LocketShark

Can I visit my partner in UK with just a US passport?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all, sorry if this topic has already been answered, but I couldn't find a thread anywhere, so started a new.

I am a US citizen, I have visited the UK twice in the past, for a month at a time, with just my US passport. This time I want to visit my partner for 3 months. I have looked everywhere on the UK boarder website, and its said nothing about visiting a partner (boyfriend/girlfriend) only about visiting fiances or spouses. It said I need a visa to visit a spouse, but what about a partner? Would that just be considered a friend/tourist visit? Their website said I can visit up to 6 months without a visa, if I don't plan on getting married or working or studying in England, which I don't plan on doing any of that at all, I just want to visit then return to the USA.

My question is, has anyone out there gone to the UK from the US with just a passport, to visit their partner? Does anyone have any advice? Please help! Please and thank you, and thank you for your time.

Also, for added information, I do have a job and a home to return to. Thank you for your time!

You would be entering as a tourist, and I doubt would have any issues doing so.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

My Fiancee visited me in the UK half a dozen times over 2 years, no problems at all. Just make sure you have a return flight and you know the address of where you will be staying.

It's totally fine.

My husband used to visit me in the UK all the time before we were married. He eventually had a problem where he was approaching visiting the UK for almost 6 months accumulated in one 12 month period, got a bit of hassle at border control ("...are you sure you're not working in the UK?" etc etc.), but was given a "coded landing" and told his next visit should be on a more appropriate visa (he got a work transfer in the end). They still let him in, despite the hassle! smile.png

We've been back to the UK since we moved to the USA and his UK work visa expired, and he got in fine then, too.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

My Fiancee visited me in the UK half a dozen times over 2 years, no problems at all. Just make sure you have a return flight and you know the address of where you will be staying.

Yeah. My fiance forgot the address of where he was staying (I was in temporary digs at the time as we were close to the finish line). They still let him in but it was pretty daft of him. I had drummed into him how much I had to do to ensure I could get into the US each time I flew. I think he thought 'I'm an American. Why would they think I would want to live anywhere but America?'

He was upfront and said he was visiting his fiancee and we were going through the K1 visa route. He had a return ticket.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And its always good to have plenty of proof that you wiill be returning to your home country 'just in case' they ask searching questions,i.e.bank statements,mortgage or rent statements,proof of a job,car park reservation ticket at the airport,latest household bills,credit cards,debit cards,cash to keep you going for some while and anything that an IO can see ties you to your homeland and convinces him you will return to your home.

You should be ok if you have been before and returned home,but for my own peace of mind when visiting my american girlfriend/fiance i took extra stuff with me so there was no doubt i had ties to home.only once was i asked about ties and i produced my file,they didnt look at it but merely said ok thats fine.

Its good to have evidence and thats the advice i was given by an immigration officer friend of mine at Heathrow,it saves them hassle too !

Filed: Timeline

Thank you all so much! You've all been such a big help. It makes me feel much better to know I can enter with just my passport, and needed information of returning to america, without a visa. I will gather all the information you all suggested and have it on my person before I leave, that was very good advice. Thank you all again! I hope all of your visa journeys are going well, and fast! Thank you!

Timeline

My fiancé visited twice this year and the first time had completely forgotten where I live in England and the second time we were going to fly out to turkey for a week together as soon as he arrived and he had absolutely no idea where we were going lol officers were very suspicious but believed him when he said I organise everything n he just goes along with it. I think as long as you know where u staying n hv return address no worries

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

I just posted our experience of this after fiance entered for a 5 month visit ...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/471764-border-experience-of-fiances-long-visit-to-the-uk/

Timeline

I went to England a couple of times, no problem. In London the first time they casually glanced at me and asked a couple questions, but when I flew into Birmingham they just waved me through.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.