TBoneTX

French/American Couples - Part III - 2014

1,536 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I wish I could see a calendar. I have been to 2 appointments before: for a J1 and for a B1/2, but i've never seen this 

This is what it looks like for me now: https://cl.ly/2A2Q2a3G2U2o

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hm. I guess you have to check the website everyday to see if you can schedule an appointment.
If it's still not available in a few days , i think there is a phone number on the website you have to use to schedule the appointment that you can call. Maybe they can help you. I had an issue and they answered fast. They could not help me since they had nothing to do with my issue, but the embassy refused to take any responsibility, although they made the mistake. In case of scheduling appointments, that is their responsibility, so they might be able to help you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone :)

I haven't posted here in forever!! I wanted to update you guys on how my case is progressing over here in California. 

I know most of you are still at the K1 stage and might not have moved yet, but I thought maybe it could be good for you to have an idea of an individual timeline (even if it's different for everybody) for the AOS.

You can check it out below in my signature or by clicking on my timeline for even more info!

The AOS process IS a little bit of a pain haha although we do have a lawyer for this, it's still a hassle.

For me, the longest part is waiting to work, sitting at home for months gets old very fast haha but at least I have my husband with me now :)

Quentin, how is the US treating you so far? How long have you been here for? Have you filed yet?

GOOD LUCK to all of you for the rest of the K1 process and the move over here, feel free to PM me for any questions about the AOS (or anything, really :P)

^_^

:luv:Our K1 Timeline :luv:

April 30 2014: met & lived together in California, Paris & London for a little over a year and a half

November 13 2015: Got engaged

April 2016: Hired a lawyer and started the K1 visa process

April 20 2016: I-129F sent

April 28 2016: NOA1 - CSC (hard copy)

July 8 2016: NOA2 - text/email (71 days, yay!)

July 13 2016: NOA2 - hard copy

July 27 2016: NVC received

July 29 2016: Case number assigned

August 04 2016: Received by the Paris Embassy

August 11 2016: Packet 3 received

September 16 2016: Medical appointment

September 21 2016: Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

:luv:POE & Wedding :luv:

October 18 2016: POE in Los Angeles, CA

November 4 2016: Wedding in Malibu, CA, on the beach :wub:

:luv:Our AOS Timeline :luv:

November 16 2016: Filed for AOS

December 7 2016: NOA date

January 5 2017: Biometrics appointment

January 19 2017: NOA for interview date

February 24 2017: Interview

Patiently waiting (sometimes) for the rest of our story to unfold :star:

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Sonia&Anthony said:

Hello everyone :)

I haven't posted here in forever!! I wanted to update you guys on how my case is progressing over here in California. 

I know most of you are still at the K1 stage and might not have moved yet, but I thought maybe it could be good for you to have an idea of an individual timeline (even if it's different for everybody) for the AOS.

You can check it out below in my signature or by clicking on my timeline for even more info!

The AOS process IS a little bit of a pain haha although we do have a lawyer for this, it's still a hassle.

For me, the longest part is waiting to work, sitting at home for months gets old very fast haha but at least I have my husband with me now :)

Quentin, how is the US treating you so far? How long have you been here for? Have you filed yet?

GOOD LUCK to all of you for the rest of the K1 process and the move over here, feel free to PM me for any questions about the AOS (or anything, really :P)

^_^

Well, welcome back! 

Thanks for the timeline, this is helpful for me too!

We do not have a lawyer, and the hardest part was the affidavit. Plus, my wife barely made enough money last year. She got a new position and a lot better salary, but the only proof we have is a letter from her employer. I hope it will be enough. If not, we will just get an RFE and send some of her new paychecks I guess!

I'm more than fine here, but I can't really do anything since i do not have a car. I tried to get information about getting a driver's license in Louisiana but I only get different information, and even the guy at the DMV could not really answer. I guess they are not used to have a foreigner moving in North Louisiana. We won't stay here for a very long times though. Bigger cities are calling! Haha!
And I agree, sitting at home is not the best thing. I try to be productive, but it's really not easy.

I've been here since November 12th, got married on December 3rd, and we sent everything on January 12th.
I was trying to get my Social Security Number before sending everything, that's why we did not send it. But I realized we do not need the SSN to send everything... So we did not wait unti I get it. 

