DSDK

plane tickets once visa granted

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are still waiting for our interview to be scheduled, but have been looking at plane tickets to prepare and a question has come up. A one way ticket costs $3500, but a round trip ticket costs about $890. Is there any reason why buying a round trip ticket and not planning on using the return ticket would be a bad thing? Would have a return ticket raise flags with immigration once he arrives? Anyone else ever have a issue with this?

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

2/28/13 text case was received

Planning a New Years Eve Wedding! Fingers crossed time lines stay about the same!!! :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling During US Immigration; topic is applicable to multiple visa types and involves travel.***

**Moderator hat off**

If a round trip ticket is cheaper, you can purchase it without any issue. Just cancel the return portion of the ticket after arriving in the US.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

We are thinking of the same idea too. Might get a round trip than one way to save some $...Im still waiting for my case number so I can do my medical and interview but checking on flight schedule...hope it won't have a problem if we purchase a round trip.

Timeline

Ticket hunting is hard on the mind. I went through most all entry points and transits. I started with the one way to find the cheapest and then tried to match up with a decent RT. To that extent I have found a $700 OW from Kiev and a $1200 RT going through Frankfort to LA.

Timeline

Ticket hunting is hard on the mind. I went through most all entry points and transits. I started with the one way to find the cheapest and then tried to match up with a decent RT. To that extent I have found a $700 OW from Kiev and a $1200 RT going through Frankfort to LA.

If possible I would like him to enter in Houston since it is where I live. I have done searches and found tickets RT from Kiev to IAH for $820, the OW was $3500. My flights have usually been between 800-1200 from Houston to Kiev and I'm good with anything in or around that range. What site/search did you find the 700 on?

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

Planning a New Years Eve Wedding! Fingers crossed time lines stay about the same!!! :)

Timeline

Try Kayak, skyscanner and onetravel.com for starters as they can sometimes differ plus onetravel allows for checking multiple days making the search easier and Kayak allows for comparing other air sites. Kiev to Houston is under/around $1000 to Houston OW on Oct 1st (for example). The problem then is that many of the layovers require a transit visa. Aeroflot has good deals lately around $1000 but he would require a transit visa for Russia as they stop in Moscow. A Frankfort (if under xx hours) or Turkey stopover would not need one. Deals are usually better if booked a month in advance of course.

And, as said, you can also just buy a RT and cancel the return later.

I also live in houston and always flown klm they have the fastest flights from kiev with a 2 hour transfer in amsterdam and they have been the cheapest and the food not so bad. when sveta flew she enjoyed the flight since her first. btw what city in ukraine coming from? I have heard if ticket is bought in ukraine the fee is lower as not have the boat load of taxes in usa

Edited by Sveta & Ron

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are still waiting for our interview to be scheduled, but have been looking at plane tickets to prepare and a question has come up. A one way ticket costs $3500, but a round trip ticket costs about $890. Is there any reason why buying a round trip ticket and not planning on using the return ticket would be a bad thing? Would have a return ticket raise flags with immigration once he arrives? Anyone else ever have a issue with this?

Buy what is cheapest. Make SURE the ticket you do NOT use is for the "return" trip to Kiev (or wherever) I know one person that bought a RT NYC to Kiev and BACK and planned for his fiancee to use the "return to NYC" portion. when she did not use the NYC to Kiev ticket they cancelled the return flight and they had to buy a new ticket. Some online sites will not sell tickets originationg outside the USA.

If you can get a cheaper ticket Kiev to NYC and BACK to Kiev...then go for it and do not use the return ticket

CBP will not care when she arrives that she has a RT ticket. Not an issue.

People do it all the time,

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

SOME but not all EU airports require transit visas for Ukrainians and ALL EU airports require it if you will make more than ONE stop in EU countries. For example when we returned from Ukraine this summer we stopped in Vienna and Geneva. IF Alla were not a US citizen she would have needed transit visa. Just be careful. Switzerland is always safe, no passports needed to enter, only to leave to the US but you have that covered with the visa.

Consider Kiev to JFK non-stop and then a separate ticket on SW airlines for JFK to LA

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I opted for the round trip ticket because it was half the price of a one way ticket. My new wife came on a K-1 and went from Kiev to Amsterdam to Seattle with no problems. We are going to cancel her return flight for a credit to use later when she goes back to assist her daughter in coming later on a K-2. Nobody questioned her about a round trip ticket. They were only concerned about her visa and her sealed fiancee' package and they questioned her about me.

btw... her ticket was $1800 and that was for July... My ticket to visit her last November was $1200... Prices should be better now that summer is over....

Good Luck smile.png

Timeline

I also live in houston and always flown klm they have the fastest flights from kiev with a 2 hour transfer in amsterdam and they have been the cheapest and the food not so bad. when sveta flew she enjoyed the flight since her first. btw what city in ukraine coming from? I have heard if ticket is bought in ukraine the fee is lower as not have the boat load of taxes in usa

Awesome I will tell him that avoiding the taxes and making the proce lower is awesome... He is from Shostka.

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.