TBoneTX

French/American Couples - Part III - 2014

1,536 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey everyone! 

I'm new here and have few questions! The answers are probably already there, but I thought it would be easier to directly ask than searched for hours ( yeah, i'm a little lazy ;) ). So! I had my NOA1 on the end of january, and expecting the NOA2 for the end of April (my fingers are more than crossed). My questions are about the steps after that. I would like ( actually, more than would like ) to join my Fiance for the end of june or beginning of july and I was wondering: around how many times it takes between the NOA2 and the interview/medical exam ( knowing that I will try to do the papers the fastest I can ;) ). And how many money this step cost ( medical exam + ambassade meeting ) ? I heard something around 200 each, but it was from 2 years ago, so I don't know if I can trust those informations...  Bref, Thank you for your answers ( if answers there is ;) ) and all my apology for my bad english !! ( it's late , and yes I still have to work on it ;) ) 

Timeline
6 hours ago, FeBo said:

Hey everyone! 

I'm new here and have few questions! The answers are probably already there, but I thought it would be easier to directly ask than searched for hours ( yeah, i'm a little lazy ;) ). So! I had my NOA1 on the end of january, and expecting the NOA2 for the end of April (my fingers are more than crossed). My questions are about the steps after that. I would like ( actually, more than would like ) to join my Fiance for the end of june or beginning of july and I was wondering: around how many times it takes between the NOA2 and the interview/medical exam ( knowing that I will try to do the papers the fastest I can ;) ). And how many money this step cost ( medical exam + ambassade meeting ) ? I heard something around 200 each, but it was from 2 years ago, so I don't know if I can trust those informations...  Bref, Thank you for your answers ( if answers there is ;) ) and all my apology for my bad english !! ( it's late , and yes I still have to work on it ;) ) 

Hi and welcome. 
For the time question it's best to look at people's timeline, for us it took around 3 months but for other people it's faster.

The embassy interview cost $262 which was 258€ when I booked mine a week ago. 

For the medical it is around 300€ I believe. You can find more information here: http://english-doctor-paris.pagesperso-orange.fr/immigrationusfr.html

Ps: don't forget to modify your timeline, it says you're going to the Armenian embassy. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
15 hours ago, FeBo said:

Hey everyone! 

Welcome here!

I got NOA 2 in August, last year, got my interview in October. So it was 2 months. Things seem to go slower now, as RKandGC said, 3 months seem like the current timeline. However, it might change again in the next few weeks, we never know. 
RKandGC is of course right the fees too. I believe it's 180 euros for the doctor appointment, and 80 more, at least, for the different exams.
Don't forget to save money for the Adjustment of Status once in the US too. Currently, it's about $1,200.  Might be surprising for people who don't look it up (and after 2 years you have to pay about $650 to get the permanent green card. Other fees you want to make sure are planned!)

I'll explain you quickly what you should expect soon:
Once you get the NOA2, the US citizen will get an email that he will have to transfer to you. He will get the email whenever the Embassy in Paris is treating your case for the first time. Might take 3 to 4 weeks AFTER NOA2.
In this letter they will tell you what you need to bring to the embassy. Don't get those things too early, since they don't want it to be too old. 
After NOA2, the US citizen has to send you another letter of intent to marry you. They might want to see a more recent one.
I think you have to get a birth certificate and an extrait de casier judiciaire. (you should, I think, get them after NOA2. Not too late but as late as possible.)
Also, you need a birth certificate in ENGLISH once in the US for the AOS (it can be in french for the interview.) 
So, make sure you get it translated by a certified translator before you come to the US. I got my casier judiciaire translated too, but I don't think it's needed, it was just in case. The cost was 60 euros per page.

I hope it was clear!

Timeline
On 11/02/2017 at 2:55 AM, FeBo said:

Hey everyone! 

Hi dude I am new too, we are in the same situation right now ahaha maybe we will meet at the US Embassy :P 
Can we stay in contact ? I'm also waiting for the NOA2 but I don't have ideas about the date.

