Sweetmelissa

What does the "Proof of Relationship" section actually LOOK like?

11 posts in this topic

I understand what should be in it, etc in terms of primary and secondary evidence.

My question is, what should that part of the visa application actually PHYSICALLY look like? My fiance and I have met ~12 times in the last two years, and we have all sorts of airline/hotel ticket stubs, email confirmations, pictures, confirmation emails, ticket reciepts for events attended, etc.

Do I just put everything in order and staple it together? Should all the same types of evidence be grouped together? Do I highlight names/dates?

OR should I use a file folder for each meeting time and put in the appripriate evidence? Should pictures go in plastic ziplock bags and stapled to something?

HELP (lol)! We want to do this right the first time.

Thank you <3

Melissa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

We made photocopies of all of em (they advice not to send originals). All the pages ended up being the same size because of that, which actually made it easier. I ordered everything by date and put some colored post its (Like some sort of color code, each trip had a different color). I also highlighted the important things on the photocopies, such as dates or names. I did photocopied several stubs in one page if they fit.

Our application was put together with a fastener at the top.

For pictures, I used this transparent folder ish which I also attached with the fastener. ( http://www.plasticosinti.com/images/micaportapapeles.gif ) I have no idea if you have ever seen that... But we just took all the air out and the pictures wouldn't fall. I did have to cut the sides a bit so it wouldn't be bigger than the rest of the file and get creative to make the punch holes right. I wrote names, location and dates on the pictures and also add a colored post it to indicate which trip it was.

Well that's what we did, hope it helps. smile.png

Edited by Mari26

Naturalization Journey: 

- January 25th, 2019 - Filed N400 form online [Seattle,WA office]

- January 25th, 2019 - NOA1

- January 26th, 2019 - Priority Date

- February 2nd, 2019 - Biometrics appointment scheduled

- February 20th, 2019 - Biometrics appointment

- June 7th, 2019 - Case Transfered [somewhere] Estimated completition time Dec 2019 (4 months) 

** July 24th, 2019 - Checked websites Estimated completition time Aug 2019 [???] (1 month) 

- August 29th, 2019 - Interview Scheduled! [October 7th, 2019 in Portland, OR]

- October 7th, 2019 - Interview [Approved!] Scheduled for same day Oath which was later cancelled... 

- October 25th, 2019 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled 

- November 6th, 2019 - Oath Ceremony [in Portland, OR]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi, Melissa...!

Let me share with you what I did. Then the others in the forum can just add on.

I developed about 12 digital photos and put it in clear plastic bag--similar to a ziplock but thicker. I put my name and my fiance's name at the back and the date. I also made a summary of these photos on 3 sheets of copy paper and typed the description beside each one. The papers were stapled together.

I didn't get any RFE (request for further evidence) since that's all that I could produce. My fiance misplaced his boarding pass so I didn't have anything else to show.

You may paste the boarding pass on a piece of copy paper and any other evidence with your names and place on it. The point is to show that you were together and that you met. I don't think ticket stubs are necessary if they don't contain your names together.

Another thing to note is that even after filing your application, continue to collect evidence of your relationship. Such as snail mail letters and phone bills. Or other subsequent boarding passes on trips you both have taken together after the application has been filed. The consul will ask for these.

Hope that helps and good luck on your journey.

Jessica

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks all for sharing this. The information provided will be very helpful for me when I get to this stage of my journey.

event.png

April 2, 2014: I-130 Filed with Chicago Lockbox

April 7, 2014: Packaged received by USCIS

April 8, 2014: Received NOA 1

Sept. 17, 2014: Received NOA 2. Case APPROVED with no RFEs

Oct. 17, 2014: Case # Assigned by NVC (Same day case was received, according to Julian # calculation)

Oct. 21, 2014: Received letter from NVC

Oct. 22, 2014: DS-261 completed and submitted to NVC

Oct. 31, 2014: Paid AOS invoice

Dec 08, 2014: Sent in IV & AoS packages

Dec 11, 2014: Package received by NVC

Dec 12, 2014: Received email from NVC acknowledging receipt. I assume this is our scan date

Dec 25, 2014: Paid IV bill

Dec 29, 2014: Funds deducted from bank account. DS-260 became available, and was completed

Dec 30, 2014: Submitted DS-260

Feb. 12, 2015: Case Complete with NO checklist! whoot, whoot!

Mar. 25, 2015: Received P4. Interview

April 29,2015: Completed medical examination

May 13, 2015: Interview Date APPROVED :dancing:

May 19, 2015: Received Package

Oct. 22, 2015: Travelled to my new home :) (In order to get IR-1 Green Card) Expiration date on IR-1/CR-1 Visa - Oct. 29, 2015

Nov 10, 2015: Received Social Security Card

Jan 4, 2016: LPR Green Card arrived.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I understand what should be in it, etc in terms of primary and secondary evidence.

