• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

No, he wasn't.

Were you there?

Why yes, since you asked, I was there! :rolleyes:

6 full minutes before you posted your question, I answered why I felt the way I do.

You don't have to agree, but why you seem out to pull apart a belief of mine that's based purely on faith is anyone's guess. :whistle:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
oh great, I love this part! :D

Here honey, here's some popcorn...and a couple pepsi's. Looks to be an interesting day.

My thoughts: Jesus could very well have been married. The bible was interpreted by man...therefore it could contain fallible errors, and could very well be influenced by the person who translated it from the original text (hebrew and/or greek). So there...that's my $1.58 on the issue :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

No, he wasn't.

How do you know? What makes you sure that he wasn't?

My faith makes me sure. :yes:

Your faith makes ou sure??? What kind of answer is that??? You have faith in god (though I don't have faith in such a being... I can still understand that) but how can your faith make you sure he was not married? Do you claim to know every detail of his life? Only if you could do that would it be possible to state that you know he was not married. Just remember that the Bible as you know it is incomplete and translated over and over again; in many cases losing the original meaning. I have even heard that the Dead Sea Scrolls refer to god as She not He.

So what makes you so sure??

Once again for the cheap seats in the back, my faith makes me sure.

faith Audio pronunciation of "faith" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fth)

n.

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief. See Synonyms at trust.

You asked a question, I gave you *my* answer. Dunno why you can't accept that.

Does the bible mention anything about him being married or not?

I guess I can google, I was just wondering about this.

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

Faith gives you something to hold on to... fine... but how can you your faith make you sure he was not married??? There is much of his life that remains a mystery... but your faith makes you claim that mystery regardless you know whats what? Hmmmmmm

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

I find myself wondering if the "he must be single, I just know it" crowd are related in any way to the rabid fans who are considering suing Clay Aiken because he may be gay and that doesn't fit with the image the have, and want to have, of him.

*waits for the flames, as it's a bit chilly this morning*

Disclaimer: I am a smart-a55. Anything I say can and will be used against you in whatever forum I so choose. My posts are based on my own perspective, and should not be taken as anything other than my own opinion. Any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is coincidental. Minimum system requirements are a human brain, version 1.0. Suggested system requirements are a human brain version 1.0 with a sense of humor and a logical thought processor above 1.0 beta. Should not be used by children. Hazardous when wet.

B3 5C 0C E2 91 8B 91 F8 7A 2C 7E E4 17 79 FA D6

Faith gives you something to hold on to... fine... but how can you your faith make you sure he was not married??? There is much of his life that remains a mystery... but your faith makes you claim that mystery regardless you know whats what? Hmmmmmm

Short answer: yes!

I'm sorry if that perplexes you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The original author of the article appears to also have faith. His faith tells him something different than your faith does. Without getting into major semantics or doctrinal issues, I think what's being asked of you LisaD, is not to keep repeating that your faith gives you answers, but HOW it gives you answers.

Just like the original author gave reasons for his belief (supported by faith), people are asking you how you can be sure. "Faith" in the way you describe it seems "blind" (i.e. someone told me and I believe, end of story). The Bible tells Christians to continually test their faith...that doesn't just mean to test whether you have it, it also means to test whether or not you can speak to it. ;)

I don't think it's a particularly unreasonable question either. When one considers that it's known that there are Bible books that were written but removed from the canon, when one considers that there's been at least 2 languages involved and 2000 years of imperfect humans rewriting the text (assuming that no one had it deliberately changed for political reasons), even just basic error could occur.

It's highly implausible you were there and witnessed Jesus' time on earth; it's also highly implausible that you speak/read Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek (the original languages of the scriptures). So you're getting the building blocks of your faith from somewhere.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

For years I was indoctrinated with the "God says it, that settles it, whether you believe it or not" mentality. I was told NOT to question anything, that to do so was akin to heresy. This from the Southern Baptist crowd. I'm not judging anyone for what they believe in. There were so many things I wanted to ask, but was afraid to for fear of eternal damnation. To question the teachings of God would surely send me straight to the pit of Hades. Just because it isn't mentioned in the bible about Jesus' personal life doesn't mean he didn't have one. None of us were there...that was over 2000 years ago!

Believe how you want...I speak from personal experience...which wasn't pleasant to be sure. I shall not stand in judgment of anyone and their beliefs. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
The original author of the article appears to also have faith. His faith tells him something different than your faith does. Without getting into major semantics or doctrinal issues, I think what's being asked of you LisaD, is not to keep repeating that your faith gives you answers, but HOW it gives you answers.

Just like the original author gave reasons for his belief (supported by faith), people are asking you how you can be sure. "Faith" in the way you describe it seems "blind" (i.e. someone told me and I believe, end of story). The Bible tells Christians to continually test their faith...that doesn't just mean to test whether you have it, it also means to test whether or not you can speak to it. ;)

I don't think it's a particularly unreasonable question either. When one considers that it's known that there are Bible books that were written but removed from the canon, when one considers that there's been at least 2 languages involved and 2000 years of imperfect humans rewriting the text (assuming that no one had it deliberately changed for political reasons), even just basic error could occur.

It's highly implausible you were there and witnessed Jesus' time on earth; it's also highly implausible that you speak/read Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek (the original languages of the scriptures). So you're getting the building blocks of your faith from somewhere.

s_agree.gif

Edited by flipside

For years I was indoctrinated with the "God says it, that settles it, whether you believe it or not" mentality. I was told NOT to question anything, that to do so was akin to heresy. This from the Southern Baptist crowd. I'm not judging anyone for what they believe in. There were so many things I wanted to ask, but was afraid to for fear of eternal damnation. To question the teachings of God would surely send me straight to the pit of Hades. Just because it isn't mentioned in the bible about Jesus' personal life doesn't mean he didn't have one. None of us were there...that was over 2000 years ago!

Believe how you want...I speak from personal experience...which wasn't pleasant to be sure. I shall not stand in judgment of anyone and their beliefs. :)

I think questioning is a vital component of faith. A faith that has survived the questions is much stronger than one unquestioned.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

historically, not to be married at his age was seen at abnormal..i think he was married and had children, and know that he had siblings..per Bible..James was one

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835