BaBamSam

Self-Sponsoring Success

19 posts in this topic

Well I'll be reporting back next week after my interview on the same basis . Mind you it won't be so easy as the interview will be about two weeks earlier than I'd have liked for the following reason.

By way of another er, data point I will have something in the region of $35K in cash and house equity assets of c.$300K which won't reach me until mid-October hence my current nerves. I'm half expecting them to put me on hold until the house sale completes.

So we'll see. In theory I meet the requirements as per the embassy website but we'll see how it pans and will report back.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would be very very surprised if you had an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yehhhaaa- I didn't.

Quick summary. My partner has only just graduated so I didn't think there would be a convincing affidavit and therefore planned to self sponsor based on a primary asset of house equity and the secondary (if needed) of cash in da bank.

We did complete an I-134 as I didn't want a hold up during the first stage of the interview process but also compiled a document stating my assets .

In the case of the house I had the following documents

1) Letter from estate agent confirming valuation and sale price

2) Letter from estate agent confirming my acceptance of an offer to buy the house

3) A simple but clear breakdown of house value , loans secured on it and the balance which would be owing to me on completion.

4) Bank and mortgage statements confirming the loans

5) Document from land registry confirming ownership and loans secured on property

In the case of the bank account I had a print out from the bank done yesterday - not exactly the high level of detail they ask for but clear enough. I also in the covering letter confirmed the source of recent large deposits (sale of car and loan from mother). I also confirmed how I would be transferring the money (via XE.com)

So how did it go ?

At the document collection stage when asked for the affidavit I said I had one but wanted to self sponsor. Fine - what documents do you have to support this ? I first offered the bank statement which he seemed happy to take. I then offered the house details and as that was the bigger sum that's actually all he kept. He didn't take my covering letter and he didn't take the bank details. If I'm honest I'm not sure how the consular officer worked the figures out in the end :-)

Either way - in the second interview it was barely mentioned so what do I think ?

1) A house sold (even if STC) with a chunk of equity headed your way is enough to make them comfortable

2) That on it's own for me seems to have been enough - the bank cash was barely looked at

3) I got the *very* distinct impression that as long as they felt you'd survive 90 days you're good to go. The CO did mention the need for tighter requirements at AOS but it was very much in passing.

4) No-one blinked at self sponsoring - they seem very comfortable and used to it. Just make sure you make it easy for them to assess.

Now what about numbers ? I could demonstrate nearly £200K in equity heading my way and I think that made any other discussion superfluous . In the bank I had £20K but I don't think that was even looked at.

Difficult to offer advice as to minimums - I suspect they look at the whole "package" and take a view but I think I might have done it on the bank alone. It might be because we are an older couple too (50's) so I'm offering up my experience for what's it worth rather than gospel.

Full review later under the consulate review section.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

3) I got the *very* distinct impression that as long as they felt you'd survive 90 days you're good to go. The CO did mention the need for tighter requirements at AOS but it was very much in passing.

Me too.

Mine was the other way around, he looked at my Bank Statement and ignored the rest.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.