zoom_

visit boyfriend on vwp/ esta ?

41 posts in this topic

I could have added this in my previous post, but got so caught up in my question... I have visited my boyfriend in the US before on VWP, and when I first told the officer I was visiting a friend, he asked me if I meant boyfriend. I said yes, he asked if we were getting married, I told him not yet, and he sent me on my way. I was approved for the full 90 days, wasn't even asked for return ticket.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

They can be a lil cranky when it comes to visit boyfriend but only been questioned that one time and that was mostley because i didnt have my return ticket printed. I only used his address so don't know if that would cause a problem. Don't know if ur ownership of the dog do much for you but bring the rest you got. I haven't translated anything to English, but like I said they never asked for anything more then that one time. I had problem when my first stop was in Minneapolis, so I avoid that airport now.. Lol:) nicest customs I met been in San Francisco so I always try to go there as first stop:) maybe your boss can write a note on when you are expected back for work?

2014-05-12: I 129f sent to Dallas lock box

2014-05-21: Noa1, application sent to California Service Center

2014-05-23: Alien registration number was change

2014-06-12: Noa2 by text and email (22 days)

2014-06-16: Noa 2 hardcopy

2014-07-03: E-mail from Embassy with package 3

2014-07-16: Medical exam

2014-08-14: visa interview

2014-08-14: RFE

2014-08-20: RFE sent

2014-09-14: RFE came back in mail

2014-09-25: RFE sent again

2014-10-07: Approved!!!

2014-10-09: visa in hand!

2014-11-13: Daughters crba and us passport in hand

2014-12-09: POE Phoenix

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

They can be a lil cranky when it comes to visit boyfriend but only been questioned that one time and that was mostley because i didnt have my return ticket printed. I only used his address so don't know if that would cause a problem. Don't know if ur ownership of the dog do much for you but bring the rest you got. I haven't translated anything to English, but like I said they never asked for anything more then that one time. I had problem when my first stop was in Minneapolis, so I avoid that airport now.. Lol:) nicest customs I met been in San Francisco so I always try to go there as first stop:) maybe your boss can write a note on when you are expected back for work?

aah i see i thought u always got stopt at poe if i already got stopt once hopefully they let me pass without hassles this time. yes my boss can sign a paper of when i'm expected back but is gonna be in swedish i guess the dates are most important. hope her note and letter of employment is enough and of course the return ticket tack för svaren smile.png

I used to say I was visiting friends, and would get asked a myriad of harmless questions. It would make me a bit nervous, but I was never asked to show any proof or to go to secondary.

The last time I went, I simply said I was visiting my boyfriend and was stamped in with no other questions asked other than how long I planned to stay (two weeks and two days).

I think it helped that I made very short, infrequent trips.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

hello,

i am also scandinavian here ( norge)... well... my experience is DON'T TELL THEM YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND there!

i was denied entry because i said my purpose is to visit the love of my heart and i had a return etc..

they sent me back to London.. as the thing is if u say u are going to visit your boyfriend/ girlfriend, then they think that he or she may want to marry you.. and this in itself is a reason for denying... yes, so in any case, please bring docs of work and apartment etc. and return ticket and very important to leave on time... I don't want anyone to go through what I did, it was very traumatic and took a long time to get over.. and now i can not use the VWP ever again and need to apply for a tourist visa which isn't always easy to get when one is born in VWP country. However~ being denied entry does not mean that one will be denied a K1 or spousal visa in the future, but it does mean you need a visa to visit! Good luck, I will think you will be fine. And a few weeks or 3 months is enough between each visit, esp, if they ae short and you are returning to a place out of North America as Canada and Mexico out of some counts on the 90 days on VWP which isn't written anywhere , but it is so...I flew in from Mexico when I got sent back to London... not fun... when I came to London they gave my pass port back and I said.."I m glad we are welcome here..." The guy said" You will always be welcome here" and that they had people being sent back from the US every day... LYKKE TIL!! <3

hello,

i am also scandinavian here ( norge)... well... my experience is DON'T TELL THEM YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND there!

i was denied entry because i said my purpose is to visit the love of my heart and i had a return etc..

they sent me back to London.. as the thing is if u say u are going to visit your boyfriend/ girlfriend, then they think that he or she may want to marry you.. and this in itself is a reason for denying... yes, so in any case, please bring docs of work and apartment etc. and return ticket and very important to leave on time... I don't want anyone to go through what I did, it was very traumatic and took a long time to get over.. and now i can not use the VWP ever again and need to apply for a tourist visa which isn't always easy to get when one is born in VWP country. However~ being denied entry does not mean that one will be denied a K1 or spousal visa in the future, but it does mean you need a visa to visit! Good luck, I will think you will be fine. And a few weeks or 3 months is enough between each visit, esp, if they ae short and you are returning to a place out of North America as Canada and Mexico out of some counts on the 90 days on VWP which isn't written anywhere , but it is so...I flew in from Mexico when I got sent back to London... not fun... when I came to London they gave my pass port back and I said.."I m glad we are welcome here..." The guy said" You will always be welcome here" and that they had people being sent back from the US every day... LYKKE TIL!! <3

Just out of curiosity, did you have documents proving ties to Norway when you were denied? In general I was under the impression that you should never lie to the officer - so if he asks specifically if you're visiting your boyfriend, you shouldn't lie and say no...

When I used to visit my (now) husband, I flew out 3 times in one year on a VWP and I had no problems. The first time I flew out for 2 weeks in the February, then for 90 days in June, then another 90 days in the November. The 3rd time I was not expecting to get through or to be at least questioned extensively. But no, nothing. I was never asked if I had a boyfriend or a significant other. It was just pure luck. I had a friend years ago who visited their boyfriend and was turned away and sent back to the UK. Its all speculation and just down to luck and the mood of the officer on the day.

