anoras87

work permit question please comment

8 posts in this topic

ive heard that you can get a temp work permit for 90 days at JFK airport. and this work permit is based on (a)(6) code. if i am willing to get this, my question is, do i have to make JFK as my port of entry to have my I-94 stamped with work permit? or could it be possible that jfk is one of my layover and not my first poe? please help. thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

Even if JFK did issue you a temp work permit you would not be able to work. You would need to apply for your work permit before getting married and when you enter the USA you have 90 days to get married and it takes close to that to get the work permit so it is a waste of money to get it before you get married. Better off to wait till you get married then apply for the work permit.

What you can do when you enter is get your SSN card. wait about a week and then go into the SSN office and they should be able to help you out. If you have anymore questions or the SSA office denies you an SSN just come back here and people will be able to guide you as to what to do.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline

The I-9 is what you want to look at. It does not say that a POE stamp is an acceptable work authorization document. Please see that form so you can see exactly what you need to work.

http://www.purdue.edu/hr/pdf/i-9.pdf

In other words, the stamp at JFK, although still used, is useless for work authorization

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Hi there,

Even if JFK did issue you a temp work permit you would not be able to work. You would need to apply for your work permit before getting married and when you enter the USA you have 90 days to get married and it takes close to that to get the work permit so it is a waste of money to get it before you get married. Better off to wait till you get married then apply for the work permit.

What you can do when you enter is get your SSN card. wait about a week and then go into the SSN office and they should be able to help you out. If you have anymore questions or the SSA office denies you an SSN just come back here and people will be able to guide you as to what to do.

thank you for your response. . the reason for my post was ive read somewhere in this forum that there are two different categories of ead. theres one base on (a) (6) which jfk issue and expires the moment your i-94 expires. , theres also another base on ©(9) of which has a year validity and is applied for concurrent filing with i-485.. the reason i am trying to find ways to work asap when i get to the us because my soon to be wife's brother in law owns a bar nearby and offered me to work there part time. and told me to research about temp work permit, as her wife who was her fiancee and came to the US via k1 visa got a temp work permit that expires along with the i-94. and before it expired, they got married and filed for i-485 and concurrent filing for ead base on ©(9). .. and my plan is, if i am correct with the research am doing, il apply for temporary work permit (a)(6) category that expires along with my i-94. and then get marry asap and file for i-485 concurrently file for work permit base on ©(9) category. i know im tyring to find a loophole on how to work. i cant help it. i just learned my fiancee is pregnant (3 months pregnant) idea9dv.gifdancin5hr.gif and i need to work to save for the expenses.

PS; i might be wrong with some details and im hoping someone who is way ahead of me will comment on this post. thank you

Timeline

Please read the document i attached as to what is authorized work documents, you will see that your stamp at the POE is not suitable.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

The above poster is also correct that your stamp at the POE is not acceptable as work authorization. As well even if you did apply before you got married, it would take 60-90 days to get and would expire with your I-94. It is a waste of money.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I do not even know if JFK still gives that stamp. Even if they did, it is not valid to work with, and as far as I know, it never really was. As was already mentioned, it is not a valid documentation for work authorization.

You must have an EAD. JFK does not issue an EAD based on (a )(6 ) category. You would have to file for an EAD and check off the (a )(6 ) category. There is a $380 fee for that. The EAD you would receive would expire when your I-94 does, so by the time you received it, you would not really have time to use it for employment.

When you file for the EAD with the I-485, the fee for the form is waived and you would be filing with a (c )(9 ) category. Get married, file for AOS as soon as you get a copy of your certified marriage certificate from the court. Apply for the EAD then too. It takes 2-3 months to receive after filing. That is pretty much your only option.

There is not a loophole. If being able to work right away was incredibly important, then the K-1 was not the right visa for you.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

thank yall for your response. atleast now iknow whats the real deal. which means i need to work my as& out here before coming to somehow i can help my fiancee cover the bills.. thnk you again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.