview=========================: January 28, 2014

RFE ============================: February 2014

2nd RFE=========================: March 2014

Results (Final decision) =============: April 2, 2014 (Denied. CEAC Website still says AP)

IR-1/CR-1 (i-130):

USCIS:

Got married=======================: May 8, 2014

Filed i-130========================: September 9, 2014

NO1=============================: September 11, 2014

Filed Expedite Request==============: October 3, 2014 (Approved)

NO2=============================: November 3, 2014

NVC:

Received=========================: December 22, 2014

Case#:

Filed Expedite Request==============: Feb 11, 2015

(Approved By Embassy-Yaounde, Cameroon

but says case must be completed by NVC first before the can proceed with the request)

Expedite Request Approved==========: February 27, 2015

AOS Invoiced / Received DS-261======: January 30, 2015

AOS Paid online===================: January 30, 2015

IV Invoiced=======================: February 18, 2015

IV Paid Online ====================: February 18, 2015

AOS & IV package sent off===========: February 20, 2015

Scanned date=====================: February 23, 2015

Checklist=========================: March 27, 2015

2nd Scanned date==================: April 3, 2015

Case Complete ====================: April 24, 2015

Appointment Date ==================: Expedited. Date by Embassy. (Tuesday June 23, 2015 at 9a.m )

Sent=============================: May 1, 2015

Embassy (Yaounde, Cameroon):

Received =========================: May 5, 2015

Packet 3 & Packet 4 (Instructions) ======: May 11, 2015

Interview =========================: Tuesday June 23, 2015 at 9a.m

Results===========================: APPROVED!

Visa in hand =====================: July 9, 2015

U.S.A.

Port Of Entry=======================: New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport (July 11, 2015)

Applied for SSN====================: July 22, 2015

Received SSN====================: July 27, 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.