irma24

Chicago, IL - N-400 - Naturalization Experiences

50 posts in this topic

I am all ready to go for my interview tomorrow. I will definitely share my experience.

I-485 Adjustment of Status

10/21/2000 - Entry as B2 visa, changed status to F1

07/25/2005 - Mom filed F2B

03/01/2007 - Filed AOS to Permanent Resident under 245(i) by virtue of Section 203(h)(3) of the Child Status Protection Act of 2001; Public Law 107-208 (CSPA). Automatic Conversion of F2B petition and Retention of Priority date of an F4 petition as derivative beneficiary of dad filed in 1982 by his sister (hereinafter referred to as the "Automatic Conversion and Retention" clause of the CSPA). With the help of a lawyer from Los Angeles - who sent lots of briefs and case laws previously cited by the Board of Immigration Appeals, and Federal Courts to support our arguments.

03/04/2007 - Notice of Action for AOS Received

03/31/2007 - Biometrics Appointment

06/--/2007 - Interviewed in Chicago, District Adjudicator unable to approve AOS outright as more time was needed to review our case arguments, will notify us of the decision.

08/03/2007 - Decision on AOS - "DENIED" on the basis that F2B petition filed by mom was not current. USCIS misconstrued the basis for eligibility for AOS. (Copy of F2B petition mom filed only submitted as evidence that I sought to acquire status as a permanent resident within one year of the availability of the visa (F4 visa current on 12/2004), a requirement for seeking relief under CSPA and INA 203(h)(3))

08/28/2007 - Filed Request for Reconsideration of Decision on Adjustment of Status Application Based on Service (USCIS) Error, that filing for AOS eligibility was based on dad's 1982 petition, that CIS made an error in determining eligibility. (Motion to Reconsider on Form I-290B was filed without a fee, lawyer argued due to the fact that basis for AOS was erred by the Service)

01/24/2008 - Motion to Reconsider/Appeal Rejected by the USCIS District Adjudicator in Chicago due to non-payment of fee.

02/15/2008 - Re-submitted Motion to Reconsider Denial of AOS to Permanent Resident on Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), Washington, DC.

02/19/2008 - USCIS received re-filed Motion to Reconsider with a fee of $585. Motion to Reconsider was later transferred to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU) in Chicago, IL.

07/28/2008 - Motion to Reconsider Denial of Adjustment on Form I-290B was reconsidered. USCIS Director in Chicago in its own motion submitted a Motion to Reopen, to reopen the case in its entirety. USCIS Director requested for 2nd interview and biometrics (after I sent tons of inquiries to the US Senators Barack Obama and Richard Durbin representing Illinois)

08/02/2008 - 2nd Biometrics Appointment

08/18/2008 - Dad filed another F2B petition requesting F2B conversion from F4 under CSPA and retention of his priority date of 1982. (CSPA decisions and case laws with BIA, Federal Courts and Court of Appeals for the 5th and 9th Circuits do not require that petitioners on later filed F2B petitions be the same as the beneficiary of the original petition, in my case dad was the beneficiary of an F4, but USCIS stance on conversion is that it does not apply to other immigration petitions except F2A and it should not be considered automatic in nature, therefore filing is necessary). A new F2B petition to the derivative beneficiary of the original petition would not have been necessary as afforded by the Act, but the USCIS does not conform to its automatic conversion clause as was on the Act.

09/05/2008 - Email Notice on Adjustment of Status "APPROVAL." (without 2nd interview as originally requested on CIS letter when decided to reopen the case). {Approved AOS based on a hard fought CSPA Automatic Conversion of my F4 derivative status to F2B and Retention of dad's Priority Date of 1982 (therefore making the F2B petition current having retained dad's PD). Law that the government decided to ignore for more than a decade now since the Act was enacted in 2001 signed by President Bush. (The lawyer who represented my case before the District Office Director in Chicago was from the same law firm in Los Angeles who sued the government, in a class action, due to its restrictive interpretation of CSPA denying benefits to those who are otherwise beneficiary of the law, those children of intending immigrants who aged out due to no fault of their own. The law firm was successful in overturning Federal Court ruling in Los Angeles when it appealed the class action to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, En Banc decision.) The government then appealed the decision En Banc of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (which basically entitled "aged outs", or those derivative beneficiariess of any family based, employment based, diversity visa categories, who turned over 21 yrs of age, to join their parents upon receiving permanent residency status) to the Supreme Court, conjoined Federal Courts decisions out of the 2nd and 5th Circuit Courts of Appeals. PENDING before the Supreme Court, anticipating decision or ruling in 2014.}

