IgorT

"Describe how you met" question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I'm about to file a K-1 Visa and getting some things finalized. I will be writing a page regarding the question "describe the circumstances under which you met".

I went to visit my fiancee in my home country, where I used to live for 11 years when I was little. Should I mention that in the letter in hopes of giving me an advantage or the embassy might see it as a negative. We still have an apartment there and thats where I stayed for the time being, so no hotel records are present for me.

Any input would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Igor

Tell the truth. Lying will get you denied.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tell the truth. Lying will get you denied.

I couldn’t agree more, tell the truth and explain how you met.

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2013-02-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-02-26

I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-06-17

RFE Reply(s) : 2013-07-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-08

Interview Date : 2013-08-09

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2013-08-15

US Entry : 2013-08-17

Marriage : 2013-09-13

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2013-11-04

NOA Date : 2013-11-06

Bio. Appt. : 2013-12-24

Approved Date : 2013-01-10

Date Card Received : 2014-01-17

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2013-11-04

NOA Date : 2013-11-06

Bio. Appt. : 2013-12-24

Interview Date : 2014-02-06

Approved : Yes

Greencard Received: 2014-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

First and foremost tell the truth as it appears. Second, it is in your favor actually meeting a fiance from your own home country in which you understand the culture and everything. Nobody would care where you stayed, it is secondary or tertiary evidence anyways. What matters most is that you have to show your entry and exit visa stamps to demonstrate you actually visited the country where you fiance lives. Don't forget to provide some pics of you and your fiance. In addition, if your fiance is from the high fraud countries... don't forget to front load your petition with substantial amount evidence for ongoing relationship .. yes.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello,

I'm about to file a K-1 Visa and getting some things finalized. I will be writing a page regarding the question "describe the circumstances under which you met".

I went to visit my fiancee in my home country, where I used to live for 11 years when I was little. Should I mention that in the letter in hopes of giving me an advantage or the embassy might see it as a negative. We still have an apartment there and thats where I stayed for the time being, so no hotel records are present for me.

Thank you,

Igor

I think you are confused. They only want you to describe the circumstances of how you met IN PERSON within the last two years.....NOT how you met the first time. The size of the box on the form is how long an answer they expect....about two sentences. There is no need for a long letter.

Save the letter describing your long relationship for the interview.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hello,

Thank you,

Igor

I think it's important to realize who your communicating with and what you are trying to prove. In the case of K1, you must prove you have met face to face at least once in the past two years and also establish that it's a bona fide relationship. Second, you are talking to the US government immigration office who is interested in the facts. Facts can get muddled when you include information that is not required or needed. The more you say beyond what is required the more chance you have to cause additional questions.

Balance your relationship in a timeline form with supporting evidence of photos, receipts, telephone records, and email communication. A nice letter may seem flowery and nice to your friends, but the US government must dig for the facts within that letter.

Try assembling a few photos first that depict the two of you together. Date stamps on photos, while helpful are best if they can be corroborated with a supporting receipt from a hotel, restaurant, or other location that shows you were both there at the same time. For example:

July 27, 2012-Met online. See Email attachment A.

July 28 2012 - September 2012: Continued communication via email and telephone. See telephone logs and email:

August 1, 2012 - August 20, 2012: Visit and meet face to face. See photo attachments and associate receipts, boarding passes, passport stamps.

This is just a suggestion and the way I have presented this evidence in the past. It's mostly a matter of opinion, but in my opinion it can help avoid a 221g later.

Edited by CNTrav

I think you are confused. They only want you to describe the circumstances of how you met IN PERSON within the last two years.....NOT how you met the first time. The size of the box on the form is how long an answer they expect....about two sentences. There is no need for a long letter.

This is not true. People get RFEs for not describing how they came to know eachother.

I agree it should be short though.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

This is not true. People get RFEs for not describing how they came to know eachother.

Baron is CORRECT in part about providing evidence of how you met face to face in the past two years. He is however incorrect that it's the only thing that's important. This is in fact what is MOST important, because if a petitioner is unable to provide evidence of meeting in the previous two years they will be denied outright.

Now, at the same time every petitioner must prove that they have a bona fide relationship, so the OP can mention that they met several years ago, but also include the most important evidence of how they met face to face in the past two years.

It's also important to mention that every petitioner include attached letter of evidence to prove the evolution of their meeting and continuing relationship. If you rely only on typing information on the form, you stand a very good chance for a denial.

Edited by CNTrav

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My current husband is my childhood friend so I just did a timeline.

Example

June 1982 -- Met John in Addis Ababa where I lived

July 1984 -- moved to US and kept in touch with Sally

April 1990 -- went back home to Addis Ababa to visit and stayed with Sally

Etc. Etc.

I hope this helps

Edited by Tosh Love

Love is a gift and not to be earned, therefore one should never hold any regrets for giving love regardless of the outcome...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/share/immigration-and-economy?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=email221-text1&utm_campaign=immigration

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Description of the relationship is not required for the 129f, only at the interview.

I only wrote two sentences and we're approved no RFEs.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I read that it should be a typed, one page statement describing the circumstances under which we met. I believe it was on the VJ Guidelines. I'll see if I can find the direct quote.

Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page attachment regarding question '34.a' of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it

That's what it says on the VJ Guidelines for the K-1.

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We did just a few sentences on an attached form....of that we met online in 2005. We met in 2011 in (LOCATION) and stayed together ____months. we met in 2012 in (LOCATION) and we stayed together ____ months, and we met in 2013 in (LOCATION) and stayed together ___ months. We also briefly explained that we met each others families, and locations we visited while we were together. Every case is different depending on country and your specific case. For some a few sentences is the right amount, for others they feel a page is fine. The most important thing is telling about your meeting FACE to FACE within the past 2 years. Hope this helps! Good Luck. :)

Service Center: California Service Center

Embassy: Rio de Janeiro

Met: August 22, 2005

First Visit: March-April 2011

Second Visit: August-October 2012

Third Visit: August-September 2013

I-129F Sent: 09/14/2013

Package Received: 09/17/2013

NOA1: 09/19/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 09/28/2013

NOA2:10/08/2013

NOA2 Hard Copy: 10/12/2013

18 Days From NOA1 until NOA2

NVC Received: 11/07/2013

Case Number Received: 11/08/2013

Sent to Embassy: 11/12/2013

Emailed Embassy asking if they got case: 11/10/2013

Response, not received yet: 11/13/2013

Emailed embassy again: 11/17/2013

Response, received but no interview date yet: 11/18/2013

Case Touched by Consulate: 11/22/2013

Interview Date: 01/23/2014

Visa Issued: 2/7/2014

POE: Detroit, Michigan. 5/17/2014

This is going so fast and we are so blessed. You will be in my arms soon, My Love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.