DanieLMelara

what to wear for citizenship interview?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

another trivial question.
I have the citizenship interview coming up soon. I am wondering what to dress. I am thinking that I should go looking very professional. you know: a tie, and a suit, but I am afraid to overdress and that the officer would not like that. I do not want to look pretentious or give the wrong impression.

what is your opinion on this matter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

When we go for our K1 interview, my fiance is going to wear dress pants with a collared shirt and blazer. We're skipping the whole suit & tie and going with the business casual look. From what I've read on here for our embassy (New Delhi) people tend to dress very casually but, we still want to look as though we are taking it seriously. Good luck!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whatever you're comfortable with - business casual certainly can't go wrong but no one is going to fault you for wearing a suit and tie either. People come in all types of dress and pass. First impressions are always important.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Dress the way it makes you comfortable. No one can tell you hey you dressing better then me you are denied lol. Looks are important but not that important.

Filed: Timeline

I'm old enough to have worn a suit and tie to work for the first five or so years of my career so take this with a grain of salt - but I recommend suit and tie. I don't see you offending anyone with a suit and tie, or a sport coat and nice pants/shirt. Again just my opinion but in these situations you want the focus to be on what you say, and not what you wear. So the worn out jeans and Metallica t-shirt should stay in the closet... smile.png

And that is not a trivial question - the whole visa and citizenship process is very important - big stakes. Your attention to detail shows you take it seriously!

Edited by JRF

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Thanks to everybody who took the time to answer this question.

I think looks are important part of how people think of you. They say that 80% of communication is non-verbal. I think to dress professionally is important given that this is one of the most imporant interviews of my life.

The only reason that I am having doubts is because, government employees are not known for dressing too professional and I am afraid that I might be too dressy compared to the officer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was interviewed by a male officer and he was wearing a suit and tie (the jacket was on the back of his chair).

I went during work hours and wore business casual and everyone else waiting seemed to be dressed the same. It was a very hot day here in NC and I didn't see any of the men being interviewed wearing jackets, but lots were wearing pants, shirts, and ties.

When my mom went to her naturalization interview, she wore a dress she uses for church meetings. I've seen guys who work at immigration wearing casual shirt and jeans and others looking professional. So, wear whatever you feels comfy.

Edited by Winky

For those who wishes to see my timeline, I will fix it somewhere in the future.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I wore shorts and a t-shirt to my interview. It was a Saturday, it was hot and I had places to be after my 8:30 am interview. I don't think my interviewing officer cared much for my attire.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.