callmekay

Fiancé forgot he was married before!

126 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Light bulb isn't = to life. you need to change your way of thinking.

I never stated that it was. However the concept is very similar. Just because one thing went array I'm going to through a relationship down the drain? That's like me having one bad day gonna go off myself and wait to be reincarnated.

Just like everyone on Vj my fiancé and I have built a relationship together and we are working to overcome this obstacle together. Once that's done I can only hope it brings our relationship stronger.

So no. I don't have to chane my way of thinking. But thank you for your comment.

I-129F sent on 12/18/2012
Delivery confirmation confirmed from USPS 12/20/2012
Text/email NOA1 received 12/26/2012 Off to VSC we go!
Check cashed 12/28/2012
NOA1 Hardcopy received 12/29/2012 Priority Date 12/21/2012
Touched, still in Initial Review 01/02/2013

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/24/2013 transferred

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/29/2013 transferred to local office (New Orleans?)

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/30/2013 File now processing

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

NOA2 Hardcopy received 06/22/2013

Touched, 07/10/2013 sent to DOS

Received case number from NVC 07/15/2013

Case sent to US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 07/30/2013

Sent online form to Us Consulate to inquire about packet 3 08/20/2013

Packet 3 Received @ consulate 9/26/2013

Packet 4 Sent via email 01/03/2014

Interview Date 01/27/2014 (submitted requested documents and medical exams records received 03/30 )

VISA APPROVED (Received in hand on April 22)
May 18, 2014 Arrive in US

Wedding date 06/02/2015

AOS Sent: TBD

Timeline

Hang in there Kay, try to find out what needs to happen, and just do it, you've come a long way. You seem committed and with that you will find a way. Commitment is the foundation of any good relationship.

Timeline

Hang in there Kay, try to find out what needs to happen, and just do it, you've come a long way. You seem committed and with that you will find a way. Commitment is the foundation of any good relationship.

After the initial shock wore off yea. I'm hanging.

Just gotta see now.

Check cashed 12/28/2012

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/29/2013 transferred to local office (New Orleans?)

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

Interview Date 01/27/2014 (submitted requested documents and medical exams records received 03/30 )

Wedding date 06/02/2015

Filed: Timeline

Sorry if I missed this -- skimmed other posts and may have. You mentioned the marriage was 18 years ago...how recent was the divorce? The reason I'm asking is that it might factor into the discussion with USCIS and/or the visa officer it it, too was very soon after the divorce. If, however, it was much more recent, then they are more likely to think he was trying to conceal and perhaps only "came clean" because of his former wife's Facebook post. I don't know how often/how deeply USCIS or Embassy officers use Facebook to research cases, but I have been told they do so.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you.

Well, on his interview, I guess he can say that he didn't understand what was being asked of him and since he has been divorced a long time ago, he thought his current status was single (this was one of his answers to you, according to your earlier posts anyway; plus the language barrier). Idk, since he IS free to marry and is actually divorced, its just amending the papers and providing proof. Who knows how long this would extend the process, at least you didn't stick to the "single" status which would REALLY qualify as lying. Its the consulates business to make sure he is free to marry, other than that, you finding out his divorce this late into the relationship is between you and him alone. Best to talk about a better way of explaining the error than his "I forgot" reason. If I were you, I would also write a letter saying you are aware he is divorced. Would be kinda odd if he showed up to the interview with divorce papers. Interviewer might question if you are aware that he is amending his civil status on the app.

Edited by iammrsregi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She is aware he is divorced now, she was not previously.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well, on his interview, I guess he can say that he didn't understand what was being asked of him and since he has been divorced a long time ago, he thought his current status was single (this was one of his answers to you, according to your earlier posts anyway; plus the language barrier). Idk, since he IS free to marry and is actually divorced, its just amending the papers and providing proof. Who knows how long this would extend the process, at least you didn't stick to the "single" status which would REALLY qualify as lying. Its the consulates business to make sure he is free to marry, other than that, you finding out his divorce this late into the relationship is between you and him alone. Best to talk about a better way of explaining the error than his "I forgot" reason. If I were you, I would also write a letter saying you are aware he is divorced. Would be kinda odd if he showed up to the interview with divorce papers. Interviewer might question if you are aware that he is amending his civil status on the app.