09/10/2008 - Received Green Card

N-400 Application for Naturalization

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

06/08/2013 - Sent Form N-400 (90-day rule)

06/10/2013 - Priority Date

06/10/2013 - Check Cashed

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

08/05/2013 - In line for Interview

08/12/2013 - Email Notice N-400 scheduled for Interview

08/19/2013 - Interview Letter - received

09/17/2013 - Interview @ 0930am @ 101 West Congress Parkway, 2nd Floor Citizenship Office, Chicago, IL -- APPROVED!!!

09/18/2013 - Oath Letter - mailed from Chicago USCIS Office

09/19/2013 - Oath Letter - mailed from the National Benefits Center

09/20/2013 - Oath Letter - from Chicago USCIS Office received

09/21/2013 - Oath Letter - from the National Benefits Center received

2 Oath Ceremony Appointment Letters

09/27/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi Jay2Pnoy,

I'm also ready for my Interview on Thursday and I will definitely share my experience too.

I will pray for you and good luck!

My sister is also having an interview at the same time @ 9:30am tomorrow, we are going together.

Thank you. Good luck to you as well.

03/01/2007 - Filed AOS to Permanent Resident under 245(i) by virtue of Section 203(h)(3) of the Child Status Protection Act of 2001; Public Law 107-208 (CSPA). Automatic Conversion of F2B petition and Retention of Priority date of an F4 petition as derivative beneficiary of dad filed in 1982 by his sister (hereinafter referred to as the "Automatic Conversion and Retention" clause of the CSPA). With the help of a lawyer from Los Angeles - who sent lots of briefs and case laws previously cited by the Board of Immigration Appeals, and Federal Courts to support our arguments.

06/--/2007 - Interviewed in Chicago, District Adjudicator unable to approve AOS outright as more time was needed to review our case arguments, will notify us of the decision.

08/03/2007 - Decision on AOS - "DENIED" on the basis that F2B petition filed by mom was not current. USCIS misconstrued the basis for eligibility for AOS. (Copy of F2B petition mom filed only submitted as evidence that I sought to acquire status as a permanent resident within one year of the availability of the visa (F4 visa current on 12/2004), a requirement for seeking relief under CSPA and INA 203(h)(3))

08/28/2007 - Filed Request for Reconsideration of Decision on Adjustment of Status Application Based on Service (USCIS) Error, that filing for AOS eligibility was based on dad's 1982 petition, that CIS made an error in determining eligibility. (Motion to Reconsider on Form I-290B was filed without a fee, lawyer argued due to the fact that basis for AOS was erred by the Service)

01/24/2008 - Motion to Reconsider/Appeal Rejected by the USCIS District Adjudicator in Chicago due to non-payment of fee.

02/15/2008 - Re-submitted Motion to Reconsider Denial of AOS to Permanent Resident on Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), Washington, DC.

02/19/2008 - USCIS received re-filed Motion to Reconsider with a fee of $585. Motion to Reconsider was later transferred to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU) in Chicago, IL.

07/28/2008 - Motion to Reconsider Denial of Adjustment on Form I-290B was reconsidered. USCIS Director in Chicago in its own motion submitted a Motion to Reopen, to reopen the case in its entirety. USCIS Director requested for 2nd interview and biometrics (after I sent tons of inquiries to the US Senators Barack Obama and Richard Durbin representing Illinois)

08/18/2008 - Dad filed another F2B petition requesting F2B conversion from F4 under CSPA and retention of his priority date of 1982. (CSPA decisions and case laws with BIA, Federal Courts and Court of Appeals for the 5th and 9th Circuits do not require that petitioners on later filed F2B petitions be the same as the beneficiary of the original petition, in my case dad was the beneficiary of an F4, but USCIS stance on conversion is that it does not apply to other immigration petitions except F2A and it should not be considered automatic in nature, therefore filing is necessary). A new F2B petition to the derivative beneficiary of the original petition would not have been necessary as afforded by the Act, but the USCIS does not conform to its automatic conversion clause as was on the Act.

