Chantal&Marjo

What surnames write in the forms DS-260 & DS-261??

11 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi guys, I have a problem!! I'm looking at the forms DS-260&DS-261 thanks to a post that was sent to me, one is this

---> http://www.docstoc.com/docs/49845403/DS-260-screen-shots

Ok, now, my problem is this: I'm italian, and in Italy when get merried the wife doesn't take husband's surname, like happenz in the US.

So in Italy I have my surname from birth, but since I married my surname is change in States, and now in US i have only husband's surname.

Every documents are for me with husband's surname, but on my passport isn't my new surname!

In this form DS-260 the explanation for the surname is that: "Enter all surnames as listed in you passport or travel documentation". So I understand that, I write my surname from birth.... exactly?

But do you think I didn't make problems if the petition has been made with my "new" surname?? OMG please help me I'm gonna be crazy for this!!!

Sorry for my english thank you in advance for answer!

2FMbp1.png

I-130 / F-2A ( Spouse of LPR ) varie_amore_10.gif

To see every step go to my Immigration Story..

02.13.2012 NOA 1 - PRIORITY DATE

11.20.2013 NOA 2 - APPROVAL DATE

03.07.2014 CASE COMPLETE

04.04.2014 INTERVIEW LETTER

05.20.2014 MEDICAL EXAMINATION

05.21.2014 INTERVIEW DATE

06.03.2014 AP...THE WAIT CAN BE FROM 1 TO 4 MONTHS...

08.08.2014 YET IN AP, STATUS UPDATE DATE CHANGE AT TODAY!! AUGUST 8 !! YUPPY!

08.11.2014 YET IN AP...AT TODAY HAVE PASSED 7 WEEKS (counting business days)

08.12.2014 OMG!! TODAY VISA STATUS SAY READY!!! I can't believe!!!

08.13.2014 VISA STATUS ISSUED!!!!!

08.24.25014 POE

lineacuori.gif

N-400 My hubby's Naturalization varie_amore_10.gif

PHOENIX LOCKBOX

07.14.2014 N-400 MAILED

07.17.2014 N-400 DELIVERED

07.24.2014 N-400 ACCEPTANCE CONFIRMATION LETTER

08.08.2014 FINGERPRINT LETTER

08.18.2014 FINGERPRINT APPOINTMENT DATE

28.09.2014 INTERVIEW LETTER

22.10.2014 INTERVIEW DATE

30.10.2014 OATH CERIMONY FINALLY US CITIZEN!!!!

11.07.2014 US Passport Received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

From what I can tell from your previous posts, you've never immigrated to the US before. How did you change your name in the US then? Changing name doesn't just happen automatically after marriage. You need to do to the Social Security Office and change it there after the marriage. Have you done it? If not, you still have your maiden name - the one on your passport -, and you should use that one on the forms.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

- I am the beneficiary -

Timeline

From what I can tell from your previous posts, you've never immigrated to the US before. How did you change your name in the US then? Changing name doesn't just happen automatically after marriage. You need to do to the Social Security Office and change it there after the marriage. Have you done it? If not, you still have your maiden name - the one on your passport -, and you should use that one on the forms.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mm..I don't know..it's complicated..because I don't speak too much english, my husband better, but not very good and when we get married we don't undestand everything!!Only on municipal they make me do the signature with my name and my husband's surname. when we filed the I-130 and send any documents the name of petitioner is my husband, and beneficiary is mine with his surname. When USCIS send the Notice of Action one more time I have my husband's surname.

Oh I'm sorry I'm confuse when I try to explain, I hope you can understand something!!

2FMbp1.png

03.07.2014 CASE COMPLETE

08.24.25014 POE

lineacuori.gif

PHOENIX LOCKBOX

07.14.2014 N-400 MAILED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I am pretty sure the name on your visa should match the one on your passport, but I don't know what you should do to have that happen. Sorry I can't be of much help. Hope others will chime in on this. Good luck!

