blamu2

Who is supposed to send i-864? I got letter from USCIS saying I did it wrong

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone.

Me and my american wife applied for me to get a green card. The whole package. i-130, i-485, i-765, i-864 and all the other requirements for those documents.

It's important to note that my wife is not the sponsor but our very good friend.

I carefully read instructions for all of them and sent everything in one big package. Payment was approved and I already got my biometrics done. However the day

after the biometrics I got a 2 page pink letter from USCIS telling me that I have made 3 errors on my application and they cannot proccess my i-765. The 3rd error

was a non translated birth certificate and its totally my fault I understand that but the 2 other errors are weird. Im going to cite them here exactly as they were written.

Error no 1

Form I-864 Affidavit of Support was submitted; however, it was not from the petitioner/sponsor.

Please submit a completed, and signed Form I-864 with a revision date of 03/22/13, for the petitioner/sponsor listed on Form I-130. bla bla bla

Does that mean my wife has to submit I-864 also even though she wont be sposnoring me? I've read so much on the subject but nobody mentioned that before.

Error no 2

Based on documents submitted with FormI-864, Affidavit of Support, for the join sponsor's, the income did not meet 125% of the federal poverty line for the joint sponsor household size.

Of course I understand what that means but I've sent last 5 weeks of my forreign bank account activity showing balance in forreing currency that I have a mastercard for and can use at any time just like a normal credit card from US, (the currency is automatically converted). And the balance on that account is enough to suplement my sponsors income. However I counted my sponsor, her husband and me as the household size. Thats 3. So my questions is: Do I have to count my wife even though she is not the sponsor? And that made it 4 and thats why they rejected it?

Or they rejected it because my bank statements are not sufficient proof? Since its forreing or whatever

Thanks for any help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Hi everyone.

Me and my american wife applied for me to get a green card. The whole package. i-130, i-485, i-765, i-864 and all the other requirements for those documents.

It's important to note that my wife is not the sponsor but our very good friend.

I carefully read instructions for all of them and sent everything in one big package. Payment was approved and I already got my biometrics done. However the day

after the biometrics I got a 2 page pink letter from USCIS telling me that I have made 3 errors on my application and they cannot proccess my i-765. The 3rd error

was a non translated birth certificate and its totally my fault I understand that but the 2 other errors are weird. Im going to cite them here exactly as they were written.

Error no 1

Does that mean my wife has to submit I-864 also even though she wont be sposnoring me? I've read so much on the subject but nobody mentioned that before.

Error no 2

Of course I understand what that means but I've sent last 5 weeks of my forreign bank account activity showing balance in forreing currency that I have a mastercard for and can use at any time just like a normal credit card from US, (the currency is automatically converted). And the balance on that account is enough to suplement my sponsors income. However I counted my sponsor, her husband and me as the household size. Thats 3. So my questions is: Do I have to count my wife even though she is not the sponsor? And that made it 4 and thats why they rejected it?

Or they rejected it because my bank statements are not sufficient proof? Since its forreing or whatever

Thanks for any help

yes your usc spouse is the one who files the 864.

on the 864 is a section where your assets can combine with hers with appropriate documentation of course

you will not fill out a 864

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

The spouse/petitioner needs to submit their own I-864 with complete tax returns, even if they do not qualify as the sponsor. Then the sponsor will also submit an I-864.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Quoting the USCIS website pertaining to Affidavit of Support/form I-864:

Sponsor for Affidavit of Support

If you filed an immigrant visa petition for your relative, you must be the sponsor. You must also be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. You must have a domicile in the United States or a territory or possession of the United States. Usually, this requirement means you must actually live in the United States, or a territory or possession, in order to be a sponsor. If you live abroad, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor if you can show that your residence abroad is temporary, and that you still have your domicile in the United States.

Section 213A of the INA permits both a "joint sponsor" and a "substitute sponsor" in certain cases.

Joint Sponsor

A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

Substitute Sponsor

If the visa petitioner has died after approval of the visa petition but U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) decides to let the petition continue, a substitute sponsor must file a Form I-864 in place of the deceased visa petitioner. In order to be a “substitute sponsor,” you must be related to the intending immigrant in one of the following ways:

• Spouse
  • Parent
  • Mother-in-law
  • Father-in-law
  • Sibling
  • Child (if at least 18 years of age)
  • Son
  • Daughter
  • Son-in-law
  • Daughter-in-law
  • Sister-in-law
  • Brother-in-law
  • Grandparent
  • Grandchild
  • Legal guardian of the beneficiary

You must also:

• Be U.S. citizen or national or a permanent resident
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be domiciled (live) in the United States
  • Meet all of the financial requirements of a sponsor pursuant to INA 213A

The substitute sponsor assumes all of the obligations of an I-864 sponsor.

Edited by HollyGolightly

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

So whoever is sponsoring, my wife also files I-864 even if she doesnt work?

