one...two...tree

Why is it so hard to find a good Filipino restaurant?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkmenistan
Timeline

Have you tried this place?

http://www.yelp.com/menu/jeepney-new-york/lunch-menu

It was on The Chew earlier today.

Edited by knighta

10/15/13 Sent out K-1 packet.

10/23/13 Received NOA1 email.

10/25/13 Alien Registration Number was changed.

10/29/13 Received hardcopy NOA1.

11/20/13 NOA2 approved(Never did know it got approved until nearly a month later).

12/17/13 Fiance was called by embassy to report there.

12/22/13 Received hardcopy that NVC Received approved K-1 packet from USCIS.

1/4/14 Medical evaluation.

1/22/14 Interview approved but need police certificate so visa can be issued.

1/24/14 Received visa.

3/3/14 POE Seattle.

4/26/14 Married

5/5/14 Sent out I-485 packet

5/29/14 Received text notification from USCIS

6/2/14 Received I-797C from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Spam! I just had spam, eggs and rice from BK for breakfast.

SPAM is a big time Hawaii thing so it is a natural as Filipinos love it too. It was always too salty for me, but they now make low sodium which I like.

SPAM is ham that couldn't pass the physical... :lol:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 5 years later...

Maybe because most people buy food from the streets when visiting exotic countries? We have enough of restaurant food from the place we come from. But if you travel enough, I think you'll agree with me that the tastiest food is on the streets. On the streets, you can find people with interesting histories, which cook for a long time and know the secrets of traditional food. I work on opening my drink boutique. I already have some of the commercial beverage equipment. I'll prepare the traditional drinks that I've tasted while traveling.

We have a Max's and Jolibee in Chicago.  There is also a Seafood City.  Lots of good filipino restaurants but I miss Inasal!.  I agree, not all of the food is great but I love my wife's sinagang, pancit, adobo and lumpia.  We are lucky here as we can get anything they were used to in Manila except Alfonso Light!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

We have a Max's and Jolibee in Chicago.  There is also a Seafood City.  Lots of good filipino restaurants but I miss Inasal!.  I agree, not all of the food is great but I love my wife's sinagang, pancit, adobo and lumpia.  We are lucky here as we can get anything they were used to in Manila except Alfonso Light!

There is a Max's in Chicago (not that a Max's would get me into Chicago .. )??!   I do like their fried chicken though

As for Inasal, they opened one a few blocks from our home in the Phils, now we have Jollibee, McDo's and Inasal (my fav) all within walking distance.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

There is a Max's in Chicago (not that a Max's would get me into Chicago .. )??!   I do like their fried chicken though

As for Inasal, they opened one a few blocks from our home in the Phils, now we have Jollibee, McDo's and Inasal (my fav) all within walking distance.

I like most items from Max's more than their fried chicken.  My wife makes great fried chicken and I've never tasted better.  I really crave Halo Halo from Inasal and I am also hooked on the chicken oil on the rice (and I know where that comes from!!!).  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

We have a Max's and Jolibee in Chicago. 

8 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Sold! I'm telling my fiancé to move to Chicago. 😂

Seriously. I think that my biggest struggle would be craving for Filipino food.

4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I really crave Halo Halo from Inasal

Have you tried Kuya J's Halo-Halo?

and I am also hooked on the chicken oil on the rice (and I know where that comes from!!!).  

Adobo?!

Edited by Soon To Be Mrs. T

Timeline

Not many Filipinos in the Dakotas, so no traditional restaurants for me. Surprising the Asian markets here have a lot of stuff you can get at grocery stores in the Philippines. I've hit it up a few times for sauces. There is a Jollibee in Winnipeg, I  could drive up one afternoon for some Chicken Joy.  As someone else mentioned, there are some in the Twin Cities. The only time I attempted to go, it was closed at 2 PM on a Sunday. 

My take on Filipino food is it completely depends on how long ago the food was made and the cut of meat, I don't want to pick bones out of my food that was made 12 hours ago. When made with fresh ingredients and non-grade z meat, it's fantastic. Heart of banana, pancit, and chicken BBQ from the kuya down the street are my favorite dishes. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Fogi said:

Not many Filipinos in the Dakotas, so no traditional restaurants for me. Surprising the Asian markets here have a lot of stuff you can get at grocery stores in the Philippines. I've hit it up a few times for sauces. There is a Jollibee in Winnipeg, I  could drive up one afternoon for some Chicken Joy.  As someone else mentioned, there are some in the Twin Cities. The only time I attempted to go, it was closed at 2 PM on a Sunday. 

My take on Filipino food is it completely depends on how long ago the food was made and the cut of meat, I don't want to pick bones out of my food that was made 12 hours ago. When made with fresh ingredients and non-grade z meat, it's fantastic. Heart of banana, pancit, and chicken BBQ from the kuya down the street are my favorite dishes. 

There currently are only two Filipino restaurants in Minneapolis area.   Apoy in south Minneapolis (filipinas were not impressed) and recently opened Manila Sizzling Wok and Grill on University Avenue in St Paul.   We tried to go there on a Saturday at 2pm and they were closed (employee told us they were "out of stock" and had no food to cook).  Not a good start.

YMMV

Timeline
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

There currently are only two Filipino restaurants in Minneapolis area.   Apoy in south Minneapolis (filipinas were not impressed) and recently opened Manila Sizzling Wok and Grill on University Avenue in St Paul.   We tried to go there on a Saturday at 2pm and they were closed (employee told us they were "out of stock" and had no food to cook).  Not a good start.

That was also a big issue in the Philippines. Restaurants would often be out of the first 2-3 things I tried to order.  

2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Chicago saved me when I stayed there for a year. I lived in the Dells in WI and there were no Asian markets close to where I live lol. But ahhh, the Filipino market and Jollibee! ❤ I didn't know there's a Max's though, thank you for the information! 😂

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Reading "McDo" on here is amusing. 😂

1 minute ago, chxakx said:

Chicago saved me when I stayed there for a year. I lived in the Dells in WI and there were no Asian markets close to where I live lol. But ahhh, the Filipino market and Jollibee! ❤ I didn't know there's a Max's though, thank you for the information! 😂

Max's just opened.  We haven't even eaten there yet.  

IMG_5168.jpeg

6 minutes ago, chxakx said:

Oh, okay. Thank you for letting me know! I hope they'll open a Mang Inasal soon as well 😂

We will travel anywhere in the Continental US for some Inasal chicken and pork skewers! (and Halo Halo...)

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.