indiak1

I134 and W2 - what to bring???

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So my situation is this:

Last year I was a student and did not meet the poverty guidelines for the I134. However, I now have a full time job well above the 125% line as of this year (Sept). I want to know if including my 2012 W2 when I earned less is necessary or could it even make me look bad? (Also I ended up owing on my tax return due to confusion with one employer).

Also, I DO have a cosponsor but they are not submitting tax or W2 forms, just supporting evidence, plus proof of assets (since the cosponsor is a homeowner).

Since the cosponsor is not submitting W2, do you think its best I leave out my W2 as well? What about including the 2012 tax return which I owed money on?

I do plan on providing substantial evidence and documentation of employment (both sponsors have an employer letter, bank statements, pay stubs, and birth certificate included).

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

If you earn over the 125% poverty guideline and you're stable in your recent job, you might not need to provide tax returns at all, or use a co-sponsor. Have you read reviews on Indian embassies to see what they tend to ask for?

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Both the sponsor and the cosponsor must send in, besides the other documents you've listed:

Full copies of the last three years IRS filings (not just the w2s, but copy of the entire filing.

OR

IRS Tax Transcripts free from the IRS.

The transcripts are best.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

If you earn over the 125% poverty guideline and you're stable in your recent job, you might not need to provide tax returns at all, or use a co-sponsor. Have you read reviews on Indian embassies to see what they tend to ask for?

Yes, we have looked over the requirements. BOTH the packet 4 (final packet) from the New Delhi embassy as well as the instruction sheet for the I-134 do NOT say the tax returns/W-2 are a requirement as long as proof of income is established. But I was concerned because packet 3 says they ARE required.

I, the primary sponsor, will be providing tax returns/W-2 for myself for the past 2-3 years, although none of those reflect my current financial situation.

Since the interview is so soon, there is no way to get these documents from my cosponsor, but like I said, his income was established in a variety of other proofs. Do you think there may be issues because of this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

One packet states they are required, then you need to research about what is required for your particular consulate. Not all of them have the same requirements and many could answer your question but be mistaken because they are going off the instructions and what is required for their own, different consulate. When it comes to the K-1 interview, you should always follow the instructions and requirements for your own consulate and not follow any guides for any other. Check the reviews for your consulate and the India regional forum to find out if others were required to submit tax returns with their I-134.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

One packet states they are required, then you need to research about what is required for your particular consulate. Not all of them have the same requirements and many could answer your question but be mistaken because they are going off the instructions and what is required for their own, different consulate. When it comes to the K-1 interview, you should always follow the instructions and requirements for your own consulate and not follow any guides for any other. Check the reviews for your consulate and the India regional forum to find out if others were required to submit tax returns with their I-134.

Both packets 3 and 4 were from our particular embassy. That's why we're so confused.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know!

I will check out the regional forum as well - thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.