And also. Is there a way for me to confirm that they count my forreing savings? Because I'm still not sure if they accepted it. They didn't mention it in the errors but the error no 2 could have it kind of included without saying it.

And also. Is there a way for me to confirm that they count my forreing savings? Because I'm still not sure if they accepted it. They didn't mention it in the errors but the error no 2 could have it kind of included without saying it.

Yes, your wife is the sponsor even if she doesn't work.

As far as I know, you cannot add your assets to a joint-sponsor's form. The joint sponsor needs to qualify on their own. So it doesn't matter if they accept your savings or not.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

The petitioning relative should be the sponsor. In this case, your wife should be your sponsor and file form I-864. If her income is insufficient you can submit evidence that shows you (the beneficiary) have enough income to supplement the deficit through bank statements, properties or other sources of income that will continue after your immigration to the US (ex. rental income from property abroad); or you can have a joint sponsor (ex. a parent or relative but need not be related) in order to comply with the 125% income requirement.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

• 3 weeks later...

I got another request for evidence, I think I'm pretty much done this time. Sucks I've wasted 1500 to apply.

basically the situation is like this: theres 4 people: me, my spouse, our friend joint sponsor and her husband.

my wife makes 13k a year, she works part time only fresh out of college, our friend joint sponsor makes 18k.

thats 31k together. (we cant count her husband because he doesnt agree to help)

poverty level for 4 people is;23,550 and 125% of that is:29437.5

That means we are over the requirement.

But the letter reads

Based on the documents submitted with Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for the joint sponsor, the income did not meet 125% of the federal poverty line.

Why? :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Your wife is the primary sponser and she needs to submit an I-864, even if 0 income or assets.

There is NO WAY to get around that.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

i dont think u can add the sponsors together , the co-sponsor has to make over the poverty on her own.

you cant add you wife and friends income together . I think thats why they sent you another RFE.

Adjustment of status after K1 visa ClockWatch2.gif

2013-08-12 (Day 1 ) - Sent my Aos package for work permit and green Card

2013-08-20 (DAY 8) Noa1 received via Text around 11pm, next day was email. Received my case numbers

2013-08-23 (Day 11)- received hard copy in mail for Noa1 gc , Work permit

2013-08-30 (Day 18) Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

2013-09-17 (Day 25) biometrics appointment day @2pm Detriot

2013-09-25 (Day 33) received text and email , I485 changed to testing and interview

2013-10-02 (Day 40) received text message and email @7am about my interview date

2013-10-04 (Day 42) Received hard copy interview letter in the mail

2013-10-10 (Day 48) Work permit Card in production

2013-10-16 (Day 54) 2nd Text and email @830am Work permit in Production

2013-10-21 (Day 59) text/email notice 10am . Work Permit sent

2013-10-21(Day 59)Text/ email @9pm received text with tracking number -2 day delievery

2013-10-24(Day 62) received my work permit in the mail.

2013-10-25 Filled for my Social Security number today

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Interview November 5th (1.40pm)...... APPROVED!! kicking.gif

2013-11-05(Day 74) Text and Email - Green card in Production @2.30pm

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Text and email @8.15pm Mailed notice that i am a registered permanent resident

2013-11-07 (Day 76) 2nd Text and email @11.30am - green card in production

2013-11-09 (Day 78) Welcome letter received - WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

2013-11-12 (Day 81) - Received text and email - Green card sent @1.15pm

2013-11-12 (Day 81) @9pm received text and email - with UPS tracking number - For Green card

2013-11-15 (Day 84) Green card Received dancin5hr.gif

event.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OP: :time:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I got another request for evidence, I think I'm pretty much done this time. Sucks I've wasted 1500 to apply.

basically the situation is like this: theres 4 people: me, my spouse, our friend joint sponsor and her husband.

my wife makes 13k a year, she works part time only fresh out of college, our friend joint sponsor makes 18k.

thats 31k together. (we cant count her husband because he doesnt agree to help)

poverty level for 4 people is;23,550 and 125% of that is:29437.5

That means we are over the requirement.

But the letter reads

Why? sad.png

What visa are you adjusting status from?

You do not add the primary petitioner/sponsor's income on their I-864 with that of a joint sponsor's from their own separate I-864. Please read through the I-864 and have your wife read through it too. You are not understanding many aspects of the form and its requirements. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Your wife supplies her I-864 and she only makes $13k, so that is why a joint sponsor is needed. You can add your assets on her I-864. Assets are explained on page 7 of the instructions.

The joint sponsor fills out their own I-864 and they must meet the 125% requirement on their own. They do not combine incomes with your wife. Your joint sponsor only makes $18k and that is not even enough for a household of 2. If her spouse will not agree to add his income with hers in order to sponsor you, then you need to find a new joint sponsor that does qualify because your current one does not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.