It's been 4 weeks and I still don't have my SSN... Did you ask for yours? Or are you waiting to get your EAD?
I really think I would have waited until I get my EAD to ask for an SSN. It would have made the process easier and faster. 

Timeline
36 minutes ago, quentin955 said:

Well, welcome back! 

Thanks for the timeline, this is helpful for me too!

We do not have a lawyer, and the hardest part was the affidavit. Plus, my wife barely made enough money last year. She got a new position and a lot better salary, but the only proof we have is a letter from her employer. I hope it will be enough. If not, we will just get an RFE and send some of her new paychecks I guess!

I'm more than fine here, but I can't really do anything since i do not have a car. I tried to get information about getting a driver's license in Louisiana but I only get different information, and even the guy at the DMV could not really answer. I guess they are not used to have a foreigner moving in North Louisiana. We won't stay here for a very long times though. Bigger cities are calling! Haha!
And I agree, sitting at home is not the best thing. I try to be productive, but it's really not easy.

I've been here since November 12th, got married on December 3rd, and we sent everything on January 12th.
I was trying to get my Social Security Number before sending everything, that's why we did not send it. But I realized we do not need the SSN to send everything... So we did not wait unti I get it. 

It's been 4 weeks and I still don't have my SSN... Did you ask for yours? Or are you waiting to get your EAD?
I really think I would have waited until I get my EAD to ask for an SSN. It would have made the process easier and faster. 

Thank you & no problem!

Oh yeah the affidavit is always a pain, hopefully it will be alright but according to what I've been reading, they seem to respond pretty fast to RFEs even if you get one, so at least there's that.

No idea how it works to get a regular DL (yet). I got mine with a California-specific law called AB60 but I will have to change it soon - the only difference is it can't be used as an official ID. 

Haha yeah I've never been to Louisiana but I can imagine how staying in a small town would get old very fast. 

Have you been able to make friends and stuff? 

4 weeks I believe is the maximum amount of time you should allow to receive your SSN. Once it has been over 4 weeks, if not received, I would go back there if I were you and ask them (hopefully it's not too far from where you live).

I've had mine since 2014 because I had an internship here, but my social security card has my maiden name on it and mentions that I can only work when DHS authorized it (meaning during my internship in 2014). So I had to go back to get a new card but I did it so late after getting married, I hope I won't get in too much trouble (because they check the passport stamp you got for the K1 and mine had expired) - I've been waiting for 2 weeks now. 

When I got my social in 2014 though, I had to go back after 5 weeks or so because I hadn't received it and they said they forgot to put in the request ? Not necessarily the most efficient people ever haha

:luv:Our K1 Timeline :luv:

April 30 2014: met & lived together in California, Paris & London for a little over a year and a half

November 13 2015: Got engaged

April 2016: Hired a lawyer and started the K1 visa process

April 20 2016: I-129F sent

April 28 2016: NOA1 - CSC (hard copy)

July 8 2016: NOA2 - text/email (71 days, yay!)

July 13 2016: NOA2 - hard copy

July 27 2016: NVC received

July 29 2016: Case number assigned

August 04 2016: Received by the Paris Embassy

August 11 2016: Packet 3 received

September 16 2016: Medical appointment

September 21 2016: Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

:luv:POE & Wedding :luv:

October 18 2016: POE in Los Angeles, CA

November 4 2016: Wedding in Malibu, CA, on the beach :wub:

:luv:Our AOS Timeline :luv:

November 16 2016: Filed for AOS

December 7 2016: NOA date

January 5 2017: Biometrics appointment

January 19 2017: NOA for interview date

February 24 2017: Interview

Patiently waiting (sometimes) for the rest of our story to unfold :star:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone!!

Glad to see everyone is okay and married :) 

Aparently is going to be pretty pain in the ### for the next step with the AOS...talking about it when do you think is the best moment to ask for the SSN?

About the appointment issue that you were talking about on the ambassy  website, did that happen already? looks pretty weird that they say "no appointment available" with everything happening in usa roght now.... maybe they got new  instructions

Timeline
2 hours ago, fosu said:

Hi everyone!!

