TJandJR

DOS travel alert re Nigeria

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Why switch job since his looking at migrating....... my friend resigned from his job when he was tranfered from Lagos to the North, Kano and co are like a time bomb and can go off at any time T.

Because jobs are scarce...even for people with degrees. The company he works for now pays poorly and is also not doing very well. He has to work to survive. I'm not going to support him. I'm not able to. And it always looks better to the embassy if we are both employed. Resign? Jobless? Do you know how long many people here have been waiting for their husband's to get approved??? It's a long process. How would he survive? But thank you for taking time to share your input. I appreciate it.

Filed: Timeline

It just seems like an unnecessary risk considering you guys are in the process.

It's a pretty dangerous place no doubt, just counsel him to be safe and to not take any unnecessary risks. No clubbing, social activities, etc unless required for his job.

Good luck folks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's a pretty dangerous place no doubt, just counsel him to be safe and to not take any unnecessary risks. No clubbing, social activities, etc unless required for his job.

Good luck folks.

And whatever he does don't let anyone know he is married to an American. If he is wearing a ring in fact I would tell him not to wear it. He needs to be safe safe. Nigerian or otherwise its just not a safe place up there.

Some things just aren't worth the risk. I would rather make less and be safe than make more and risk my life and that of my families. Just saying.

Be wise and protect yourselves.You are already at wits end I am sure and your nerves are frayed and to add the constant daily worry and risk of safety in the mix, well God bless you both.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Good luck folks.

Thank you Gowan. He said he was going straight to work and straight home when he gets there. He's traveling this weekend I do believe. . He was once in Sokoto for several months and that's how he stayed safe. He won't have time for clubbing... 12 hour days 6 days a week. Whew!

And congrats on lil Gowan!! I'm excited for the both of you...or should I say the three of you.

Timeline

And whatever he does don't let anyone know he is married to an American. If he is wearing a ring in fact I would tell him not to wear it. He needs to be safe safe. Nigerian or otherwise its just not a safe place up there.

Some things just aren't worth the risk. I would rather make less and be safe than make more and risk my life and that of my families. Just saying.

Be wise and protect yourselves.You are already at wits end I am sure and your nerves are frayed and to add the constant daily worry and risk of safety in the mix, well God bless you both.

Oh, we aren't married yet. No ring. It's a lil confusing. I don't even know how to update my timeline to reflect which visa we are pursuing. We had our K1 interview and were not approved. We have plans to marry in Nigeria as soon as we can save the money to fly me there and for the wedding and all it entails. Then we will file for the CR1/IR or whatever its called. The spousal visa. (My mind is overloaded right now and I can't remember the proper name of the visa, sorry). I will not go to northern Nigeria for any reason. Thank you for your advice and yes my nerves are frayed. But this is where faith and prayer come in. Afterall, the job posistion IS all we've been praying for except for the locale. God bless you and your pursuits as well.

Timeline

You can get married at the National Marriage Registry in Abuja. That is where my husband and I got married and it is recognized. Any Government Marriage Registry should suffice.

Abuja is a long and rough drive from Kano--not sure I would advise it if he has the option to fly. There are too many local boys and road blocks between Kano and Abuja. Once you get south of Kaduna, it is better but still not smooth. You should look into local air carriers that go between Kano and Abuja--although, to be honest, I don't know if that would be cheaper than just flying from Kano to Lagos. Domestic airfare in Nigeria is different.

We lived in Jos from 2008-2010; it was not without it's scary/dangerous points. My husband was last in Jos in March and his mother and oldest daughter are still there. We drove between Abuja and Jos many, many times. Kano is another three hours North of Jos though--and I can't speak specifically to that route. I will say that even if you both can get to Jos, that may be another less expensive option for you. I have a tainted view, because I love that city and her people. I have many friends and family still there--both Nigerian and foreign. It is relatively safe if you take precautions. Some friends of ours (French/Nigerian couple) have a lovely B&B if you want to consider it. With all that being said--anything can flair up at any time--and that is a very real risk.

If you want to look at Abuja, I know some decent guest houses that will cost you half of what the big international hotels are charging. Abuja is a refreshing change of pace from Lagos. It is cleaner, more organized, less crowded, etc. when compared to Lagos. The airport is smaller and easier to get in and out of. PM me if you want any hotel details for Jos or Abuja.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your journey!

You can get married at the National Marriage Registry in Abuja. That is where my husband and I got married and it is recognized. Any Government Marriage Registry should suffice.

Abuja is a long and rough drive from Kano--not sure I would advise it if he has the option to fly. There are too many local boys and road blocks between Kano and Abuja. Once you get south of Kaduna, it is better but still not smooth. You should look into local air carriers that go between Kano and Abuja--although, to be honest, I don't know if that would be cheaper than just flying from Kano to Lagos. Domestic airfare in Nigeria is different.

We lived in Jos from 2008-2010; it was not without it's scary/dangerous points. My husband was last in Jos in March and his mother and oldest daughter are still there. We drove between Abuja and Jos many, many times. Kano is another three hours North of Jos though--and I can't speak specifically to that route. I will say that even if you both can get to Jos, that may be another less expensive option for you. I have a tainted view, because I love that city and her people. I have many friends and family still there--both Nigerian and foreign. It is relatively safe if you take precautions. Some friends of ours (French/Nigerian couple) have a lovely B&B if you want to consider it. With all that being said--anything can flair up at any time--and that is a very real risk.

If you want to look at Abuja, I know some decent guest houses that will cost you half of what the big international hotels are charging. Abuja is a refreshing change of pace from Lagos. It is cleaner, more organized, less crowded, etc. when compared to Lagos. The airport is smaller and easier to get in and out of. PM me if you want any hotel details for Jos or Abuja.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your journey!

This is a good read. We don't get many folks from the north on VJ.

In 30 years in the US I have never met a Hausa person in the US.

Thank you Gowan. He said he was going straight to work and straight home when he gets there. He's traveling this weekend I do believe. . He was once in Sokoto for several months and that's how he stayed safe. He won't have time for clubbing... 12 hour days 6 days a week. Whew!

And congrats on lil Gowan!! I'm excited for the both of you...or should I say the three of you.

Thanks Madam.

Your Fiance will be here soon enough.

Edited by Gowon

Timeline

This is a good read. We don't get many folks from the north on VJ.

In 30 years in the US I have never met a Hausa person in the US.

One could argue that Jos is Middlebelt, not North. It is the intersecting of North/South; Muslim/Christian; Fulani/Indigenous in this region that is the cause of much of the violence.

Although my husband was raised in Jos and speaks Hausa, he does not identify as Hausa but rather with his smaller tribal identity on the Plateau.

You need to get out of California wink.png . My husband seems to meet Hausa people all over the place--but mostly in New York City.

One could argue that Jos is Middlebelt, not North. It is the intersecting of North/South; Muslim/Christian; Fulani/Indigenous in this region that is the cause of much of the violence.

Although my husband was raised in Jos and speaks Hausa, he does not identify as Hausa but rather with his smaller tribal identity on the Plateau.

You need to get out of California wink.png . My husband seems to meet Hausa people all over the place--but mostly in New York City.

Duly noted.

Now I can safely say that there is one "middlebelter" on VJ in case another member has a question for that region biggrin.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.