Cheers

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité.

Timeline
On 2/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, quentin955 said:

Welcome here!

I got NOA 2 in August, last year, got my interview in October. So it was 2 months. Things seem to go slower now, as RKandGC said, 3 months seem like the current timeline. However, it might change again in the next few weeks, we never know. 
RKandGC is of course right the fees too. I believe it's 180 euros for the doctor appointment, and 80 more, at least, for the different exams.
Don't forget to save money for the Adjustment of Status once in the US too. Currently, it's about $1,200.  Might be surprising for people who don't look it up (and after 2 years you have to pay about $650 to get the permanent green card. Other fees you want to make sure are planned!)

I'll explain you quickly what you should expect soon:
Once you get the NOA2, the US citizen will get an email that he will have to transfer to you. He will get the email whenever the Embassy in Paris is treating your case for the first time. Might take 3 to 4 weeks AFTER NOA2.
In this letter they will tell you what you need to bring to the embassy. Don't get those things too early, since they don't want it to be too old. 
After NOA2, the US citizen has to send you another letter of intent to marry you. They might want to see a more recent one.
I think you have to get a birth certificate and an extrait de casier judiciaire. (you should, I think, get them after NOA2. Not too late but as late as possible.)
Also, you need a birth certificate in ENGLISH once in the US for the AOS (it can be in french for the interview.) 
So, make sure you get it translated by a certified translator before you come to the US. I got my casier judiciaire translated too, but I don't think it's needed, it was just in case. The cost was 60 euros per page.

I hope it was clear!

Congrats to everyone on the recent approvals and marriages!

Thank you to plb and quentin955 for responding to my previous post too!

We are hoping to get the NOA2 very soon...working on getting the documents ready for the embassy

Could someone share a scan or the text of the embassy packets and e-mails (without your personal information)?  The following website is not clear on Police certificates http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=France&cty=Paris

quentin955 mentioned that the Birth certificate and Police certificate for the interview should not be more than 3 months old...does the package from the embassy mention that requirement?  Because for other types of visas on the DOS website, Police certificates are good for 1 year.  How long does it take to get the French Police certificate?

My fiancée lived in the US for a year, so a Police certificate would technically be needed, but it seems since it is the US, they do a background check anyway (I think the NVC does it), so you don't need it...I think...

Do you know if it is possible for my fiancée to give the embassy her work address for the TNT signature-required K1 visa delivery?

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
7 hours ago, MovingBack said:

Congrats to everyone on the recent approvals and marriages!

Thank you to plb and quentin955 for responding to my previous post too!

We are hoping to get the NOA2 very soon...working on getting the documents ready for the embassy

Could someone share a scan or the text of the embassy packets and e-mails (without your personal information)?  The following website is not clear on Police certificates http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=France&cty=Paris

quentin955 mentioned that the Birth certificate and Police certificate for the interview should not be more than 3 months old...does the package from the embassy mention that requirement?  Because for other types of visas on the DOS website, Police certificates are good for 1 year.  How long does it take to get the French Police certificate?

My fiancée lived in the US for a year, so a Police certificate would technically be needed, but it seems since it is the US, they do a background check anyway (I think the NVC does it), so you don't need it...I think...

Do you know if it is possible for my fiancée to give the embassy her work address for the TNT signature-required K1 visa delivery?

Thank you!

I just found the document they sent us.
I will not forward it you because it's official and I don't know if I should. But i can tell you what you need. They give a few steps:

1. Complete form (DS-160) Online Immigrant Visa Application (PRINT out the Confirmation page that contains the bar code and BRING IT with you at the interview.) Tell your fiance NOT to do that until you get the email from the embassy, of course!

