Ahren & Edna

K 1 visa with a child and no court orders on single parenthood.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

hello vjers,

I have my k1 interview coming up soon. My daughter, a minor will be going with me.

I have read that I need to obtain official authority from her father to allow me to travel with her or a court order indicating that I am her sole custodian.

In my case, I am her sole custodian since birth. Her fathers name is not indicated on her birth certificate, neither do i have contact with him. Do i still need to obtain court orders indicating that i am the sole custodian,or the blank birth certificate is enough.

Please help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My fiance was not required to prove he was permitted to remove his son from Jamaica but I am sure each country might have different rules. I hope you can get an answer; I was surprised he was not required. In your case, you would think without a father listed on the birth certificate you would be exempted. God willing you do not have any problems.

"Verily, after hardship there is ease" Holy Qur'an 94:6

http://www.anaashad.blogspot.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

To remove a child without prior parental consent opens the parties harboring the removed child to potential international kidnapping charges if the parent whos child was stolen wishes to press charges. It pays to handle this ahead of time.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

To remove a child without prior parental consent opens the parties harboring the removed child to potential international kidnapping charges if the parent whos child was stolen wishes to press charges. It pays to handle this ahead of time.

I honestly believe the father has no interest in the child; otherwise he'd be in the child's life to begin with now wouldn't he? How would he even find out if he hasn't had contact with them for God knows how long so how could he even think of filing kidnapping charges? He probably doesn't even care anything about the mother or the child, and I know that may sound terrible, but sadly...it's probably the truth. And, she's not "stealing" the child...isn't that kind of a harsh comment? Edna is fairly new to VJ and she doesn't need to have any unnecessary fears added to her journey. I know you certainly didn't mean it, but your post doesn't sound very nice. Perhaps before you post, you should read over your comments to make certain they are in a positive light. Instead of saying it the way you did, and probably scaring her about "the stolen child" and "international kidnapping charges" why don't you try to give her some constructive advice on "how to handle it ahead of time"? Ending it the way you did is in a very negative light. Take your time in replying to posts instead of replying to so many and not reading it over before hitting the reply button. It's all coming from a good place heart.gif Just saying, so please don't get angry with me.

Edna, try to find out what you can do about this even though you have no contact with her father. There's got to be something you can do to cover yourself. Perhaps just ask an attorney in Kenya. I will ask my husband if he has any suggestions for you. Try not to worry too much about it. I'm sure it will all work out in your favor! I will ask my husband for you where you should go or what he thinks you could do! Stay blessed.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If the father finds that the child is removed all he has to do is report it and the parent that unlawfully removed the child is in a lot of trouble. as will the spouse. Even though it is a headache it needs to be addressed. BEFORE attempting to remove the child. It could be a simple process or a long drawn out one. I am not being mean I am being honest. If you can't handle honesty I suggest you grow up a bit and not expect others to create a sugar coated fantasy for you., I would rather warn these people than say sure take the child and have them both end up convicted child kidnappers.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do it the legal way. If he truly abandoned the child, he stands little or no chance of successfully making trouble, but only if you follow all Kenyan laws. None of us are really experts on it, so please see an attorney there to see what you need to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread moved to Africa: Sub-Saharan, from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports- As this is Country Specific. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more specific advice, as custody laws vary~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

hello vjers,

I have my k1 interview coming up soon. My daughter, a minor will be going with me.

I have read that I need to obtain official authority from her father to allow me to travel with her or a court order indicating that I am her sole custodian.

In my case, I am her sole custodian since birth. Her fathers name is not indicated on her birth certificate, neither do i have contact with him. Do i still need to obtain court orders indicating that i am the sole custodian,or the blank birth certificate is enough.

Please help.

My wife is from Kenya and she too was the sole custodian of her son but she did need a letter granting her the rights to take her son out of the country with the father's permission. I understand that if you can't get this signed by the father and notorized that you can obtain one from the court that deals with children. If you need more info. I can ask my wife and her sister. They both have done this.

USCIS 5 Months and 18 Days
08/26/2011: Married in Mombasa
10/11/2011: I-130 Mailed
03/30/2012: NOA2 E-mail notification

NVC
04/11/2012: Received NVC Case # & IIN
04/12/2012: AOS bill invoiced and paid
04/14/2012: AOS package mailed
04/16/2012: AOS Receipt Paid
04/22/2012: DS-3032 acceptance e-mail received
04/22/2012: IV bill invoiced; IV bill
04/22/2012: IV fee
04/23/2012: IV fee bill appears PAID
05/11/2012: DS-230 delivered to NVC (Out of State Working-Delayed Mailing by 21 days)
06/04/2012: CASE COMPLETE
06/04/2012: Interview date assigned
Medical/Embassy
06/19/2012: Medical Exam (Completed)
07/27/2012: Interview (Approved)
08/07/2012: Visa in hand
08/09/2012: POE Dallas, Tx
I-751 Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014: Sent ROC to VSC
07/25/2014: I-751 Received by VSC
07/28/2014: NOA Received
07/31/2014: Check for application & biometrics cleared bank

01/20/2015: Permanent Green Card Received

Naturalization

08/17/2015 - N-400 Mailed

08/20/2015 - Check cleared

09/10/2015 - Biometrics Completed

09/14/2015 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

01/19/2016 - Oath Ceremony for Citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

• If you still have time, you can go to the Children’s Court of the High Court of Kenya and get a court order confirming that you are the sole guardian of the child. If you don't have time, a sworn affidavit might work. All the best.

event.png

4poLVbT.jpg4poLm4.png

TNeHqx4.jpgTNeHm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.