brit_la

Maintaining green card when outside the states

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Quick background:

My husband is the USC and I'm from the UK. I had moved over there on a fiancee visa, got my temporary green card, then conditions removed at the start of this year, so I now have a 10 year green card. However he got offered a great job in the UK and we moved back over here 6 months ago. He is on a work sponsored visa here.

Now we are going back to visit for thanksgiving and I am a bit worried about what to say at the POE. Our move here isn't permanent, but we don't really know where we are going to end up and how long his job will for. I know I would technically be ok to have been out this long, but I know they won't see it this way, especially as we will be entering together and they will see his work visa.

I have had my residency for over 3 years now and should have applied for citizenship, or I should have applied for a travel permit in hindsight. It just all happened so quickly(less than two months from him getting job to moving), that I didn't really think much about my green card.

Any suggestions as to what I should say to immigration? I don't want to lie to them, but if I can hold onto my residency for a bit longer, I might be able to sort things out properly in the next few months.

I know I could technically just reapply for residency if and when we move back, but would my 3 year residency countdown start again before I could apply for citizenship?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Quick background:

My husband is the USC and I'm from the UK. I had moved over there on a fiancee visa, got my temporary green card, then conditions removed at the start of this year, so I now have a 10 year green card. However he got offered a great job in the UK and we moved back over here 6 months ago. He is on a work sponsored visa here.

Now we are going back to visit for thanksgiving and I am a bit worried about what to say at the POE. Our move here isn't permanent, but we don't really know where we are going to end up and how long his job will for. I know I would technically be ok to have been out this long, but I know they won't see it this way, especially as we will be entering together and they will see his work visa.

I have had my residency for over 3 years now and should have applied for citizenship, or I should have applied for a travel permit in hindsight. It just all happened so quickly(less than two months from him getting job to moving), that I didn't really think much about my green card.

Any suggestions as to what I should say to immigration? I don't want to lie to them, but if I can hold onto my residency for a bit longer, I might be able to sort things out properly in the next few months.

I know I could technically just reapply for residency if and when we move back, but would my 3 year residency countdown start again before I could apply for citizenship?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

You need to maintain your LPR status as "just re-applying for residency" is a bit more complicated as you would have to re-apply for the spousal visa all over again. Do you both still have ties to the US as this was temporary? Come back to the US and plan to stay and apply for US citizenship if that is what you want and then you can join your husband in the UK without worrying about your LPR status.

You need to have a look here to see what is required to maintain your LPR status and to be eligible for USC. You worked hard to get the GC, so you might want to keep it rather than doing something that causes you to loose your LPR status.

Good Luck,

Dave

Ever considered talking to someone at the US embassy in the UK? Maybe they can give you some tips regarding your LPR. I don't know if they have USCIS center in the UK, maybe try there too (not sure if there's a difference between a US embassy and an overseas USCIS service center). Good luck!

ROC Journey:

4/24/13 - Submitted I-751 application

4/26/13 - I-751 officially filed

6/11/13 - Biometrics done

8/14/13 - Rec'd RFE

9/21/13 - Submitted RFE response

9/23/13 - RFE response rec'd at VSC

(about 2 months later)

11/21/13 - Service request via Tier 1 submitted

12/11/13 - Response to service request rec'd - vague info about processing times

12/12/13 - Service request via Tier 2 submitted

12/10/13 - APPROVED!!! (letter rec'd 12/14/13)

12/16/13 - 2nd Service request response rec'd

12/17/13 - Card production email/text rec'd (online case updated)!

12/24/13 - Notification rec'd via email regarding card mailed on 12/23/13 (online case updated as well)

12/26/13 - 10-yr card rec'd!

One thing I have learned on this journey:

There is no such thing as an "overkill" evidence package. Submit anything and everything you can. Who knows what will prevent you from getting an RFE.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You need to maintain your LPR status as "just re-applying for residency" is a bit more complicated as you would have to re-apply for the spousal visa all over again. Do you both still have ties to the US as this was temporary? Come back to the US and plan to stay and apply for US citizenship if that is what you want and then you can join your husband in the UK without worrying about your LPR status.

You need to have a look here to see what is required to maintain your LPR status and to be eligible for USC. You worked hard to get the GC, so you might want to keep it rather than doing something that causes you to loose your LPR status.

Good Luck,

Dave

Ahhh, I would have to do the spouse visa again? Ugh. Thanks for your advice, appreciate it.

As for this trip, what should I be saying to immigration? The truth?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ahhh, I would have to do the spouse visa again? Ugh. Thanks for your advice, appreciate it.

As for this trip, what should I be saying to immigration? The truth?

Always ALWAYS tell the truth. If you don't it will eventually come back to bite you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.