Glad to see everyone is okay and married :) 

Aparently is going to be pretty pain in the ### for the next step with the AOS...talking about it when do you think is the best moment to ask for the SSN?

About the appointment issue that you were talking about on the ambassy  website, did that happen already? looks pretty weird that they say "no appointment available" with everything happening in usa roght now.... maybe they got new  instructions

Hi, personnally I asked the SSN two weeks after my arrival in the US! I just showed my I94 and my passport and that was it! =)

04/22/2016 I-129F sent

04/28/2016 NAO1

07/08/2016 NAO2 text received

07/27/2016 : Reveiced at NVC

08/04/2016 : Received at embassy

08/11/2016 : Packet 3 received

09/13/2016: Medical

09/14/2016: Interview APPROVED

09/16/2016: Administrative processing

09/22/2016: Issued

09/27/2016: Visa received

10/06/2016: POE Oregon State

:goofy:

11/05/2016: AOS sent with EAD/AP

11/07/2016: Received in Chicago

11/19/2016: NAO1 by text

11/25/2016: NAO1 hard copies

12/14/2016: Biometrics appointment

Timeline

Hm... It's been almost 5 weeks since i asked for my SSN.
The thing is.... they could not find me in the system, 2 weeks after I arrived. 
I guess I'll have to go back on Friday, this week. 
My middle name is actually two names put together, so it's the entire name on my visa, but on the I-94, they took only the first one. I guess it's one of the reasons. I guess if I knew it would have been a problem, I would have gone after I get the EAD. But i hope it's going to be good!

Also, i have a question about the biometrics. Did you all receive a second letter, after the NOA, telling you where and when you have to go? 

Timeline
3 hours ago, quentin955 said:

Hm... It's been almost 5 weeks since i asked for my SSN.
The thing is.... they could not find me in the system, 2 weeks after I arrived. 
I guess I'll have to go back on Friday, this week. 
My middle name is actually two names put together, so it's the entire name on my visa, but on the I-94, they took only the first one. I guess it's one of the reasons. I guess if I knew it would have been a problem, I would have gone after I get the EAD. But i hope it's going to be good!

Also, i have a question about the biometrics. Did you all receive a second letter, after the NOA, telling you where and when you have to go? 

For the SSN it took a while for me too to receive it because of my middle name (I have two names and they took just one) they had to check something and then sent it to me. But it doesn't hurt to go back just in case. 

Yes you will receive a letter for the biometrics with the date, the hour and the location where you have to go! 

04/22/2016 I-129F sent

04/28/2016 NAO1

Timeline

I found the letter the Social Security Office gave me, it says I have to contact them if I have had nothing after 4 weeks. So I will go there whenever I can I guess, but it's 40 miles away. (the closest one is always full of people, with a line of 15 people outside of the building 15 minutes before the door open)
But apparently we have a quite similar problem, so it's reassuring to see it went well for you!

So it sounds like, for now, I just have to wait for the next letter, which i will probably get soon. Thanks!!

Edited by quentin955

Timeline
1 hour ago, quentin955 said:

I found the letter the Social Security Office gave me, it says I have to contact them if I have had nothing after 4 weeks. So I will go there whenever I can I guess, but it's 40 miles away. (the closest one is always full of people, with a line of 15 people outside of the building 15 minutes before the door open)
But apparently we have a quite similar problem, so it's reassuring to see it went well for you!

So it sounds like, for now, I just have to wait for the next letter, which i will probably get soon. Thanks!!

Mine took more than 4 weeks also and just the weekend before I decide to go back on Monday I got the card in the mail! They might be slow. Maybe call them to know if they assigned you a SSN already. Sometimes they have the number, and the card comes later. 

Yes wait the biometrics letter =)

04/22/2016 I-129F sent

04/28/2016 NAO1

Timeline

So, I received my SSN... the day after I was talking about going to the SS Office. Finally!
And I just got the letter for my fingerprints. Things are moving, that's great!

Hopefully everyone still in France has things going well too!

Timeline
1 minute ago, RKandGC said:

Great news ! 

I finally got my appointment, I took March 22nd. also got my doctor's appointment on the 21st. 

Things are moving along it's exciting. 

That's great! 
You're getting close to the end!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.