09/05/2008 - Email Notice on Adjustment of Status "APPROVAL." (without 2nd interview as originally requested on CIS letter when decided to reopen the case). {Approved AOS based on a hard fought CSPA Automatic Conversion of my F4 derivative status to F2B and Retention of dad's Priority Date of 1982 (therefore making the F2B petition current having retained dad's PD). Law that the government decided to ignore for more than a decade now since the Act was enacted in 2001 signed by President Bush. (The lawyer who represented my case before the District Office Director in Chicago was from the same law firm in Los Angeles who sued the government, in a class action, due to its restrictive interpretation of CSPA denying benefits to those who are otherwise beneficiary of the law, those children of intending immigrants who aged out due to no fault of their own. The law firm was successful in overturning Federal Court ruling in Los Angeles when it appealed the class action to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, En Banc decision.) The government then appealed the decision En Banc of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (which basically entitled "aged outs", or those derivative beneficiariess of any family based, employment based, diversity visa categories, who turned over 21 yrs of age, to join their parents upon receiving permanent residency status) to the Supreme Court, conjoined Federal Courts decisions out of the 2nd and 5th Circuit Courts of Appeals. PENDING before the Supreme Court, anticipating decision or ruling in 2014.}

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

09/17/2013 - Interview @ 0930am @ 101 West Congress Parkway, 2nd Floor Citizenship Office, Chicago, IL -- APPROVED!!!

Thank you for your prayers, Irma24!

My sister and I were both approved, although we were interviewed by different officers, they were both nice fellows.

Left home at 7am, traffic was terrible bunch of construction sites on I-94, took us 2 hours to get to Downtown Chicago. We finally arrived at the Federal Building/USCIS District Office in Chicago at 9am for 9:30 appt, passed through the security, then checked in on the 2nd flr citizenship office (which is an overlay, 2nd flr is where adjustment of status interviews occur, citizenship interviews are normally on the 3rd flr). There weren't many people, only about 15 of us, some applicants were marriage based and LIFE adjustment.

We checked in at the reception desk, the gentleman on the desk asked us to go to the lobby to get our fingerprints and photos taken first before he could check us in, fell in line on the lobby waited for about 5 minutes before we were called to the window, the lady called me first, and then the guy called my sister, they took our appt letters as well and stamped the forms, took our photos, left index finger print captured, and then the right index, gave the appt letters back to us to bring to the reception desk on 2nd flr. Then, we headed back to the 2nd flr reception, the guy instructed my sister and I to sit by “Door 1” waiting area until we’re called. I politely asked the guy at the reception about taking oath together if both of us would be approved. He wrote on a piece of paper “Family oath taking form”, asked me to bring to the 3rd flr reception to ask for this form, said he will fill up the form once I get it so that we can have oath together. I left my sister at the Door 1 waiting area, went up to 3rd flr, showed the guard the form I need from the reception, guard asked me to sit on the waiting area coz of the long waiting line for natz interview all for 9:30am. I went back to 2nd flr, told the guy who asked me to get the form that I could not wait due to the long line, he said it’s fine, just whoever gets called in first by the an officer, tell him/her that we want to have oath together and they should be able to do it for us.

We patiently waited on the waiting area, at about 9:45am, my sister was called in by a nice young black fellow - Officer Lee. According to my sister, she was placed under oath and then went straight to the civics/history tests for which she got all 6 of the questions correct, then asked to read “How many Senators are there?”, asked to write “There are one hundred Senators.”, there was not any tough questioning besides a ran down on the info on her application form, did not ask for any supporting documentations whatsoever, not even the tax forms for the last 5 yrs. Officer Lee advised my sister that her app is approved and just wait for the oath letter in the mail within 30 days. Sister told her about our intention to go for oath at the same time, Officer Lee checked my name in the system and told my sister I was assigned to a different lady officer, but she will coordinate with that other officer to schedule our oath together. Her interview went on for about 15 minutes, out of there by 10am.