That's what the lawyer advised us to do. We each write a letter explaining how it came about that it was no previously mentioned.

Check cashed 12/28/2012

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

Wedding date 06/02/2015

Timeline

Sorry if I missed this -- skimmed other posts and may have. You mentioned the marriage was 18 years ago...how recent was the divorce? The reason I'm asking is that it might factor into the discussion with USCIS and/or the visa officer it it, too was very soon after the divorce. If, however, it was much more recent, then they are more likely to think he was trying to conceal and perhaps only "came clean" because of his former wife's Facebook post. I don't know how often/how deeply USCIS or Embassy officers use Facebook to research cases, but I have been told they do so.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you.

the marriage and divorce happened from what he explained to me approximately 18 months ago.

my father in law also clarified with me about the marriage too.

they were in love, they signed the marriage certificate and he followed her to Denmark. Was there for about 4 or so months, didn't like it and he said they weren't getting along so he came back to Vietnam.

She wanted to marry later on and when that time came she sent the divorce papers to him.

Exactly when this was done I have no idea.

Thank you Jan22. I'm finger crossed hoping for the best too.

Check cashed 12/28/2012

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

Wedding date 06/02/2015

According to my fiancé when I inquired about his previous relationships it was only the one with his baby momma. He says he didn't recall that marriage because there was no celebration. They only signed the paperwork. Trust me, I've been giving him hell about this already. I'm born and raised in America so when we were filing the paperwork, I asked him about previous marriage. I'm gonna give him benefit of the doubt that he assumed I asked about most recent relationship?! I have no idea. But that's his explanation to me.

So that's his story and he's sticking to it? I, for one, don't believe him for a second. I don't believe ANYONE could forget a marriage, ceremony or not. He doesn't remember marrying his babies momma?? I guess the old adage is true: There's a sucker born every minute.....is true.

Sorry, but you are crazy if you trust this guy. And I don't mean that in a mean or derogatory way. I say it with all the kindness and love in my heart.

By the way, I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn....interested??? lol

Aloha Ke Akua

He has his daughter because at the time he and his baby momma split he had better means of taking care of her. And the divorce was not with the baby momma but someone before her. So when I met him he told me about the baby momma only and I was under the assumption she was the only one he was serious.

And yes I too asked why he kept the baby but he explained it.

I see, so it's all YOUR fault. You should have asked him all possible questions????

Thank you. What's funny though is there are plenty of people who forget their anniversaries and even birthdays. Not necessarily the same thing but along the lines of it some similarity

If there were other instances he "forgot" then I would definitely have to rethink this union. But this is the only thing that's cause this much of a fuss between us. I can't change the past either so now we are just gonna try to make the most of it.

Oh come on now...forgetting your anniversary date and forgetting that you have ever been married are comparing apples to oranges.....give me a break!? I think I just threw up a little.

Timeline

Oh come on now...forgetting your anniversary date and forgetting that you have ever been married are comparing apples to oranges.....give me a break!? I think I just threw up a little.

Thank you for your comments and non-advice. But I've already decided what to do.

Clearly you didn't take your time to read through it. My fiancé was NEVER married to his baby momma. You may want to re-read to get the facts straight before you start bashing me for my actions.

Check cashed 12/28/2012

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

Wedding date 06/02/2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you for your comments and non-advice. But I've already decided what to do.

Clearly you didn't take your time to read through it. My fiancé was NEVER married to his baby momma. You may want to re-read to get the facts straight before you start bashing me for my actions.

The whole thing is really crazy… I have been on VJ for long time and never came across anything like this.

He was not married but he signed the divorce paper….hmmm don’t add up.

From all the the post to me it seems him and his lawyer both seem to be cooking stories, if his lawyer is suggesting you go and tell CO since it was so long he thought he was single that is dumb move.

Anyways since you have made up your mind all I can say good luck.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Your fiance is blameless. He is not responsible for anything. This would imply that this whole "I forgot I was married" thing is your fault becuase you never asked him. I hope you live together in peaceful happiness forever.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

8 pages so can get confusing.

Rough order:

Married.

Left wife.

Relationship with another woman, not married but did produce a child.

That relationship finished.

New relationship with OP.

At some point his Wife initiated a divorce, when this happened and when it was finalised is not known but he is currently divorced.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.