- I am the beneficiary -

Timeline

I am pretty sure the name on your visa should match the one on your passport, but I don't know what you should do to have that happen. Sorry I can't be of much help. Hope others will chime in on this. Good luck!

Thank you!

2FMbp1.png

03.07.2014 CASE COMPLETE

08.24.25014 POE

lineacuori.gif

PHOENIX LOCKBOX

07.14.2014 N-400 MAILED

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

You did it right. Every where that you saw other name used, write your maiden name. Dont' worry, you are not the only one. It doesn't matter for your passeport also. They can match the name on your passport with the marriage certificate.

You have nothing to worry about the majority of women who came to this country deal with the same problem.

Edited by MIDUVIL

Timeline

You did it right. Every where that you saw other name used, write your maiden name. Dont' worry, you are not the only one. It doesn't matter for your passeport also. They can match the name on your passport with the marriage certificate.

You have nothing to worry about the majority of women who came to this country deal with the same problem.

Thank you so much Miduvil!!!I feel much more calm now smile.png

2FMbp1.png

03.07.2014 CASE COMPLETE

08.24.25014 POE

lineacuori.gif

PHOENIX LOCKBOX

07.14.2014 N-400 MAILED

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I know this post has been off for a while, but I am in a similar situation. I am the USC petitioner and would like to know what last name to put on the DS 261 for my wife. We used my last name for her on the I-130 and then wrote her maiden name in the "other names used" section. When we received the notice of receipt from the NVC, my wife's name had my last name on the letter. However, the DS-261 states that the name indicated should match the name on the passport, which in our case, still has her maiden name.

I am inclined to believe that I have to put her maiden name listed on the passport on the DS-261. If we do, what name will be on her visa, and subsequently her green card? We would like to have her use my last name on her documents after coming to US.

Any thoughts or ideas please?

• 10 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know this post has been off for a while, but I am in a similar situation. I am the USC petitioner and would like to know what last name to put on the DS 261 for my wife. We used my last name for her on the I-130 and then wrote her maiden name in the "other names used" section. When we received the notice of receipt from the NVC, my wife's name had my last name on the letter. However, the DS-261 states that the name indicated should match the name on the passport, which in our case, still has her maiden name.

I am inclined to believe that I have to put her maiden name listed on the passport on the DS-261. If we do, what name will be on her visa, and subsequently her green card? We would like to have her use my last name on her documents after coming to US.

Did you figure out the answer to this?

I am in the exact same situation.

Can you change your passport after you submit the form and then call the NVC to let them know about the change?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You wife must renew her passport to married name if she wants the GC to be in her married name.

They will issue the visa according to the name on the passport and the GC will be issued according to the name on the visa. All 3 must have the same name.

It's easier to do the name change prior to coming to the US in my opinion (and that's what I did).

Edited by apple21

• 5 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/13/2015 at 12:25 PM, JakenLauren said:

Did you figure out the answer to this?

I am in the exact same situation.

Can you change your passport after you submit the form and then call the NVC to let them know about the change?

On 3/13/2015 at 12:32 PM, apple21 said:

You wife must renew her passport to married name if she wants the GC to be in her married name.

They will issue the visa according to the name on the passport and the GC will be issued according to the name on the visa. All 3 must have the same name.

It's easier to do the name change prior to coming to the US in my opinion (and that's what I did).

Hi! I know your post on here is really old but I'm looking for some help. We just got our NVC welcome letter and are reviewing the sample forms and collecting all required civic documents. I'm Canadian and this is the situation:

We applied for the I-130 with my married name. The NVC welcome letter of course has my married surname. While we've been waiting for the approval, I did the legal name change, changed my license, got new birth certificate (with new surname as ontario advised to do), now because of COVID I couldn't get my passport changed quick enough. Passport services shut down and recently reopened for mail in service only. Will take one month. Since I don't want to wait another month to get this done, I'm wondering what your experience was. I will have my new passport with my married surname for the interview. SO should I put the last name that currently matches my passport or should I put what the name on passport will be?? I don't want to put the wrong thing and then have delays!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.