Sister didn’t remember the rest of the 6, but here are the 4 questions she‘s asked:

1. What is rule of law?

2. What major event happened on Sept 11, 2001, in the US?

3. What ocean is on the west coast of the US?

4. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

There were other applicants who got called in before me, guess they were adjustment applicants and marriage based, there was also a couple who was interviewed separately by the same officer, the guy looked so tensed and you could really tell. Anyways, finally! Officer McHenry (another black fellow) called my name, she introduced herself nicely, sounded personable to me at least, so easily I was able to establish a casual talk with her. We walked in the very long hallways, then we stopped by the big copy machine near the cubicles, asked me to bring out my passports (old and new), ID and green card, she even made a joke about having 4 passports, 3 expired and 1 current. While making copies of the bio and stamped entries and exits on my passports, ID and green card, she asked how I obtained my green card, I said through my Aunt’s petition to my dad in 1982, she said, “Okay, I see.“ I know that she has all my immigration file in her office, could easily look into those and get that info.

We then proceeded to her office which was the last office in the building! I said jokingly “it’s a very long walk and I should take a rest before moving on, she said she’s sorry about it, and she smiled, smiled back at her. Upon reaching her office, she told me to remain standing for the oath, then asked me to sit. I jokingly said to her I couldn’t do what she does, bunch of paper trails and documents to read all day long, then she asked what I do for a living, told her I am a nurse, she said I work as hard as she is, we both laughed. She introduced herself again being Officer McHenry and said that she will institute my naturalization interview. We went straight to the civics/history/govt…. she printed a set of papers from the computer, stapled them together, turned to Page 1. She wrote each of my answer next to the question. Got the first 6 questions correct, so we stopped.

The following are the questions I was asked on the tests:

1. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.

2. What is one right or freedom from the first amendment?

3. During the cold war, what was the main concern of the United States?

4. Who is in charge of the executive branch?

5. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?

6. What is one reason colonists came to America?

Then, the English/writing/reading. She asked to read line #2 on page 2 of the test: “Who is the Father of our Country?”

She then turned to page 3, asked me to write on line #2 “Washington is the Father of our Country.”

After the testing, she said you passed all your tests, now we shall proceed with your application form.

As she’s going down on the form, the first question she asked was if I ever used a different name, and I said no but I would like to amend/rescind the name change on the app since I no longer intend to change my name and keep my name at birth. She crossed out Part 1, Section D. #1 - with a red pen, checked the box NO on name change, wrote a big red pen on that section “NO NAME CHANGE.”

Other questions: date of birth, current address, employer, marital status, kids which I have none. She then asked how many trips abroad I had altogether. She verified the list on the form against the “US VISIT” records she obtained from CBP also including on the documents in the packet. (For every form she pulled out of my file, as much as she tried to hide them, I can actually see what forms they were). Then she wrote on the “travel” page the control numbers on US VISIT.

She went on to General Questions on Part 10A (Additional Questions), asked me numbers 1 through 4, disregarded the rest. Part 10B, only asked questions on number 9, again skipped the rest. Part 10D, GMC. Numbers 15 though 21. At number 16, I mentioned to her that I was cited for minor traffic violations such as speeding tickets and turn violations for which each occurrence did not amount to over $500. She said it’s not important unless I have a DUI or if I have been arrested.

