TJandJR

DOS travel alert re Nigeria

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I received an e-mail alert from the Department of State warning: about travel to Nigeria especially certain states in Nigeria. I'm really saddened by this because my fiance is taking a job in Kono and that was one of the states it warns US citizens to avoid. We're trying to get married in the spring. I guess now we'll have the expense of him traveling to Lagos and us staying in a hotel instead of his Lagos apartment as originally planned. It seems like our wedding plans are getting further and further away and I'm getting depressed. I know that after the wedding we still have a long wait after we file. Anyway, did anyone else get one of these emails I'm signed up for it and I was just curious. I'm also worried for his safety. Anyone here from Kono?

Sorry.... I mean Kano

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I received an e-mail alert from the Department of State warning: about travel to Nigeria especially certain states in Nigeria. I'm really saddened by this because my fiance is taking a job in Kono and that was one of the states it warns US citizens to avoid. We're trying to get married in the spring. I guess now we'll have the expense of him traveling to Lagos and us staying in a hotel instead of his Lagos apartment as originally planned. It seems like our wedding plans are getting further and further away and I'm getting depressed. I know that after the wedding we still have a long wait after we file. Anyway, did anyone else get one of these emails I'm signed up for it and I was just curious. I'm also worried for his safety. Anyone here from Kono?

Sorry.... I mean Kano

I think you have this confused. the advisory is for northern Nigeria. Why can't you stay at your husband apartment in Lagos? Lagos is one of the safest cities especially for a foreigner there is.

Kano hasn't been safe in a long while. It's only when I was in Port Harcourt back during elections in 2011 that city wasn't safe. i couldn't go no where.

but you are perfectly fine to marry and live and stay wherever in Lagos.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

I have stayed with him in his apartment in Lagos. But he's moving to Kano, he's not going to have an apartment there anymore.

I have stayed with him in his apartment in Lagos. But he's moving to Kano, he's not going to have an apartment there anymore.

Timeline

Oh my bad I get you now. Yes no traveling please to kano. marry at the registry at Ikoji. have him do all the registry before you get there so you can be in and out a week honeymoon easy peasy.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

or marry in the USA, like a good K-1 visa holder.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Darnell our k1 was denied.

Dwheels not so easy peesy if you're on a budget as tight as ours. Now we have to save money for him to travel back to register, travel back to marry, and for a hotel for a few days. Which is going to delay our plans. If his new job will let him off work twice. But what I really want to know is will HE be safe in Kano?? . (i already know that I shouldn't go there). Thanks again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Forgive my saying so, but you need to ask your fiance more questions. There's more to this Kano story than you think you know. I could elaborate more on some eye-opening issues, but @ this point, l don't want to rain on your parade. You WILL not like my theory, which could in the end turn out to be the TRUTH!

Timeline

Anewday...I appreciate your concern. However I have been in this relationship almost 4 years. And even though I may not have elaborated all the details to you , he has elaborated all the details to me. I have been with him through a previous job change and we discuss the pros and cons and risks and pray and make a decision together as a couple. The current job is not a very good job but better than the last. The new job offer is what we have been praying for... An advanced position with a better company and better pay (although it's still a far cry from what I consider good pay here). I've seen the progression of this job offer from the very first meeting. We are just saddened it is up north. We were initially scared for him to take it and he's angry the prayer for a job like this has been answered but with risks. I said if we believe it is an answer then we must also believe you will be protected. And I'm just wondering (because I'm not from there) how safe it is even for Nigerian citizens. And I'm venting because it delays our plans....and we all know how long this journey is to begin with. Especially after we went the k1 route and are about to embark on the spousal visa. We have saved and had a target date... Now delays.

So, naysayer, please don't assume to know my relationship better than I do, or suggest this is some complicated ploy to get out of our upcoming marriage or a plan to extort money from me or whatever eye opening thing you are eager to suggest. Again, just cause I didn't expound on all the details doesn't mean he hasn't. Frankly, every little detail wasn't anybody's business and didn't need to be told. I'm sorry but I'm just so sick of people quick to imply thetes funny business afoot, or theres a scam going on. Especially since being engaged to a Nigerian I've heard it all. From people that don't know a thing about us. So... Theres not more to this Kano story than I know.... There's more to this Kano story than YOU know and how dare you insult my fiances integrity. Thanks for letting me vent.

Timeline

Anywhere where the majority religion changes in Nigeria is not a place for a non Nigerian to be. Both sides seem to take great joy in settling the score at the cost of innocents. As to his job letting him off. If he is leaving for the US just a little later ( think positive ) the job is really not all that important. Yes it will be a pain to travel back and forth. Is there any way for a proxy to register the wedding for him or could it be done remotely by transferring it from the local one to Lagos ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Anywhere where the majority religion changes in Nigeria is not a place for a non Nigerian to be. Both sides seem to take great joy in settling the score at the cost of innocents. As to his job letting him off. If he is leaving for the US just a little later ( think positive ) the job is really not all that important. Yes it will be a pain to travel back and forth. Is there any way for a proxy to register the wedding for him or could it be done remotely by transferring it from the local one to Lagos ?

That's a great suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. Neither one of us is familiar with the registery and it's rules but we'll definitely find out if we can do it that way. I know his cousin will be more than happy to do that for us if it's possible. Thanks.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

I read your post to my husband who is sitting here next to me because he had recently spent a couple weeks in that area. He said from Zaria to Kano...Kaduna , Jos, Bauchi to Maiduguri (hope I spelled all these correct) it is nothing but "dead zone" in his words. He said he's even surprised of someone leaving Lagos to go to Kano for a job opportunity because he said the area is so dry. He said personally he would not feel safe at all ...at all....in any of those areas. Any chance you could meet up in Abuja instead? It's a 5 1/2 hour drive from Kano as opposed to 13 hours to Lagos. I also priced hotels there back in April and although still ridiculously expensive, they seem to be a little cheaper than Lagos.

Timeline

Why switch job since his looking at migrating....... my friend resigned from his job when he was tranfered from Lagos to the North, Kano and co are like a time bomb and can go off at any time T.

Timeline

Hello,

I read your post to my husband who is sitting here next to me because he had recently spent a couple weeks in that area. He said from Zaria to Kano...Kaduna , Jos, Bauchi to Maiduguri (hope I spelled all these correct) it is nothing but "dead zone" in his words. He said he's even surprised of someone leaving Lagos to go to Kano for a job opportunity because he said the area is so dry. He said personally he would not feel safe at all ...at all....in any of those areas. Any chance you could meet up in Abuja instead? It's a 5 1/2 hour drive from Kano as opposed to 13 hours to Lagos. I also priced hotels there back in April and although still ridiculously expensive, they seem to be a little cheaper than Lagos.

Another good idea....if they have a marriage registery that is accepted by the embassy. We will look into it. Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.