mota bhai

Why White People Won't See "Black Movies"

206 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Living Single, Martin, Fresh Prince, Different World, Family Matters, etc. These shows aren't second rate. They rate better than the mess they have on TV now, and they're almost 20 years old.

The Best man Holiday has out sold Thor 2. From what I've been told, it's a good movie. Taking the wife to go see it after she watches the first one.

Living single and Martin were second rate.

I did not like any of those shows. Fresh Prince was okay.

I would like to see something better made than Best man Holiday. My judgement is from the preview, but no thanks. I seem to remember a romance scene with a bear skin rug and a roaring fire. Too cheesy.

Thor is way ahead of Best Man Holiday, by week and by total gross. http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

But if you see the budget, Best Man is doing well for their tiny tiny budget. Good for them.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well gee let me paraphrase the first paragraph. "By black movies we don't mean movies with black people that white people see" .. If a movie is advertised on its entertainment value guess what.. skin/race does not seem to be a nail in the coffin when judging success. Try to push a movie on a stereotype or specific culture and wave bye-bye to a large part of your audience. I do not find stereotypical humor funny.. I am not going to a movie that pushes that angle.

Also.. I (a male) do not go to romantic movies unless I am forced to by a female... So if the complaint is on black romantic movies, blame the women.

If the movies are good and cover more than stereotypical race humor it can succeed.. "Think like a man" came out last year, had a mostly black cast, it was a well done romantic comedy that had broad appeal and did very well in the box office... so I have to call BS.

I would also ask about this film: why did this movie make over 95% of its money in the US and Canada? The average these days is about 50% ... Why did the rest of the world snub this movie?

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Living single and Martin were second rate.

Martin: Reflecting the rising popularity of the Fox network throughout the 1990s, Martin was one of the network's highest-rated shows during the sitcom's five-season run.

Living Single: Throughout its run, Living Single became one of the most popular African-American sitcoms of its era, ranking among the top five in African-American ratings in all five seasons.

Just saying bro...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Undercover Brother and Barbershop are two of the top movies of all time, in my book.

I did not find these funny.. But then I am not their target audience.. The movie "Boys of Provo" I found hysterical.. About a boy band comprised of Mormons trying to make it big with lots of Utah and Mormon humor.. I am guessing most people east of Mississippi have not seen the movie. I won't write an article with a negative spin on the subject judging those people.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

I did not like any of those shows. Fresh Prince was okay.

I would like to see something better made than Best man Holiday. My judgement is from the preview, but no thanks. I seem to remember a romance scene with a bear skin rug and a roaring fire. Too cheesy.

Thor is way ahead of Best Man Holiday, by week and by total gross. http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

But if you see the budget, Best Man is doing well for their tiny tiny budget. Good for them.

http://www.eurweb.com/2013/11/best-man-holiday-already-exceeding-expectations-at-box-office/

This is what I was talking about.

Steve Mcqueen has brought this up before as to why there aren't better quality black movies. As of this writing, he hasn't gotten an answer yet.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Martin: Reflecting the rising popularity of the Fox network throughout the 1990s, Martin was one of the network's highest-rated shows during the sitcom's five-season run.

Living Single: Throughout its run, Living Single became one of the most popular African-American sitcoms of its era, ranking among the top five in African-American ratings in all five seasons.

Just saying bro...

Maybe. But they felt like second rate to me. Not because they were black but probably because they were more edgy. Same with married with children. That doesn't mean I didn't watch all three because I did. And I don't think Martin Lawrence is funny. Which is odd because usually I only like black comedians.

Filed: Timeline

I did not find these funny..

You're insane.

Maybe. But they felt like second rate to me. Not because they were black but probably because they were more edgy. Same with married with children. That doesn't mean I didn't watch all three because I did. And I don't think Martin Lawrence is funny. Which is odd because usually I only like black comedians.

Martin is better when he's not being funny, like in Bad Boys.

Timeline

I did not find these funny.. But then I am not their target audience.. The movie "Boys of Provo" I found hysterical.. About a boy band comprised of Mormons trying to make it big with lots of Utah and Mormon humor.. I am guessing most people east of Mississippi have not seen the movie. I won't write an article with a negative spin on the subject judging those people.

What about leprechaun in the hood?

Martin is better when he's not being funny, like in Bad Boys.

I liked those too. I apparently have a man crush on will smith because I like pretty much everything he's in. Not going to watch "After Earth" as it will likely ruin everything for me.

I don't understand anything about this thread. What are 'black' movies? Everything about this thread is weird, it's like I stepped into a parallel universe where people are all talking the same language but things make no sense at all.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline

I don't understand anything about this thread. What are 'black' movies? Everything about this thread is weird, it's like I stepped into a parallel universe where people are all talking the same language but things make no sense at all.

Go back to sipping your cup of tea and play polo or hunt endangered tigers or tamper your cricket ball or whateverthefuckitisyoupeopledo.

Edited by mota bhai