Continue on … she asked if I ever registered for Selective Service, asked for documentation, gave her a copy I printed off the website, also offered for her to see the actual registration card I received in the mail just last month after I called and requested through their customer service number. Then, Part 10 H, Oath requirements, numbers 34 through 39. Lastly, Part 14, Oath of Allegiance. She then asked me to print my full name on Part 14, and to sign Parts 13 and 14 of the form and then sign the front of photos I sent with application, which she said will be affixed to my natz certificate. She took all her stamps and dated all the checklist forms she has to complete my natz app, went back to page 1 of my application, on the right lower portion where it says “Action Block”, she stamped “Approved.” Printed a form for naturalization certificate request where it has my name, A#, DOB, address, height - asked me to verify if all the info was correct. She had me sign that form and then printed another form N-652, Naturalization Interview Results, she checked that I passed the tests and that my application is recommended for approval.

I mentioned to her that my sister has also been approved today and we would like to take an oath at the same time, I told her Officer Lee interviewed my sister, she said she knows about it, Officer Lee already talked to her, she called Officer Lee on the phone, then she took all my immigration files to Officer Lee’s office, told her to schedule us together. She walked me back to the waiting area, told me to wait for an oath letter within 30 days. That concluded my natz interview experience at the Chicago DO. Finally, one step further to becoming a US citizen!

Again, thank you and good luck to you tomorrow!

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Congrats to you both! All the best to you and your sister!

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Congrats to you both! All the best to you and your sister!

Thank you so much. Hope the same for you =)

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

Timeline

Jay2Pnoy,

Congratulation to you and your sister!

Thank you for your very detailed interview experience.

My interview will be on Thursday, September 19.

Thank you.

Jay2Pnoy,

Congratulation to you and your sister!

Thank you for your very detailed interview experience.

My interview will be on Thursday, September 19.

Thank you.

Yeah, that's right on Thursday. Well, all the best of luck. I am sure you too will pass!

Thanks,

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

Timeline

Jay2Pnoy , thank you for your support.

I finished my interview today.

Parking situation: There are few garages walking distance from federal building. I paid 19$ (by credit card) for about 3 hours.

I was allowed to carry water in there.

First on the first flour I was asked for DL and appointment letter to check in. They took my fingers prints and my face picture.

Next on the 3th flour I received a pager and waited to meet with IO. I arrived an hour earlier than scheduled. I got called 30 min after my interview time. Interview lasted about 15 minutes.

I carried bunch of docs as requested but none were asked for. First I was asked to stand up and do verbal oath. IO also asked for my passport, GC, and DL and made a photocopy. Then he started with civics test. IO was kind enough to wait until I figured out the answer. On the beginning my head was empty.

He asked the civic questions:

- Who is the vice president?

- What is the highest court in the U.S.?

- How many amendments does the constitution have?

- What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?

- Who makes federal laws?

Then it was reading (I dont remember) and writing test: Washington is the Father of Our Country.

Next, IO started reviewing the application line by line, asking series of questions from the application itself (address, dob, ever arrested, deported, will you serve the country, etc. yes/no's). At the end he asked me to write my name on the application, sign the pictures which I sent with application, and he gave me a letter notifying that I passed the test. IO informed me that the oath letter will come by mail in couple weeks.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience. IO was very friendly. I was well prepared with every possible documentation but none was requested. With my application (married to US citizen) I sent a lot of supporting documents. In my interview, it seemed like the IO had already gone through my file and only confirmed my answers with me.

IO saw me in the waiting room with my husband kissing me before interview. In the end of Interview he said: "Congratulation and now You can kiss your husband".

Thanks to all on this forum for your support!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

For some reason I found it extremely funny that you had to take the I-94 to go to your citizenship interview... Sorry, just a nerdy joke while I am waiting to be done with this process. Congrats!

Thank you for your prayers, Irma24!

My sister and I were both approved, although we were interviewed by different officers, they were both nice fellows.

Left home at 7am, traffic was terrible bunch of construction sites on I-94, took us 2 hours to get to Downtown Chicago. We finally arrived at the Federal Building/USCIS District Office in Chicago at 9am for 9:30 appt, passed through the security, then checked in on the 2nd flr citizenship office (which is an overlay, 2nd flr is where adjustment of status interviews occur, citizenship interviews are normally on the 3rd flr). There weren't many people, only about 15 of us, some applicants were marriage based and LIFE adjustment.