I was asked basic questions... you must only offer the information they are requesting. Do not state you are visiting your boyfriend unless you are specifically asked "are you visiting a boyfriend?". I was asked who I was visiting and I simply replied my best friend... He is, so I was not lying. They never asked if I was visiting a "boyfriend" so I never disclosed that I was. If they do specifically ask this then you must always be truthful, never lie. I was asked why I was returning back to America and what I did during my previous visit. I said I enjoyed the Mississippi heat during my last visit (The officer laughed at that which made me relax a bit), and I said I was going to enjoy some serious Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart during my current visit (again he laughed). Just answer honestly and don't make your answers long and overdrawn. Keep it short and sweet. I think you will be fine.

Edited by QueenComley

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Timeline

Just out of curiosity, did you have documents proving ties to Norway when you were denied? In general I was under the impression that you should never lie to the officer - so if he asks specifically if you're visiting your boyfriend, you shouldn't lie and say no...

They took me for seconmd interviewing and didn't ask, i told them, but later i learned that it is a reason for denial. i have also learned to be honest growing up in norway, but some of the ppl working with this are not honest, so info held back is not lying, so if they dont ask, dont say, i just dont want other to go through this. I lived in the UK at the time, not norway, and think i didnt have papers exxcept for bankpapers etc. but they simply didnt wanna let us in ,w e were tortured for 5-6 hours, no food, no drinks, prison toilets... very traumatic... and i have no crimial record. had my 6 year old son with me and this wasnt fair to him.,.

Timeline

Yes, keep it short and sweet, that is important. Some of these people like to grill people and be aware of them wanting power. So just be careful. Not a good place to be if you come for se

cond questioning, We were very tired and didn't understand what was happening. And as said above, you can have pour luck and meet a nice officer , you can have bad luck and meet a stressed out one who does not like you, simply. Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They took me for seconmd interviewing and didn't ask, i told them, but later i learned that it is a reason for denial. i have also learned to be honest growing up in norway, but some of the ppl working with this are not honest, so info held back is not lying, so if they dont ask, dont say, i just dont want other to go through this. I lived in the UK at the time, not norway, and think i didnt have papers exxcept for bankpapers etc. but they simply didnt wanna let us in ,w e were tortured for 5-6 hours, no food, no drinks, prison toilets... very traumatic... and i have no crimial record. had my 6 year old son with me and this wasnt fair to him.,.

You wasn't tortured, I very much doubt that border control have got so bad that they're waterboarding people or breaking out the thumbscrews.

You was questioned for a valid reason. You had overstayed on VWP so were therefore inadmissible under that category.

You had taken a short trip to a neighbouring country and tried re-entering. The US government got wise to that trick long ago and look out for it.

You were probably treated exactly the same as anyone else would have been trying to enter without a correct visa.

It probably was very traumatic for you, and doubly for your son, but far from being tortured.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

my boyfriend said he never had any problems. he would just come and they would let him in.

We met, we dated, we got married, filed the papers to stay here, and now we're waiting for a green card!

Timeline

my boyfriend said he never had any problems. he would just come and they would let him in.

Good for you... !

I am leaving this forum, a waste of time and some negative people who has nothing better to do... good luck everyone! I don't need to hear this anymore after all these years and yes it was torture... very much so for my son, how can u know it was not, you were not there the one posting above?

You are correct... NEVER lie. All your answers are documented and could come and bite you on the butt later down the line.

As renatesol has stated, if you are SPECIFICALLY asked "are you visiting a boyfriend?" you must answer "yes".

Everyone who is going through their own personal visa journey on this forum will tell you the same... never ever lie.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good for you... !

I am leaving this forum, a waste of time and some negative people who has nothing better to do... good luck everyone! I don't need to hear this anymore after all these years and yes it was torture... very much so for my son, how can u know it was not, you were not there the one posting above?

My apologies if you feel you was being picked on.

But I'm sure there are people in countries less civilised than yours and mine that would dispute that spending a few hours uncomfortable and uncertain of what is going to happen can be called torture. Torture would be having someone beating you or threatening your life.

What you fail to realise is that you didn't follow the rules. The VWP is for temporary visits only, not to live in the US. And taking short visits to neighbouring countries doesn't reset the time.

It was unfortunate what happened to you but that is the consequences of your actions.

And that comes from someone who received a ten year ban for overstaying the VWP. I've served the ban but there's a chance I will never be able to visit the US again due to my actions. As much as I hate it I accept that it was my own fault, ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse. I didn't realise how serious my mistake was, but the US takes immigration a lot more seriously than European countries.

You think you was tortured? I haven't seen my children in 6 1/2 years as they're in the States and my ex wont bring them to the UK. My little girl had her 10th birthday on Monday, she was 3 last time I saw her.

I hope you have better luck than I did when you apply for your B2.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

i'm sorry to hear some of u got denied entry. this is what i am afraid of because i already was sent to secondary screening during my first visit and got my trip shorted -.-i was visiting family/relatives. this is my first time going to visit him I will bring proofs of ties to sweden employment letter bank statement certificate that i start school courses in late november since i just plan to stay 2 or 1 week. not even sure if i'm going november or october. anything else i can bring with me i have no lease i live with my friend we both pay but the apartment is in her name.

also will they ask me about my previous stay should i have my relatives phone numbers with me in case the wanna call i dont know for what reason but u never know with cbp ? i know they are just doing their job

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.