Udella&Wiz

<Complaint thread>Has the shutdown affected you now that you live in the US?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to say that the shutdown blows.

I am being partially furloughed so that I am working a 1/2 day and filling in the rest with MY vacation time. My company has multiple IT contracts with the government and even though I don't work on one of those. not all my daily work is considered critical.

Contracts don't get funded, our company doesn;t have the $$$ to pay people very quickly - and we're not a small company either.

I would like to thank the US government for using up my vacation time - I have 7 days accrued so I can last 14 half days until. Then I won;t ahve any left so I can do things like say...visit my family...you know, important stuff like that.

/end rant

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hopefully it will all be for the better and someday our kids won't be giving all their money to the governments massive debt. Unfortunately I think everyone will cave and raise the ceiling and we will continue to spiral to an unknown abyss. Only insurance in today's world is gun ownership.

Timeline

I just want to say that the shutdown blows.

I am being partially furloughed so that I am working a 1/2 day and filling in the rest with MY vacation time. My company has multiple IT contracts with the government and even though I don't work on one of those. not all my daily work is considered critical.

Contracts don't get funded, our company doesn;t have the $$$ to pay people very quickly - and we're not a small company either.

I would like to thank the US government for using up my vacation time - I have 7 days accrued so I can last 14 half days until. Then I won;t ahve any left so I can do things like say...visit my family...you know, important stuff like that.

/end rant

Ouch I am sorry to hear that Udella&Wiz. Hang in there and hopefully it will be resolved soon!

The only thing so far that might affect me is the lack of new SSN issuance for our upcoming baby - without an SSN, no passport, without a passport, harder to get Canadian citizenship. Also worried about adding baby to health insurance without an SSN. Right now it's not a big deal since baby isn't here yet so hopefully it won't become one. Other than that, no impact on my daily life so far....

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Ya VeeNDee, they are not ding anything with SSN's atm..which is going to suck. i want to fill out her citizenship papers asap and get her passport but it looks like that won't happen. :(

Udella i'm so sorry, that totally sucks. Hopefully these "children" in office can stop fighting in the sandbox and get their acts together. It's totally ridiculous.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The USA system is set up to fail!! Neither party wants the other party to do well--and benefit from it! No consequences for the politicians as majority are very wealthy and still getting paid!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

One of the most shameful things the shutdown has affected is in regards to the military. Before the shutdown, if (God forbid) your loved one was KIA while deployed, within 24 to 36 hours, a death "benefit" of $100,000.00 was wired to the family to help cover immediate expenses, this includes the cost of going to Dover to witness the return of their loved ones in flag-draped coffins.

Over this past weekend, 5 US Service members were KIA in Afghanistan and according to various news reports, that money was not and has not been paid to their families. Nor is it scheduled to.

Shameful.

Just found out hubs won't be getting paid until they sort everything out, but he still has to work because of course, planes are still flying here, there, and everywhere.

I think stopping all flights would delay people and gov't officials enough to get their heads out of their butts... too bad that won't happen.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Just found out hubs won't be getting paid until they sort everything out, but he still has to work because of course, planes are still flying here, there, and everywhere.

I think stopping all flights would delay people and gov't officials enough to get their heads out of their butts... too bad that won't happen.

that is bullsh*t

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

People here at the Embassies are still working and I believe not getting paid...I believe they will when the govt is back in business. The govt does not do what is in the best interest of the people, they do what is best for them. Pretty much been that way for centuries. Always the wealthy in power, just do enough to keep the middle class and lower happy so they don't revolt!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to get my SSN before getting married... but that won't happen : /

K1 Journey AOS Journey

I-129f sent - 2013/02/27 I-485 sent - 2013/12/17

NOA1 - 2013/03/05 NOA- 2013/12/24

NOA2 -2013/07/09 (126 days (4 months and 4 days) from NoA1) Biometrics- 2014/01/22 at Metairie, LA

Packet 3 mailed - 2013/08/02 NOA - Approved!!! 2014/08/28

Packet 4 received - 2013/08/12

Interview scheduled -2013/09/11

POE - 2013/09/20 (By car at Highgate/Vermont)

Timeline

I wanted to get my SSN before getting married... but that won't happen : /

well you'd only get it in your maiden name and have to change it later, save yourself the trip lol. I can only imagine the headaches with the SAVE database right now anyway. that may affect more than just the SSN, i wonder about driver's licence etc.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, SSA issued a notice they are NOT issuing new SSNs or taking new applications during the shutdown.

Sorry.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

well you'd only get it in your maiden name and have to change it later, save yourself the trip lol. I can only imagine the headaches with the SAVE database right now anyway. that may affect more than just the SSN, i wonder about driver's licence etc.

That's assuming the name change, it is getting more and more common to keep your own name. It really helps with facebook... ha ha

Timeline

That's assuming the name change, it is getting more and more common to keep your own name. It really helps with facebook... ha ha

ya i guess i'm old fashioned in that i wanted my husbands name, i didn't see the point in keeping my old name since i was starting off fresh here as well. Only issue i've had is now my damn name is so long! lol its liek 23 letters now!

HWDWm6.png

I took my husband's name because my father is a jerk. :D I was even happier about taking his name after my father decided to not come to the wedding because my mother was officiating. /wipes hands

I cannot recall in Canada when the government has ever shut down. They've called elections and stuff like that, but they all still work.

The bad part about not being paid but getting back pay later, is the back pay puts them into a higher tax bracket meaning they'll be taxed significantly more while still only making the same wage.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.