HunnyBunny

'Name change'... why is it a big issue with SSN??

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Here I am... Getting added to the list of people who are having problems in changing their name after marriage under K1 visa. Unawareness of the emplyoess of SSN is giving us lot of head ache. There is no consistancy in the information provided on the site & in the office. Its really very frustrating. My husband took a day off to take me to the SSN office. I was very impressed to have have SS card within 3 days when applied for the first time in my maiden name. I went yesterday with lot of confidence to the SS Office along with my marriage certificate, passport in maiden name, old SS card with maiden name to get my name changed after marriage. The lady there asked me to provide I94 form. She said without that she can not go ahead. I had not taken a printout with me as I had submitted that to them before while applying for the first time. I told her that it is not mentioned anywhere on SS site that they need I94 for name change. Then she said, she needs it for her satisfaction. With my presence of mind I showed her a copy saved on my mobile. She was satisfied. Later she was having problem in matching my name on immigratin document. After all the "hard work" of filling the info online, she told me my name is not matching with immigration document & tolg me to go to immigration office, change my name there & come back again.

But I am going back to the SS office next week and will do the same procedure once again, this time with more confidence. I couldn't do the same yesterday because it was 3pm, their office closing time plus Friday, weekend. And the 'aunty' at SS office was not at all in a mood to work for some extra minutes on her last working day.

So guys...any suggestions before going to the SS office once again???

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Here I am... Getting added to the list of people who are having problems in changing their name after marriage under K1 visa. Unawareness of the emplyoess of SSN is giving us lot of head ache. There is no consistancy in the information provided on the site & in the office. Its really very frustrating. My husband took a day off to take me to the SSN office. I was very impressed to have have SS card within 3 days when applied for the first time in my maiden name. I went yesterday with lot of confidence to the SS Office along with my marriage certificate, passport in maiden name, old SS card with maiden name to get my name changed after marriage. The lady there asked me to provide I94 form. She said without that she can not go ahead. I had not taken a printout with me as I had submitted that to them before while applying for the first time. I told her that it is not mentioned anywhere on SS site that they need I94 for name change. Then she said, she needs it for her satisfaction. With my presence of mind I showed her a copy saved on my mobile. She was satisfied. Later she was having problem in matching my name on immigratin document. After all the "hard work" of filling the info online, she told me my name is not matching with immigration document & tolg me to go to immigration office, change my name there & come back again.

But I am going back to the SS office next week and will do the same procedure once again, this time with more confidence. I couldn't do the same yesterday because it was 3pm, their office closing time plus Friday, weekend. And the 'aunty' at SS office was not at all in a mood to work for some extra minutes on her last working day.

I'm sorry you had to experience this. But you're not alone. The next time you go and the person behind the desk doesn't seem to know what to do, I suggest you ask politely to talk to a supervisor. That sometimes helps and it's your right to talk to an authority when you feel like you're not being served correctly.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

SS office employees are well and truly useless. We STILL haven't received her SS card. If she has to go down there again, I'm going to have to take time off of work to go with her, because obviously at this point they need my delicate touch and a chat with a supervisor to get things done.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K- 1 Progress to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSNs, not K-1~

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

While you wait, I would send and e-mail the main SSA website and describe in detail what happened and ask what the recommend. I hope they will give you an e-mail to train this employee. Of course the name does not match!! The name in the DHS system is your maiden name and you want to use a document--i.e. marriage certificate-- to legally change your last name. What is a USC suppose to do--oh wait, they do not have any immigration documents do they. Why is it any different for a LPR? If you do have problems the next time, wait until you get the GC and then show it to the SSA employee. You might want to have a look at this and print it out to take with you: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212010

This talks about a foreign immigrant with different names on documents: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001 and references the link above. A Marriage Certificate is accepted as an official name change document.

SIGH.

Good luck,

Dave

SS office employees are well and truly useless. We STILL haven't received her SS card. If she has to go down there again, I'm going to have to take time off of work to go with her, because obviously at this point they need my delicate touch and a chat with a supervisor to get things done.

