Danno

TIGER MOM is back.... explains why some religions and races are more successful

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Danno is offended because Tiger mom says danno's faith and race is sub-par.

Actually she agrees with me as you can see in the red below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHICH RELIGIONS PRODUCE MORE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE? ‘TIGER MOM’ IS BACK WITH A THEORY

amy-chua-620x464.jpg

“Tiger Mom” Amy Chua, a Yale professor who raised eyebrows in 2011 with claims that Chinese moms have more successful kids and are better parents, is back with a controversial new book that explains why she believes some religions and races are more successful in America than their fellow cohorts.

In “The Triple Package,” Chua and her co-author Jed Rubenfeld, her husband, argue that “some groups in America do better than others,” basing the results on income, test scores and other metrics.

Of those groups, the duo cites two religious groups: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Jewish faith. Chua and Rubenfeld apparently found these groups to be superior to Protestants, Catholics, atheists, Buddhists and Muslims, The New York Post reported.

On the race front, they argue that Indians, Chinese, Iranians, Lebanese-Americans, Nigerians and Cuban exiles have also achieved a higher level of success in America. Chua, who is Chinese, and Rubenfeld, who is Jewish, belong to two of the eight most successful groups, the Post noted.

So why do some groups rise according to them?

Chua and Rubenfeld argue that some groups simply “have a cultural edge” that better allows them to take advantage of opportunities. Breaking down the “triple package” (hence the name of the book), the authors move point by point in explaining how Mormons, Jews and the aforementioned race groups differ from the general American culture.

“A superiority complex, insecurity, impulse control — these are the elements of the Triple Package, the rare and potent cultural constellation that drives disproportionate group success,” reads a description of the book. “The Triple Package is open to anyone. America itself was once a Triple Package culture. It’s been losing that edge for a long time now.”

tiger-mom-442x620.jpg

First and foremost, Chua and Rubenfeld believe that Americans are taught that no group is superior to another and that everyone is equal. In contrast, they say, the most successful religious and race groups see themselves as exceptional — or even chosen.

This, of course, is the “superiority” factor and it apparently goes a long way toward success in life.

Then there’s “insecurity.” The authors contend

that in the most successful religious and racial groups “people tend to feel insecure, inadequate, that they have to prove themselves.” This can purportedly drive members of these groups to seek success.

And last, there’s “impulse control,” or the ability to profoundly exert control over oneself. While the authors believe that America touts immediate gratification, the most successful groups have what they say is a higher level of self-discipline and control.

“Impulse control refers to the ability to resist temptation, especially the temptation to give up in the face of hardship or quit instead of persevering at a difficult task,” the authors write in “The Triple Package.”

Based on excerpts published by The Daily Mail, Chua and Rubenfeld note that the three elements presented run counter to contemporary American culture, which is why the groups that they deem the most successful are generally cultural outsiders.

“Paradoxically, in modern America, a group has an edge if it doesn’t buy into — or hasn’t yet bought into — mainstream, post-1960s, liberal American principles,” they continue.

While these elements are purportedly the recipe for success, according to the book’s description, there are also some negatives that accompany each of the three — elements that the authors claim can have “toxic effects.”

These theories are all very controversial, of course, which is something that Chua and Rubenfeld readily admit.

“That certain groups do much better in America than others — as measured by income, occupational status, test scores and so on — is difficult to talk about,” they note in the book. “In large part, this is because the topic feels so racially charged.”

The book is already sparking controversy from critics who believe it encourages racism.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/06/which-religions-produce-more-successful-people-tiger-mom-is-back-with-a-theory/

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I Luvs The Tiger Mom.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

As you have not conducted research nor have you published any papers, books or theories Danno, your claim that 'Tiger Mom' agrees with you is groundless (inappropriate comment removed- VJ Moderation). If you agree with her interpretation of success and how it is achieved in the US, good for you, but she does not agree with you.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove personal attack

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Since when did Danno start referring to himself in the 3rd person? Weird.

Yeah and we can presumably ignore the entirety of the article and focus on the bit in red. Does Danno keyword search liberal when he is deciding which articles to put up?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I missed this "tiger mom" thing...

You're white. If'n you had kids, they'll be fat, lazy, and dumb. All because you don't hit them, assign them study time, and treat them like a human. That's the basics.

Timeline

Charles Murray with an Asian face and female parts. Yawn.

This is a great synopsis of his latest book which has research that is compelling.

William Penn

Timeline

I'd hit it.

Yeah she is kinda cute.

If I had ever married and Asian chick we would have had to do a prenupt..... concerning hair length.

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One comment containing a personal attack has been removed and one comment edited to remove a second inappropriate comment. If you cannot confine your discussion to the posted topic instead of the poster, then do not comment.

-VJ Moderation Team

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think I missed this "tiger mom" thing...

You've time to catch up, prior to the next pregnancy.

Seriously.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

One comment containing a personal attack has been removed and one comment edited to remove a second inappropriate comment. If you cannot confine your discussion to the posted topic instead of the poster, then do not comment.

-VJ Moderation Team

DId someone say something unkind about me?

Be-kind-to-unkind-people.-They-need-it-t

since no one tangled with Tiger Mom, I guess we can all assume she is right.... and Danno is a second class citizen.

It's ok, I am not hurt by it, we all know there is a hierarchy in life, and to be honest,

I never though I was more than halfway up the ladder, she just helped confirm it for me.

Anyway, the view is not bad from the halfway point.

William Penn