B_J

Discriminating Against Gays 'UnChristian'

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Any type of discrimination is at odds with the new testament...

However it is very easy and quintessentially American to hide hatred in the shadow of a cross..

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Iconic San Antonio Pastor Rev. Buckner Fanning is rejecting claims by Arizona Christians that they need a law that will allow them to discriminate against gays and gay couples in the name or religion, telling 1200 WOAI's Michael Board, "Arizona, read the Bible."

A law which has passed the Arizona Legislature would allow companies to claim that their Christian faith prohibits them from providing goods or services to gays. The Arizona Governor is considering whether to veto the law.

Fanning says Christianity has nothing to do with race, color, or sexual preference.

"What did Jesus do, anybody whosoever calls upon Him, He will help you and lift you up and give you peace," Fanning said.

"That's what they need to be talking about in Arizona. They need to be talking about what Jesus said 2,000 years ago and come together and pray for each other."

This is not the first time Fanning has taken a bold stand which breaks with many fundamentalist or evangelical Protestant beliefs. In the 1960s, as pastor of the influential Trinity Baptist Church, Fanning was an early supporter of desegregation and equal rights for African Americans. His preaching of inclusion to his all white congregation is credited with helping San Antonio avoid the racial rancor which ripped other Southern cities during that period.

Fanning told 1200 WOAI news he would say to Arizona the same thing he said to white San Antonians fifty years ago.

"We're all in a leaky boat on a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty," Fanning said. "We're in the same boat, so lets stop fighting in the boat."

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-sponsored-by-five-119078/iconic-pastor-buckner-fanning-discriminating-against-12102060/#ixzz2uRh3EvT9

Good for him. The whole tale of Jesus was how he tore down the rule filled legalistic church, so it could be filled with love and acceptance.

Jesus had nothing to say about gays for or against.

They did not have Gays back then

True. But he did speak about how we should treat others.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan speaks about this. Who is the neighbor? The one who had mercy. "Go and do likewise."

And Matthew 25 - The Sheep and the Goats. "Whatever you did not do for the least of these, you did not do for me."

Even if God despises homosexuals (which I don't believe) Jesus seems to be saying that we should treat them with love and kindness.

Filed: Timeline

Should we really be talking about homosexuals on a family friendly site?

It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know we'll be talking about how gay people hook up overseas looking for their next K1, gay marriage ceremonies (hedonistic, no doubt), etcetera.

Edited by mota bhai

Should we really be talking about homosexuals on a family friendly site?

It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know we'll be talking about how gay people hook up overseas looking for their next K1, gay marriage ceremonies (hedonistic, no doubt), etcetera.

I'm sorry.

And, isn't it "sticky slope"?

Filed: Timeline

That's not entirely true. Now, let me first say that I am not a Christian now, though I did attend Bible school many-a-year-ago. Today I am in full support of same sex couples. However, it's difficult to ignore what Jesus did say with regard to Sodom and Gomorrah. He was referring to the treatment the only righteous people left in the city and how indignant and terrible it was. This is only one of the many reasons I left the Christian church, but I will always hold fast to protecting the rights of religious freedom; well, as long as it's not harming others that is.

Matthew 11:20-24

Whenever you enter a town or village, find out who is worthy there and stay with them until you leave. As you enter the house, give it greetings. And if the house is worthy, let your peace come on it, but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. And if anyone will not welcome you or listen to your message, shake the dust off your feet as you leave that house or that town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for the region of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town!

Matthew 11:20-24
Then Jesus began to criticize openly the cities in which he had done many of his miracles, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you! And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be thrown down to Hades! For if the miracles done among you had been done in Sodom, it would have continued to this day. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for the region of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you!”

I'm sorry.

And, isn't it "sticky slope"?

It's hard swimming with the unwashed masses, just because Penny and you never heard of something, does not mean it is not accurate

Sticky Slopes Manifest

http://www.californialawreview.org/assets/pdfs/101-5/02-Schraub.pdf

What’s the Opposite of a Slippery Slope? A Sticky Slope. Interesting new article.

http://joshblackman.com/blog/2009/12/18/whats-the-opposite-of-a-slippery-slope-a-sticky-slope-interesting-new-article/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You got lucky...........

It's hard swimming with the unwashed masses, just because Penny and you never heard of something, does not mean it is not accurate

Sticky Slopes Manifest

http://www.californialawreview.org/assets/pdfs/101-5/02-Schraub.pdf

What’s the Opposite of a Slippery Slope? A Sticky Slope. Interesting new article.

http://joshblackman.com/blog/2009/12/18/whats-the-opposite-of-a-slippery-slope-a-sticky-slope-interesting-new-article/

I refuse to acknowledge sticky slope just like I refuse to acknowledge the zipper merge in traffic.

You got lucky...........

No I actually meant to say Sticky Slope. seriously

Denying one persons rights to satisfy another is a sticky slope.