mitchanme

Adjusting to midwest life...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, I sold my boat today. I'm having a bit of a moment, I expect the result of selling off all my "stuff". My fiancé lives in Iowa and has never fished nor set foot in a boat. I think it's more about losing the lifestyle rather than the things. Has anyone else moved from coast to definitely not-coast? And what did you do to adjust? The Mississippi is less than an hour away but it sure isn't the same as being minutes away from ocean and lakes. I thought I was prepared for the lifestyle change but apparently not. It must be enormously difficult for those coming from a whole other language and culture. I'll be keeping my house in Canada but want to think of the US as 'home' - so no running back to fish all summer....and winter....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Have you spent considerable time in the Midwest?

If you're a person that knows how to live in the moment, you probably won't worry about the "way things were" when you're in your new situation.

If you're not, then you'll enjoy going back to your home in Canada for a visit every once in a while more than you did when you were there.

Edited by noncompute

The Mississippi is a great one-time visit but not very practical for a normal boating / water experience. Despite looking pretty um.. flat and non-descript there are a surprising number of lakes and interesting spots in the Midwest. Minnesota is known as the land of lakes and Wisconsin and other adjoining states have a number of really pretty ones nearby perfect for a weekend getaway. Nothing stopping you from sharing that aspect as long as she's not actually afraid of water.

Google Maps or http://www.lake-link.com/Iowa-Lake-Finder/ might give you some options nearby you haven't scouted out quite yet.

I always look for water and right now I'm lucky enough to live right off two reasonably big (but currently frozen) lake but miss the mountains.

The wife can't quite swim yet as she also never had that experience growing up really.. still working on that one :) but she loves the water and nature. There are a lot of ways to combine the two with a little planning.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I really feel for you as I live by the coast in the UK and spending two months in the midwest once really made me feel out of place, I really missed the sea. Maybe more frequent but less lengthy trips back to Canada to get your fishing fix?

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

Have a look here:

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Recreation/IowaOutdoorsMagazine/Fishing

There is plenty of boating and fishing and other water-type of activities to be had in Iowa.

Thanks! That's an awesome link. By the way, I'm the wife-to-be, who fishes hunts etc and it's my hubby to be in Iowa who doesn't. I've spent my life a stone's throw from the ocean, even travelling to Europe it's always at the sea, and yes you can feel very lost without it. I think God has a very funny sense of humour who he chooses to hook us up with....

Thanks! That's an awesome link. By the way, I'm the wife-to-be, who fishes hunts etc and it's my hubby to be in Iowa who doesn't. I've spent my life a stone's throw from the ocean, even travelling to Europe it's always at the sea, and yes you can feel very lost without it. I think God has a very funny sense of humour who he chooses to hook us up with....

You'll be fine. Hunting and fishing, Iowa has it.

Is it obvious Iowa is one of my favorite places? High quality of life, low cost of living, genuinely nice people. Yep, that's Iowa.

I hope you're happy there.

<3

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

I moved from a warm sunny location 5 mins away from the Ocean, halfway across the world to Montana...oh how I can relate with how much you miss the ocean.

Oct 2009 Met online
Freb 2010 Proposal!!tongue.png
January 14th 2011 Visit to the US
May 22nd 2011 I-129F sent!
August 22nd 2011 NO2 received!!
September 2011 Stephan meets the parents smile.png
December 6th 2011- Interview date set for December 15th (WOOT!)

December 30 2011 APPROVED!!!!

January 4th 2012- Visa received smile.png

June 11 2012 Entered US

August 13 2012 heart.gif MARRIED heart.gif

Adjustment of Status

June 19th 2013- Mailed AOS/AP/EA

July 2nd 2013- NOA1 received

July 8th 2013- Appointment notice for biometrics

July 19th 2013- Biometrics appointment

July 29th 2013- USCIS status from Initial Review to Request for Evidence (I-485)

July 31st 2013- RFE received in the mail

August 9th 2013- RFE reply sent by mail

Augist 29th 2013- I-765 status changed from Initial Review to Card Production

September 9th 2013- EAD/AP card received by mail

October 21st 2013- GC APPROVED!

November 4th 2013- GC received

September 26th 2015- Mailed I-751

October 1st 2015- NOA1 received

October 19th 2015- Appointment notice for biometrics

October 30th 2015- Biometrics appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There isn't any reason to lose your lifestyle. I grew up in Iowa and spent all of my free time either in my boat or hunting. The Mississippi is awesome, especially in NE Iowa with the bluffs overlooking the river. I camped on islands, ran trot lines in the morning and fished for all kinds of species with rod and reel during the rest of the day. Caught walleye, sauger, northern, all species of catfish, crappie, alligator gar, paddlefish, eels, turtles - all manner of stuff. On the rivers, everything below high water mark is public domain so the isolated camping opportunities are actually enormous. Plenty of parks and wildlife areas but the sand bars on the rivers wending their way through farm country are even better. Before I bought my boat I used a raft and floated truck tire inner tubes behind me stacked with a week of supplies for me and my girlfriend along with chairs, table, tent, etc. We set up five star camps and almost never saw other people.

If a person can't find cool stuff to do wherever they live, it says more about them than the place they are living.

Timeline

Wow, this is a side of Iowa that I haven't seen. Being that hubby-to-be doesn't do any of this stuff, all he showed me was a (dry) man made lake! I'm heading back down there in a couple weeks (god and the border guys willing) and will have my own wheels so I'll be able to check it all out. Iowa certainly is story-book pretty, even the ice on the trees! I'm totally looking forward to getting involved with a 'take a kid fishing' type of group.

Timeline

I moved from a warm sunny location 5 mins away from the Ocean, halfway across the world to Montana...oh how I can relate with how much you miss the ocean.

Oh goodness, one of my favourite places is Nazare in Portugal- especially in winter when there are no tourists. I hope you get to go back lots.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.