We checked in at the reception desk, the gentleman on the desk asked us to go to the lobby to get our fingerprints and photos taken first before he could check us in, fell in line on the lobby waited for about 5 minutes before we were called to the window, the lady called me first, and then the guy called my sister, they took our appt letters as well and stamped the forms, took our photos, left index finger print captured, and then the right index, gave the appt letters back to us to bring to the reception desk on 2nd flr. Then, we headed back to the 2nd flr reception, the guy instructed my sister and I to sit by “Door 1” waiting area until we’re called. I politely asked the guy at the reception about taking oath together if both of us would be approved. He wrote on a piece of paper “Family oath taking form”, asked me to bring to the 3rd flr reception to ask for this form, said he will fill up the form once I get it so that we can have oath together. I left my sister at the Door 1 waiting area, went up to 3rd flr, showed the guard the form I need from the reception, guard asked me to sit on the waiting area coz of the long waiting line for natz interview all for 9:30am. I went back to 2nd flr, told the guy who asked me to get the form that I could not wait due to the long line, he said it’s fine, just whoever gets called in first by the an officer, tell him/her that we want to have oath together and they should be able to do it for us.

We patiently waited on the waiting area, at about 9:45am, my sister was called in by a nice young black fellow - Officer Lee. According to my sister, she was placed under oath and then went straight to the civics/history tests for which she got all 6 of the questions correct, then asked to read “How many Senators are there?”, asked to write “There are one hundred Senators.”, there was not any tough questioning besides a ran down on the info on her application form, did not ask for any supporting documentations whatsoever, not even the tax forms for the last 5 yrs. Officer Lee advised my sister that her app is approved and just wait for the oath letter in the mail within 30 days. Sister told her about our intention to go for oath at the same time, Officer Lee checked my name in the system and told my sister I was assigned to a different lady officer, but she will coordinate with that other officer to schedule our oath together. Her interview went on for about 15 minutes, out of there by 10am.

Sister didn’t remember the rest of the 6, but here are the 4 questions she‘s asked:

1. What is rule of law?

2. What major event happened on Sept 11, 2001, in the US?

3. What ocean is on the west coast of the US?

4. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

There were other applicants who got called in before me, guess they were adjustment applicants and marriage based, there was also a couple who was interviewed separately by the same officer, the guy looked so tensed and you could really tell. Anyways, finally! Officer McHenry (another black fellow) called my name, she introduced herself nicely, sounded personable to me at least, so easily I was able to establish a casual talk with her. We walked in the very long hallways, then we stopped by the big copy machine near the cubicles, asked me to bring out my passports (old and new), ID and green card, she even made a joke about having 4 passports, 3 expired and 1 current. While making copies of the bio and stamped entries and exits on my passports, ID and green card, she asked how I obtained my green card, I said through my Aunt’s petition to my dad in 1982, she said, “Okay, I see.“ I know that she has all my immigration file in her office, could easily look into those and get that info.

We then proceeded to her office which was the last office in the building! I said jokingly “it’s a very long walk and I should take a rest before moving on, she said she’s sorry about it, and she smiled, smiled back at her. Upon reaching her office, she told me to remain standing for the oath, then asked me to sit. I jokingly said to her I couldn’t do what she does, bunch of paper trails and documents to read all day long, then she asked what I do for a living, told her I am a nurse, she said I work as hard as she is, we both laughed. She introduced herself again being Officer McHenry and said that she will institute my naturalization interview. We went straight to the civics/history/govt…. she printed a set of papers from the computer, stapled them together, turned to Page 1. She wrote each of my answer next to the question. Got the first 6 questions correct, so we stopped.

The following are the questions I was asked on the tests:

1. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.

2. What is one right or freedom from the first amendment?

3. During the cold war, what was the main concern of the United States?

4. Who is in charge of the executive branch?

5. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?

6. What is one reason colonists came to America?

Then, the English/writing/reading. She asked to read line #2 on page 2 of the test: “Who is the Father of our Country?”

She then turned to page 3, asked me to write on line #2 “Washington is the Father of our Country.”