I completely agree....although we never had an issue with hubby's after immigration, I've had enough dealings with them as a USC to know they are clueless.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Timeline

I'm sorry you had to experience this. But you're not alone. The next time you go and the person behind the desk doesn't seem to know what to do, I suggest you ask politely to talk to a supervisor. That sometimes helps and it's your right to talk to an authority when you feel like you're not being served correctly.

Good luck!

She called her supervisor for some time, but as I told she was in a hurry to go home for a weekend. But I am going to try again, may be I will get a different attendant this time & she/he would be able to complete the process without any problem... Who knows?? But thanks to you for a piece of advice.

Timeline

While you wait, I would send and e-mail the main SSA website and describe in detail what happened and ask what the recommend. I hope they will give you an e-mail to train this employee. Of course the name does not match!! The name in the DHS system is your maiden name and you want to use a document--i.e. marriage certificate-- to legally change your last name. What is a USC suppose to do--oh wait, they do not have any immigration documents do they. Why is it any different for a LPR? If you do have problems the next time, wait until you get the GC and then show it to the SSA employee. You might want to have a look at this and print it out to take with you: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212010

This talks about a foreign immigrant with different names on documents: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001 and references the link above. A Marriage Certificate is accepted as an official name change document.

SIGH.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks Dave for your suggestions. The links you have sent will be really helpful. I am going to take a printout of those. I don't think SS emplyoees have gone through all the information on their own site...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hi !

they wanted the I-94 so they could verify yer legal presence.

If the I-94 expiration date, on Monday, is less than 14 days away,

the SSA clerk will turn you away.

Then your next window to change it is when you have EAD card in hand.

When you go again, get the boss.

and stop relying on some opinion that the first clerk you speak with is properly trained, as that's a fallacy.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Hi Darnell... I did produce my I-94 to her, she did enter information reading on that form & then told me my name with immigration is not matching. When I walked out of the SSN office, I thought about it... How my new name & my name with immigration department will match? Because I haven't even applied for AOS yet. It will change only when I apply with I-485 with my married name. Am I right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi Darnell... I did produce my I-94 to her, she did enter information reading on that form & then told me my name with immigration is not matching. When I walked out of the SSN office, I thought about it... How my new name & my name with immigration department will match? Because I haven't even applied for AOS yet. It will change only when I apply with I-485 with my married name. Am I right?

Yup - that's a safe way, for brain-dead SSN clerks to handle it.

Others have reported (and I've been following this almost 3 years now, here at vj, of folk still inside that window of time):

1. getting ssn card issued in visa name then they get married, return with marriage certificate and

2. get SSN reissued in the new married name.

IMO, based on what I read here, it all depends on the SSA clerk that you deal with. Most are poorly trained, but are swift enough to do a SAVE database lookup on you in visa name or A#. just because a mis-match exists, is not that meaningful, if A# is ok, fwiw. It's discretionary, the SSA clerk still has to decide what to do about it.

A supervisor can get you other results, keep that in mind as you are planning your next trip.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yup - that's a safe way, for brain-dead SSN clerks to handle it.

Others have reported (and I've been following this almost 3 years now, here at vj, of folk still inside that window of time):

1. getting ssn card issued in visa name then they get married, return with marriage certificate and

2. get SSN reissued in the new married name.

IMO, based on what I read here, it all depends on the SSA clerk that you deal with. Most are poorly trained, but are swift enough to do a SAVE database lookup on you in visa name or A#. just because a mis-match exists, is not that meaningful, if A# is ok, fwiw. It's discretionary, the SSA clerk still has to decide what to do about it.

A supervisor can get you other results, keep that in mind as you are planning your next trip.

After my wife's experience with the office, I wouldn't even bother with the first monkey you see. Just ask for a supervisor right away on grounds the first guy probably doesn't know anything about K-1s.

We FINALLY got her SS card in the mail today, nearly 2 months after we applied for it.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Here I am again after my 2nd visit to SS office.

CONCLUSION: They liked my maiden name so much that didn't take any efforts to change it to my married name!!

Just joking... My 2nd visit to their office was waste of time. Same story, different clerk. My name with immigration database doesn't match. She suggested me with lots of politeness that I should finish my immigration formalities first & then come back with legal documnet with changed name. I give up...

Is it so difficult to get married to a US citizen???....joking again!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.