16 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I was speaking to someone who is US national and according to that person, a person with Temporary Green Card can apply for his/her parents whilst they are on a visit to US. The only issue is they can not exit US until they get their green card and if they exit they can not enter US until they get their green card and they are free to travel anywhere within US. That person said that he did this for his parents and also it is legal to do so and it worked for him.

I would like the experts to share their thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No it is not true. Only US citizens can file for their parents.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Ask him to prove it to you, show you a USCIS website where the process is specified.,

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Ask him to prove it to you, show you a USCIS website where the process is specified.,

His response is, 'its not the right way of doing it but he has done it and people in his surroundings have done so'.

The onlyt problem with this route is that you can not exit US. You become 'legal' because becuase you have a pending case with the immigration. It takes few years as opposed to 1 year after attaining USC. Also he says his sister's husband was visiting her in US and they filed his papers and now he has a green card which is also new to me.

Peeps your thoughts.

Timeline

He is wrong. There can be no pending case because there is no way of petitioning for parents unless you are a US citizen.

The sister's husband yes, that is possible- it is legal as long as he had no intent of immigrating before he arrived, but something changed after he was here (such as found out the wife was pregnant, lost his job back home etc).

mod penguin.jpg

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/parents/bringing-parents-live-united-states-permanent-residents

To petition for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old.

Green card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to bring parents to live permanently in the United States.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

He is wrong. There can be no pending case because there is no way of petitioning for parents unless you are a US citizen.

The sister's husband yes, that is possible- it is legal as long as he had no intent of immigrating before he arrived, but something changed after he was here (such as found out the wife was pregnant, lost his job back home etc).

Hi,

He is saying it gives an option on I-30 to apply as a resident and also asks for the arrival date of the benficiary to the US.

Hi,

He is saying it gives an option on I-30 to apply as a resident and also asks for the arrival date of the benficiary to the US.

He is mistaken. It is not possible.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The form has many uses and fields relevant to those uses. If your friend is intelligent enough to read the instructions he will quickly find out he is wrong. the instructions all LPR's to file for spouses and unmarried children and that is it. What your friend is suggesting is a violation of immigration ,law

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

His response is, 'its not the right way of doing it but he has done it and people in his surroundings have done so'.

The onlyt problem with this route is that you can not exit US. You become 'legal' because becuase you have a pending case with the immigration. It takes few years as opposed to 1 year after attaining USC. Also he says his sister's husband was visiting her in US and they filed his papers and now he has a green card which is also new to me.

Peeps your thoughts.

Maybe they've stayed in the country as illegal immigrants. It's a bad way.

F2A
Nov-28-2012 - PD
Jul -16-2013 - approved
Aug-07-2013 - NVC received our case
Aug-21-2013 - case number assigned (by phone)
Aug-21-2013 - NVC sent DS-3032/I-864
Aug-26-2013 - received DS-3032/I-864 from NVC
Sen-16-2013 - Pay I-864 Bill

Sen-24-2013 - Return Completed I-864

Oct -23-2013 - received Checklist cover letter from NVC

Oct -31-2013 - DS-260 submitted

Nov-25-2013 - documents at NVC

Dec-04-2013 - received checklist

Dec-17-2013 - phoned NVC. documents haven't been checked yet.

Dec-20-2013 - received checklist

Jan------2014 - sent the originals of documents

Jan-27-2014 - case completed (by phone)

Mar-01-2014 - Interview Letter

Hi Guys,

I was speaking to someone who is US national and according to that person, a person with Temporary Green Card can apply for his/her parents whilst they are on a visit to US. The only issue is they can not exit US until they get their green card and if they exit they can not enter US until they get their green card and they are free to travel anywhere within US. That person said that he did this for his parents and also it is legal to do so and it worked for him.

Thanks in advance.

Here you go again, tell your husband to join you first here in US, you guys got visa in aug and hes still not with you and thinking to bring his parents before he comes to you (WTH):S:S:S sometimes you come up with divorce (Canceling visa) thing nd sometimes with these ####### stuffs, really dont knw whts wrong with you guys :S:S:S:S

Whenever i come to UAE portal to chk something new from ppl if they really need help but i always see your topics asking stupid things

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Please listen to the advice given to you by Queen penguin. You can only apply for the green card for your parents if you are a USC. Green card holder do not have this immigration benefit.

Here you go again, tell your husband to join you first here in US, you guys got visa in aug and hes still not with you and thinking to bring his parents before he comes to you (WTH):S:S:S sometimes you come up with divorce (Canceling visa) thing nd sometimes with these ####### stuffs, really dont knw whts wrong with you guys :S:S:S:S

Whenever i come to UAE portal to chk something new from ppl if they really need help but i always see your topics asking stupid things

Hi,

The puprose of this website is to share thoughts , ask questions/advices etc . I do not want to sound rude but If you are so annoyed by my posts then you should not bother commenting and have you actually read my actual post if not then its my humble request that you read the post first. Nowhere did I mention about bringing anyone's parents or anything. It was just a question to analyse what I have been told by someone I know is true or not.

I hope in future I will get more constructive comment from yourside.

I appreciate everyone for their comments .

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.