Berande

In need of a little guidance.. And maybe some encouragement

8 posts in this topic

I wrote out this long explanation but my computer ate it so I'll just cut to the chase. I'm new to this forum and my fiance and I are about to begin this process. It's all just so stressful and we feel like we are a little bit in over our heads. What we really need is some support and help with all this.

As soon as we have the money we will be doing the petition. Hopefully by the end of this month. I'm going to have my mother cosign (Is that the word?) the affidavit just to ensure we meet the financial requirement. Ian and i both have jobs but he takes care of his disabled mother so he is paid a carer's allowance which doesn't leave too much for saving and I am working two part time minimum wage jobs. We don't want to get a lawyer because of the costs but I've had such a mix of "Don't waste money on a lawyer!" and "Get a lawyer, are you stupid?!" that I'm just not sure it's the right choice anymore. We would appreciate any help we can get at this point

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is a DIY site, so most people here have done it without a lawyer. The lawyer just fills out the forms with information you provide. They send supporting evidence with the forms, that you provide. So, just fill in the forms, gather your supporting documents and file on your own. Follow this guide and the I-129F form instructions and you should be fine. Ask here when you need any help. http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

If you're really unsure how to proceed even after reading the information here then a lawyer would probably be a good option for you. For some people these crazy rules and procedures are easy to decipher but for others, that's why there are immigration lawyers! Don't worry what other people say, you need to do what's best for you guys!!

Spoiler

===============================================

January 06, 2011 - Married in Buenos Aires, Argentina 

July 15, 2013 - Mailed I-130 Packet 

May 13, 2014 - Case complete at NVC 

June 16, 2014 - IR-1 VISA APPROVED at US Embassy in Buenos Aires 

July 15, 2014 - Arrival at Houston and Permanent Residency granted

===============================================

April 24, 2017 - Filing N-400 for Naturalization!  

Spoiler

This website is really helpful. You don't need a lawyer to file your I-129F. One of VJers here used a lawyer and do you know what happened? the lawyer could not make difference between G325A and G325. So, they got an RFE for mistake that lawyer did. So follow what Jay-Kay said. My fiance and I did not use a lawyer and we are waiting our NOA-2 now. You'll be okay!

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My, now wife, and I did not use a lawyer and the filing is simple...If you have questions ask around, find similar posts, and if you cannot find the right post, make a new one. We are here to help each other out. Blessings as you start this journey.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

I wrote out this long explanation but my computer ate it so I'll just cut to the chase. I'm new to this forum and my fiance and I are about to begin this process. It's all just so stressful and we feel like we are a little bit in over our heads. What we really need is some support and help with all this.

As soon as we have the money we will be doing the petition. Hopefully by the end of this month. I'm going to have my mother cosign (Is that the word?) the affidavit just to ensure we meet the financial requirement. Ian and i both have jobs but he takes care of his disabled mother so he is paid a carer's allowance which doesn't leave too much for saving and I am working two part time minimum wage jobs. We don't want to get a lawyer because of the costs but I've had such a mix of "Don't waste money on a lawyer!" and "Get a lawyer, are you stupid?!" that I'm just not sure it's the right choice anymore. We would appreciate any help we can get at this point

deep breaths.. relax.. read the guides.. reread the guides

then decide if you need a lawyer

it isn't all that difficult, and if it all feels overwhelming that is normal, but if the guides are confusing, then you might be better off with a lawyer.

the details in the guides are useful.. as in they are an excellent checklist and much more detailed than most lawyers will do for you.

when you have a nice quiet minute and have read the guides .. look in the mirror and ask if a petition were filed on your behalf .. who would ensure it is done correctly.. you or your lawyer ;)

if you do make mistakes.. and lawyers do too.. it is not the end of the world.. things are fixable and this site is a wealth of information and support

spend the weekend reading through the forums as much as you can to learn of everyone's challenges

I already made two mistakes and my wife was .. well .. kinda pissed lol

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey!

So, like someone else said...deep breath and relax!

It can all be very overwhelming if you let it get to you, but it's actually all pretty straight forward. My fiancé and I didn't use a lawyer, and I managed to fill in all the forms correctly, in the midst of packing and moving all of our stuff to the USA. He had been living with me in the UK for 5 years, got a job opportunity back in CA and we had 1 month to sort everything out before he moved and I went with him for 3 months! Needless to say the whole experience was very stressful and I was certainly worried I would miss something, but if you check, check, check and check again, you will be fine!

It was only after I had submitted everything that I found this site, so I managed to do it all purely by going on the USCIS site and following the instructions there, so the fact you have found this site before doing it all, already gives you a heads up.

If you've ever filled out a form before in your life, then you will honestly be fine. The whole process is expensive enough as it is, I wouldn't add more cost in to the equation by hiring someone to fill out a few forms for you.

Just to warn you though, if you haven't gathered already, the process after filing can be a long waiting game, so be prepared for that!! My advice at that point, is to go on the USCIS site and start getting everything together for the next part, so when that comes around, you have had a few months to make sure it is all there and perfect smile.png

But that's skipping ahead. For the petition, gather as much evidence of your relationship as possible to include in the package. The more you have, the better it is - emails and texts (maybe skip the rude ones!), photos, plane tickets, etc. And have a good variety too - not all from the same month of the same year, but bits from the entire length of your relationship to present.

I'll attach a copy of the cover letter I included in the package. It gives you a list of the forms needed along with other stuff you will need in it. Hope it helps smile.png

And like everyone else has said, this is a great site to ask questions on, so if you get stuck just ask!!

cover letter copy.pdf

4. Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years.

I typed up a declaration, please let me know if I need to add something or edit anything:

"Ian and I met online in November of 2012. We officially began dating about a month later, on December 23rd, 2012. We met in person for the first time on June 13th, 2013. I had lost my job and thought it would be better to go spend 3 weeks with him before trying to find another job so I would not be asking for time off in December to meet him. "

And thank you all for taking time to respond. It means a lot to me

Edited by Berande

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.