After the testing, she said you passed all your tests, now we shall proceed with your application form.

As she’s going down on the form, the first question she asked was if I ever used a different name, and I said no but I would like to amend/rescind the name change on the app since I no longer intend to change my name and keep my name at birth. She crossed out Part 1, Section D. #1 - with a red pen, checked the box NO on name change, wrote a big red pen on that section “NO NAME CHANGE.”

Other questions: date of birth, current address, employer, marital status, kids which I have none. She then asked how many trips abroad I had altogether. She verified the list on the form against the “US VISIT” records she obtained from CBP also including on the documents in the packet. (For every form she pulled out of my file, as much as she tried to hide them, I can actually see what forms they were). Then she wrote on the “travel” page the control numbers on US VISIT.

She went on to General Questions on Part 10A (Additional Questions), asked me numbers 1 through 4, disregarded the rest. Part 10B, only asked questions on number 9, again skipped the rest. Part 10D, GMC. Numbers 15 though 21. At number 16, I mentioned to her that I was cited for minor traffic violations such as speeding tickets and turn violations for which each occurrence did not amount to over $500. She said it’s not important unless I have a DUI or if I have been arrested.

Continue on … she asked if I ever registered for Selective Service, asked for documentation, gave her a copy I printed off the website, also offered for her to see the actual registration card I received in the mail just last month after I called and requested through their customer service number. Then, Part 10 H, Oath requirements, numbers 34 through 39. Lastly, Part 14, Oath of Allegiance. She then asked me to print my full name on Part 14, and to sign Parts 13 and 14 of the form and then sign the front of photos I sent with application, which she said will be affixed to my natz certificate. She took all her stamps and dated all the checklist forms she has to complete my natz app, went back to page 1 of my application, on the right lower portion where it says “Action Block”, she stamped “Approved.” Printed a form for naturalization certificate request where it has my name, A#, DOB, address, height - asked me to verify if all the info was correct. She had me sign that form and then printed another form N-652, Naturalization Interview Results, she checked that I passed the tests and that my application is recommended for approval.

I mentioned to her that my sister has also been approved today and we would like to take an oath at the same time, I told her Officer Lee interviewed my sister, she said she knows about it, Officer Lee already talked to her, she called Officer Lee on the phone, then she took all my immigration files to Officer Lee’s office, told her to schedule us together. She walked me back to the waiting area, told me to wait for an oath letter within 30 days. That concluded my natz interview experience at the Chicago DO. Finally, one step further to becoming a US citizen!

Again, thank you and good luck to you tomorrow!

Irma24 - You may kiss your husband, get a second wedding. Congratulations!

newylyweds2010 - I thought about it, haha -- but my I-94 was already turned in to USCIS during adjustment of status. Thank you! I hope that you be naturalized soon. =)

Today, I received an email/text update that my sister and I are scheduled for an oath ceremony, I have a feeling the oath will be next week. Can't wait until this is all over.

Edited by Jay2Pnoy

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

Timeline

Jay2Pnoy, newylyweds2010,

Even I-94 was very important in my AOS, today in the morning we took I-290 to drive for my interview - ha, ha!

Second wedding is not for us. We prefer spend our money for trips around the US and photography.

I hope that our oath ceremony will be pretty soon. Yes, it will be wonderful relieve that this is all over...

Jay2Pnoy, newylyweds2010,

Even I-94 was very important in my AOS, today in the morning we took I-290 to drive for my interview - ha, ha!

Second wedding is not for us. We prefer spend our money for trips around the US and photography.

I hope that our oath ceremony will be pretty soon. Yes, it will be wonderful relieve that this is all over...

Interstate 290 isnt quite as terrible as 94, was going to take local, I thought during rush hour it would have been worse. But we both got to our appointments on time, and we passed that's all that matters. It's nice traveling, one of my initial plans after naturalization is to travel around Europe before my sister's wedding here in the states... we will see.

If I get naturalized next week, it will be a couple of weeks short of 4 months. It's coming.... sooner than we expected.

09/05/2013 - Eligibility

07/03/2013 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.