My question is, what should that part of the visa application actually PHYSICALLY look like?

Usually like a bunch of papers of copies of emails, photos, letter describing the evolution of your relationship, etc. Nothing stapled but usually paper clipped and/or binder clipped together.

My fiance and I have met ~12 times in the last two years, and we have all sorts of airline/hotel ticket stubs, email confirmations, pictures, confirmation emails, ticket reciepts for events attended, etc.

Those are great for proof of having met within the last two years....don't do much about proving your relationship, just that you met a lot.

Do I just put everything in order and staple it together?

Yes to the former and no to the latter. use paper clips and binder clips.

Should all the same types of evidence be grouped together?

No, it should be in chronological order and should provide proof to a total stranger that your relationship evolved over time to one where you both want to be together, forever and become married and do not wish to circumvent immigration laws.

Do I highlight names/dates?

Sure

OR should I use a file folder for each meeting time and put in the appripriate evidence?

For proof of meeting, you one need highlight ONE meeting, not all of them. People have recieved RFEs for having too many meetings and sketchy proof overall.

Should pictures go in plastic ziplock bags and stapled to something?

All my photos were digital. I printed them out, about four to a page on a color printer and then added a description beneath each. Then to another sheet of paper I had the photos rprinted out as 4X6 size and wrote the names and dates on the back and placed these into a baggie and stapled that to the blank sheet. Then I paper clipped this to the first printed sheet.

HELP (lol)! We want to do this right the first time.

Thank you <3

Melissa

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

If you met once, like we did, (3 weeks) then once.

If you met more than once, then group the pictures together and attach them. For example if you met in Jan, Mar, May 2013. Then have 3 sets of 5 photos with descriptions. Explicitly:

(one set) 5 photos together in Jan, including boarding passes, etc.

(one set) 5 photos together in Mar, including boarding passes, etc.

(one set) 5 photos together in May, including boarding passes, etc.

The more evidence you have of meeting face to face, the better.

If the evidence from our first few meetings is kind of weak (because obv I was NOT thinking long term at that time and saving ) - so I just not mention it? Or make a note "met during this time period, heres a random picture, but did not save any paper work" etc?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

We wrote a brief explanation on each of our trips (When, where, how long) and then group our trips together and write it the details down on a cover page according to the evidence that I have. eg:-

Cover Page

Sept 2012.

a) Boarding Pass

b) Flight itineraries

c) Hotel Receipt

d) Photos

e) Passport Stamp

Dec 2012.

a) Boarding Pass

b) Flight itineraries

c) Hotel Receipt

d) Photos

e) Passport Stamp

Hope this helps :)

Our Story

April 2012 - Met in my hometown

Sept 6, 2012 - Trip to the Philippines

Sept 7, 2012 - Officially a couple

Dec 3-7, 2012 - Trip to Hong Kong!

April 20, 2013 - I went to Guam biggrin.png

May 2013 - Came back and he proposed!

Jan 3, 2014 - Official engagement according to my custom

K1 Visa Journey

August 28, 2013 - Mailed I-129F

Sept 10, 2013 - NOA1 (hardcopy)

Oct 2, 2013 - NOA2

Nov 6, 2013 - NVC received (Case creation date)

Nov 8, 2013 - NVC left

Nov 12, 2013 - Embassy received

Nov 22, 2013 - CEAC status updated (p3 sent to me)

Nov 29, 2013 - Received P3

Dec 2, 2013 - Replied P3

Dec 4, 2013 - CEAC status updated (Embassy received P3)

Dec 13, 2013 - CEAC status updated (interview date assigned - Called DoS to get it)

Dec 16, 2013 - Medical in Kuching - Passed

Dec 20, 2013 - Received P4 hardcopy

Jan 9, 2013 - RESULT: APPROVED!!!!!

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What I did was print out emails, some skype/text messages, trip itineraries, and just printed 2 pages containing 8 photos (4 from travels and 4 from the wedding). I wrote on each picture the date it was taken and where we were. I highlighted the dates on each of the emails/chat logs. Pretty much a sample - like a couple from each month. I sent a copy of my pension/life insurance policies that I had him added to as the beneficiary along with affidavits from my dad and a couple of friends about our relationship. I also included a time line with each time we met and a few personal details just to make it feel more human and less like a list I was writing to meet requirements ;)

I was recently approved with no issues. I don't think you would get an RFE for putting in TOO much evidence, so go with what you are comfortable with.

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Wait ... so I only need to submit proof of ONE meeting? Or just go into detail for one, but also include other proof?

Yes detail one meeting. That's all they care about, that you met at least once. You don't get extra credit for more than one meeting.

Save that evidence for your proof of relationship for the interview.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.