Anja_and_Henry

Government child support question

22 posts in this topic

Dixie...it is a universal payment available to all equally until the children reach 16 or 18 if remaining in education. Child Support is different, that is payable by the absent parent.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Well you do receive a tax benefit on your federal and state income taxes.

Dependin up your tax situation, it may be worth like 1000 in cash on your federal return.

The govt aint gonna send you meney for having kids. Only if you were on welfare, which your sponser would have to reimburse IAW the 864 that he/she signed.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

. Does the government there support you if you have kids regardless your situation ?? That would be nice though... :P

Here in the UK everyone with a child receives a monthly amount per child....I think it is something like 16 pounds for the first and 10 for subsequent children...payable to everyone regardless of income.

welshie... everyone gets this? even if the child's parents are married to each other? or is that only for single parents? i had never heard of this... here in the states, the child's absentee parent pays the child support... either through the courts, directly to the parent... or through the child support recovery agency (gov't agency).

Maybe a silly question: Does the government in the US pay child support? In Germany we get 154.00 Euro per month...

Anja

Anja... nope, not a silly question... very interesting i think!

I think the confusion exists because of the terms used. "Child support" in most West-European countries is more like a benefit, a social security and yes, each child is eligible. As I've mentioned before: in Belgium, to the age of 18 and even older (25) if you're still studying.

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

In the US, "child support" apparently means something totally different, it is alimony.

Alimony and child support are 2 very different things..

alimony is paid to the ex spouse (usually until she/he remarries again) regardless of whether you had kids with that person or not. It's not always awarded, and it's not always asked for. Child support is mandated to be a specific % of the non custodial parent's income paid to the custodial parent. It is always awarded as it is in each state, the law.

but ok, now i get what ya'll are talking about. You do get a child tax credit from the government. It is 1000 per child and can be more if you pay for daycare. This is payable to you at tax time in the form of a tax credit.

Edited by faith

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there, Thanks for the response so far.

"Child support" in Germany is payed by the government for each child, regardless of the income of the parents, single or married, 154.00 Euro per month until the child is 18 or 25 (finishing education).

When the parents are separated, the single parent gets child support from the ex spouse AND support from the government....

I think pax is right by saying: "....benefit to counteract negative birth rates...." is the big reason for the government payments. But it is also family support, politics.

Soon I will loose this even Henry has dual citizenship. :(

Anja

intersting link: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/174summ.pdf

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

I know my sister in law's children all get money from the govenment in Switzerland. and supposedly they get a reasonable amount of money each month (by reasonable, i mean that it would be a sufficiant amount to live off of without having a job).....

I aint cool enough for a signature.....

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
but ok, now i get what ya'll are talking about. You do get a child tax credit from the government. It is 1000 per child and can be more if you pay for daycare. This is payable to you at tax time in the form of a tax credit.

Yes, as you say...the child tax credit...and at a maximum of $1000 per child, that sounds a lot sweeter a deal than 16 pounds per month.

from http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106182,00.html

Claiming the Child Tax Credit

IRS Tax Tip 2006-45

With the Child Tax Credit, you may be able to reduce the federal income tax you owe by up to $1,000 for each qualifying child under the age of 17.

A qualifying child for this credit is someone who meets the following criteria:

• Dependent Is claimed as your dependent

• Age Was under age 17 at the end of 2005

• Relationship Is your son, daughter, adopted child, grandchild, stepchild or eligible foster child, your sibling, stepsibling or their descendant

• Citizenship Is a U.S. citizen or resident alien

The credit is limited if your modified adjusted gross income is above a certain amount. The amount at which this phase-out begins varies depending on your filing status:

• Married Filing Jointly $110,000

• Married Filing Separately $ 55,000

• All others $ 75,000

In addition, the Child Tax Credit is generally limited by the amount of the income tax you owe as well as any alternative minimum tax you owe.

If the amount of your Child Tax Credit is greater than the amount of income tax you owe, you may be able to claim some or all of the difference as an “additional” Child Tax Credit. The additional Child Tax Credit may give you a refund even if you do not owe any tax. For 2005, the total amount of the Child Tax Credit and any additional Child Tax Credit cannot exceed the maximum of $1,000 for each qualifying child.

You may claim the Child Tax Credit on Form 1040 or 1040A. Details on how to compute the credit can be found in the forms’ instructions and in Publication 972, Child Tax Credit. The forms and publications are available from the IRS Web site at IRS.gov or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony