17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, everyone

I have been browsing this site for the past months as my fiancé and I were preparing our K1 application. I learned that a great basis for approval is to show stable income. All has been well and we were planning to file this month until we got into this situation.

My fiancé just got a job offer for a job he really wants and loves to do except that it will cause a major pay cut for him. He just started working when he got back in the US January this year as he has been studying overseas the past two years (that's when we met). He is doing well with his current job and makes well above the 125% minimum poverty requirement. We were thinking that by the time we get the NOA2 approval and my interview date hopefully early next year, he will already have a tax return for this year that can be submitted together with the I-134 and recent pay stubs to show he is finacially capable of supporting me.

Our concern now is if he will accept this job offer, he will not be able to make the 125% minimum requirement. But he is thinking that since he has worked 8 months already this year even with the pay cut for the rest of the year (4 months) he can still show by the end of the year that he made more than enough.

I'm thinking otherwise. Annual income will be based on his current earnings, right? I know copies of his current paystubs will be required during the interview and these will reflect his new job's salary. Can anybody enlighten us on this please? Can we still pass the income requirements?

I have read from another website that since the income requirement will be needed by the end of this process, he still has time to supplement his income until my interview so we can make the income requirement. He is thinking of getting a part time job to get additional income. Can he do this too?

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input and advice on our predicament.

Thank you.

Edited by M&Mz

11/26/2014 - Sent I-129F petition package

12/01/2014 - NOA1 via email

12/04/2014 - NOA1 hard copy received

12/16/2014 - NOA2 website notification

12/18/2014 - NOA2 hard copy received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

They will do some sort of math to determine if his hourly pay, based on a normal work-week's hours will meet the 125%. Yes he can get a 2nd job just to bump up the income if needed!

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Timeline

So basically, it doesn't matter how much the petitioner made in his previous job/previous year (2013), if the interview will be in 2014, his current pay stubs will determine his current income and ability to support the beneficiary?

Timeline

I'm thinking he can get another job to supplement the income or hold our application until he will make enough to pass the requirements. Another concern about holding the application is the two-year rule in meeting. Does it apply during the filing of I-129F or during the interview?

What can be our other options? anyone?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, everyone

I have been browsing this site for the past months as my fiancé and I were preparing our K1 application. I learned that a great basis for approval is to show stable income. All has been well and we were planning to file this month until we got into this situation.

My fiancé just got a job offer for a job he really wants and loves to do except that it will cause a major pay cut for him. He just started working when he got back in the US January this year as he has been studying overseas the past two years (that's when we met). He is doing well with his current job and makes well above the 125% minimum poverty requirement. We were thinking that by the time we get the NOA2 approval and my interview date hopefully early next year, he will already have a tax return for this year that can be submitted together with the I-134 and recent pay stubs to show he is finacially capable of supporting me.

Our concern now is if he will accept this job offer, he will not be able to make the 125% minimum requirement. But he is thinking that since he has worked 8 months already this year even with the pay cut for the rest of the year (4 months) he can still show by the end of the year that he made more than enough.

I'm thinking otherwise. Annual income will be based on his current earnings, right? I know copies of his current paystubs will be required during the interview and these will reflect his new job's salary. Can anybody enlighten us on this please? Can we still pass the income requirements?

I have read from another website that since the income requirement will be needed by the end of this process, he still has time to supplement his income until my interview so we can make the income requirement. He is thinking of getting a part time job to get additional income. Can he do this too?

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input and advice on our predicament.

Thank you.

The embassy looks really hard at the most recent tax return & W-2, which for your case will be 2013. That is all that is required with the I-134 in the embassy instructions letter. To take the worry out of being close, does your fiancé have a family member that would be a co-sponsor?

Rule # 1 is never lie. Is the job change moving to another company?

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

The job change is to another company and another industry (the one he went to school to and has no prior experience that's why the pay is low, he will start from the bottom).

He has retired parents who can co-sponsor if needed but I thought Manila embassy don't accept co-sponsor.

Thanks for replying!

The two-year rule only applies when the I-129F petition is filed with the USCIS, and does not apply at the Embassy level. So, you have no worries about that.

If your fiancé accepts the new job, he also could get a part-time job in order to maintain his current sustained income above 125% of the poverty guidelines for his household size.

The consular officer will look at his 2013 tax return but, more importantly, the consular officer will look at his current sustained income. Your fiance's current sustained income will be calculated by annualizing his current paycheck stubs. His current paycheck stubs will be the paycheck stubs from the time period immediately preceding the interview.

If the income from your fiance's new job puts him just under 125% of the poverty guidelines, an option you might want to consider is for your fiancé to accept the new job and not get a part-time job. If you choose this option, I would highly recommend that your fiancé attend your interview.

You might also consider attempting to use a joint sponsor, although the U.S. Embassy Manila doesn't always accept joint sponsors. Generally, they are more likely to accept joint sponsors for young, educated Pinoys where the joint sponsor is a close family member of the petitioner. I would suggest that the joint sponsor provide an I-864 rather than an I-134.

If a consular officer does not approve your visa because they believe you will become a public charge in the U.S, they won't deny your visa. Instead, they will issue you a 221g (MNL-IV-22). The 221g will tell you that your fiance's income is insufficient, and it will allow you one year to correct the problem. During that year, your fiancé will have the opportunity to either make more money at his current job or get a part-time job to supplement his income.

Timeline

Thank you for your insights, Tahoma.

If he will accept this new job, it will put his income 1.5k-2k under the minimum 19k requirement.

May i ask the reason why it may be vital that he will attend the interview with me if he decides to accept this new job?

Has there been a precedent that a co-sponsor was accepted for some young, educated Pinoy applicants? I guess we fit the bill of being young, educated Pinoys. He just went back to school to finish his course (prior to this he has 10 years work experience in the US already). I graduated from a premier university in the country and has 8 years solid work experience. My fiance actually think our application will float given my education and work background as it will help prove I won't be public charge there. I'm not too sure and I worry about it.

Edited by M&Mz

Timeline

I don't even want to think about the possibility of not being approved :(

If issued the 221g, does it mean we will have to wait for the next tax return to prove that he made 125% income requirement?

May i ask the reason why it may be vital that he will attend the interview with me if he decides to accept this new job?

Has there been a precedent that a co-sponsor was accepted for some young, educated Pinoy applicants?

I guess we fit the bill of being young, educated Pinoys. He just went back to school to finish his course (prior to this he has 10 years work experience in the US already). I graduated from a premier university in the country and has 8 years solid work experience.

If issued the 221g, does it mean we will have to wait for the next tax return to prove that he made 125% income requirement?

Over the years, I've noticed that K-1ers in your situation have had a better approval rate when the petitioner attended the interview. Your fiancé could attend your interview and attempt to submit the joint sponsor's papers.

Since the consular officer looks at the "totality of the circumstances" when determining whether you will become a public charge in the U.S., your education will add strength to your case.

If you are issued a 221g, you don't have to wait for the next tax return. Instead, you can submit a few of his paycheck stubs which show that he surpasses the income guidelines. These paycheck stubs can come from his primary job if he gets an adequate pay raise, or from a second job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

If he will accept this new job, it will put his income 1.5k-2k under the minimum 19k requirement.

From travel.state.gov:

Do the Same Income Requirements Apply to Form I-134 as Apply to Form I-864?

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

---

100% of the poverty guideline for 2013 is $15,510. You will need to show 125% for the green card application ("The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) will need to submit Form I-864 to USCIS with the application for adjustment of status to that of legal permanent resident following the marriage.") which may or may happen in 2014 depending on how quickly your application goes.

Good luck!

Edited by a+o

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

From travel.state.gov:

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

---

100% of the poverty guideline for 2013 is $15,510. You will need to show 125% for the green card application ("The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) will need to submit Form I-864 to USCIS with the application for adjustment of status to that of legal permanent resident following the marriage.") which may or may happen in 2014 depending on how quickly your application goes.

Good luck!

the PI is sticky about 134's and it is the interviewing officer who will make the call.. this is covered often in detail

they also go for the 125% with a 134 in the PI

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

From travel.state.gov:

---

Good luck!

So many people post this all the time as if it is gospel and the CO must comply with this. Not all consulates/COs will follow this I-134 rule. Many of them will use the I-864 guidelines because the K-1 is technically a non-immigrant visa but is processed and treated as an immigrant one by the consulates because the K-1 is special in that it has immigrant intent. They know the I-864 will be needed shortly after entering the US, getting married and filing for AOS. Some consulates are more strict about the financials than others. A CO has a lot of leeway about what they can accept with the I-134 and the decision is entirely up to them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

So many people post this all the time as if it is gospel and the CO must comply with this. Not all consulates/COs will follow this I-134 rule. Many of them will use the I-864 guidelines because the K-1 is technically a non-immigrant visa but is processed and treated as an immigrant one by the consulates because the K-1 is special in that it has immigrant intent. They know the I-864 will be needed shortly after entering the US, getting married and filing for AOS. Some consulates are more strict about the financials than others. A CO has a lot of leeway about what they can accept with the I-134 and the decision is entirely up to them.

+1

you always say things better :)

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I understand. Most of my research has centered on how it goes in Finland. Other people have reported that I-134 is barely looked at — maybe because Finland is a low-fraud country.

I responded with the "official" rules because it seems like many people on this forum give advice or make statements without sourcing, referencing, or providing some facts. I appreciate the explanation. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.