2. The list of the things the applicant needs to bring to the embassy:
     -Passport
     -Photographs:  One (1) color photograph  ( I don't remember if I brought one or two)
     -Birth certificates:  One original or a certified copy of the birth certificate (copie INTEGRALE de l’acte de naissance) 
     -In countries such as France where an updated birth certificate is available, the birth certificate must be less than 3 months old. The birth certificate must state the date and place of birth and the names of both parents.  The certificate must also indicate if it is an extract from official records.
     -Police certificates from the police authorities of:  the applicant’s country of citizenship, current country of residence (if applicant has resided there for at least six months) and all countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year. Please seehttp://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html  for more information on how to obtain a police certificate (with the exception of the United States). ( So it might not apply for people who lived in the US. To be honest, I do not know.)
the French “casier judiciaire bulletin n°3” must be less than 3 months old at the time of the interview.  ( Here is your answer!)
     -Statement: In order to extend the validity of the I-129F, an original letter of intent dated less than four months old, signed by the U.S. petitioner, will be required at the time of the interview
“I, the U.S. Petitioner…name...  and the Beneficiary … name…  remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States” (I'd do it right after NOA2)

Then they want either a marriage certificate (for the K3 visa), divorce or death certificates of previous marriages (if needed),  "Courts and prison records", and "deportation papers". I don't think it applies to many people, but it's on the list.

They also ask for military records. I brought a copy of my Journee d'appel certificate but it was not needed.

3. Medical exam and appointment for the interview.

And... voila!!

To answer your other questions: I asked for my police certificates online (that's how it works anyway), I asked for three copies (It's free and we never know), and got everything in less than a week. 
Since they tend to take a few weeks to send the email after NOA2 (And they have to get the packet from the USCIS anyway), I'd ask for it after NOA2. Actually, your fiancee can even ask for it after you get the email from the embassy, you will have enough time to get it before the interview. I hope it's clear, I am not sure!
Also, for the birth certificate, if your fiancee does not live too far away from where she was born, she should go there after NOA2 and not too early. It usually takes a few minutes for them to give it to people. She should ask for at least 3 copies, since it's free and you never know!
Make sure she gets it translated (It has to be certified), not for the interview, do not worry about it, but for the adjustment of status, later in the US!

Also, it does not state that you can not give your work address. I am not sure about it but I'd say it's okay if she gives her work address. 

I hope it was helpful and clear. We will of course be here to help once you are further in the process!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello! 

In other forum, I read that some embassy ask for the affidavit of support for the interview. Not the Paris one ? I ask that because I want to prepare all the document for the interview as soon as possible ( so, I hope, not in a too long time ;) ), like right after the Noa2 if possible. Also, for some country, it is possible to start scheduling the interview, medical exams, pay the fees ect,  just after the NVC and before receiving the mail from the embassy. Don't work like that in France... ? I have the feeling that no, but well... always better to ask... ;) 

Thanks for the answer!! 

Timeline

Hi,

I don't know for other embassies, I just had my interview in Paris and they didn't ask for it.

You cannot schedule anything before you get the email, because you will need a number from the email to do all of that I believe. 

Timeline

I'm days away from sending in my fiance's K-1 fiance visa application. Are visas still being granted (in general) within 5-8 months max. I saw if there are RFE there's about a 2 month delay usually, does it still seem to be true? I

Timeline

Good evening everyone!

I'm writing specifically to the ones out there who have been contacted recently by the Paris embassy as I'm at this stage of the process myself - but this question might be of interest to other people.

The Paris embassy received our case 3 weeks ago and I still haven't been contacted to schedule the interview. Is this normal? Can someone who's been contacted recently tell me how long it had been since their case arrived in Paris? Also, can someone who scheduled their interview recently tell me what the calendar looked like? Were there a lot of available slots? What was the earliest day available to have the interview (if you can remember)?

I'm trying to figure out when I'll be able to have the interview and when I should get the visa because I have a lot of things to settle before leaving - especially with my employer and my landlord. My plan was to leave by the end of May but I might need to delay my departure if I don't hear from the Paris embassy soon.

Thank you to anyone who would be willing to answer my questions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.