jetskidia

Re-entering the USA after a 90 day stay?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If I stay in the USA under the visa waiver programme for a period of up to 90 days and then travel back to the UK. How long is it before I can return to stay for another period of up to 90 days in the USA?
Any information welcomed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

When i was in the states with tourist visa we went to the immigration office and we asked if and when can i re enter the country with tourist visa again. So the guy told me that when i go back in my homecountry and havent over stay than 90 days that tourist visa gives u then u are free to re enter the country the next day. So thats what the immigration officer told us.

BUT

If u do that u ll definatly have a red flag on ur head. U must show evidence to the port of entrance that u dont go again there to stay.

Me that i wanna go now that im waiting for the k1 i dont even think to do it! They definatly wont let me. And espcially if u dont have job and bills back home

01-08-2013 : We decided to be a couple and walk on the same life path!!!!

06-08-2013 : I traveled to the US to stay with my man for 3 months. We got engaged!!!!

Meanwhile :

July 2013 : My fiancé apply for his citizenship.

November 2013 : My fiancé become an American citizen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-23-2013 : We sent I-129F form.

12-30-2013 : I-129F NOA1.

01-06-2014 : I-129F RFE ( fee mistake - we sent 341$ not 340$ ) + NOA1 Hardcopy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USCIS

01-22-2014 : We re-sent I-124F form.

01-24-2014 : I-129F NOA 1.

01-27-2014 : Case Number changed.

01-28-2014 : Alien Registration Number changed.

01-31-2014 : NOA1 Hardcopy.

02-07-2014 : Expedite requested.

02-10-2014 : Requested expedite denied.

04-28-2014 : Expedite requested (financial loss).

05-02-2014 : Email received requesting evidence to expedite + we sent evidence right away.

05-05-2014 : Expedite request approved (we called uscis on 05/08 and they told us that got approved).

05-08-2014 : NOA2

05-12-2014 : Uscis mail us noa2

05-14-2014 : Noa2 hardcopy received

05-21-2014 : Noa2 hardcopy received again with date 05-12-2014

NVC

05-22-2014 : Case Creation Date

05-29-2014 : NVC Left

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Embassy

06-06-2014 : Received By Consulate

06-10-2014 : Received Package 3

06-18-2014 : Package 3 Sent

07-01-2014 : Received Package 4

07-07-2014 : Medical Exam

07-17-2014 : Interview (221g) (Administrative Processing)

07-17-2014 : Sent back an email as they asked

as1cOAY0g411110MDAwNDMwbHwwMDAyMDlsfFdlI[/

If I stay in the USA under the visa waiver programme for a period of up to 90 days and then travel back to the UK. How long is it before I can return to stay for another period of up to 90 days in the USA?

Any information welcomed

How long is a piece of string?

If you are looking for an exact number of days defined by Customs and Border Patrol, there isn't one. It is up to the officer on duty at the immigration desk whether you get in or not. One might say..oh you were just here last month. Welcome back. Another might say...you were here 90 days and now a month later you want to come back? That is too often so I'm putting you on the next plane home. A good rule of thumb is stay out as long as you were in the US, and don't appear to by trying to "live" in the US on visa waiver. It is always a guess, but many 90 day visits is going to minimize you chances. Plus it could indicate you have no responsibilities to go home to and are thus considered more of a risk that you won't leave.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

How long is a piece of string?

If you are looking for an exact number of days defined by Customs and Border Patrol, there isn't one. It is up to the officer on duty at the immigration desk whether you get in or not. One might say..oh you were just here last month. Welcome back. Another might say...you were here 90 days and now a month later you want to come back? That is too often so I'm putting you on the next plane home. A good rule of thumb is stay out as long as you were in the US, and don't appear to by trying to "live" in the US on visa waiver. It is always a guess, but many 90 day visits is going to minimize you chances. Plus it could indicate you have no responsibilities to go home to and are thus considered more of a risk that you won't leave.

So if you managed to get a "nice" officer it might be possible to stay 90, out 1 stay 90 out 1 for ever more??

There is no limit to the number of times you may travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program, and there is no minimum period of time you are required to remain outside the U.S. before returning. If you frequently travel to the United States for lengthy periods under the VWP, however, you should be prepared to demonstrate the purpose of your visit, that you intend to leave the U.S. within 90 days, and that you have sufficient funds to pay for your visit without working. If you are unable to do so, the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection may not be convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for business or tourism and deny your admission.

Any information welcomed

As all the others have said, It depends. One thing to keep in mind is that if you do get denied entry to the US on the VWP, you will need to apply for a tourist visa and can never use the VWP again. So keep that in mind when you decide to travel to and from the US. Typically you need to stay out of the US for more time then in the US so that is where the 90 days out comes from. Otherwise it looks like you are using the tourist visa (VWP) to live in the US 90 days at a time. If you really need more time in the US, you could try for tourist visa and see if you are allowed to stay for 6 months.

Good luck,

Dave

And if the tourist visa is denied, then no more VWP either. London typically denies tourist visas for those just wanting to hang with their fiancé, spouse, or girlfriend while they wait on their immigrant visa since VWP is readily available to UK citizens.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Where do you get that figure from please?

There is no set standard. You are never guaranteed entry. You could come back the next day, but I'd wager if you try that more than once you'd be barred from entry and VWP privileges revoked.

If it appears you are doing more than merely visiting the US, you won't be able to visit anymore. Therefore a minimum rule of thumb is to stay outside the US more than you stay in it. But even spending 6 months in the US per year is not visiting. You can't keep that up forever either.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

With the answers in mind, has anyone on here ever been refused entry from the UK or know of someone that has been refused entry from the UK for visiting too many times in a short spell of time?

BTW I've never known of anyone ever being refused!
Thanks

With the answers in mind, has anyone on here ever been refused entry from the UK or know of someone that has been refused entry from the UK for visiting too many times in a short spell of time?

BTW I've never known of anyone ever being refused!

Thanks

You can be the first one to try and then come back here to report the results smile.png

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/348367-refused-entry-on-vwp/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You can be the first one to try and then come back here to report the results smile.png

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/348367-refused-entry-on-vwp/

Thanks for the thread linkgood.gif

When i was in Montreal I came over he border every weekend once the 90 days were up I just got a new stamp in my passport and another 90 days and so on

08/08/13- married

11/14/13- Aos EAD package sent

11/19/13- package received noa 1

12/19/13- status changed to RFE

01/02/14- RFE received

01/04/14- RFE sent back ( wanted wife's IT return for 2012

01/14/14- they got my RFE

01/28/14- I-485 changed status changed to ready for scheduling

02/05/14- interview date for March 11 was mailed from uscis

02/26/14- EAD card ordered

03/03/14- EAD card mailed

03/03/14- EAD tracking number 2 day priority mail

05/03/14 - day 106 received EAD card :)

11/03/14 - interview day approved on spot !!!!!!!

12/03/14 - changed to post decision activity

15/03/14- received welcome to America notice (noa2) for i485 and I 130

17/03/14 - green card game ----- GREEN CARD AND ST PATRICKS DAY ?? Coincidence ????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.