Topsky

Same-sex Marriage questions

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, and welcome aboard...

There are quite a few same-sex couples who have joined recently, and if you haven't already done so, there's a discussion thread called "Bi-National Same Sex Couples: Show Up!" where a lot of people have introduced themselves. Many same-sex couples seem to be going the fiance visa route, although there are a number of married couples as well. It's really interesting to see the variety of countries already represented.

As far as the age difference goes, don't worry about it. Love is love, and when you're crazy about each other it's pretty obvious and the rest of the world can just deal with it.

Good luck with your process and keep us posted!

Yup, I recommend avoiding a lawyer. As long as your reading,organizational and google-fu skills are decent, the lawyer cant really do much that you cant.

Even for homosexual couples, I don`t think there is a strong need for a lawyer.

It doesnt matter who actually pay the fee, as long as you include it with your packet. For example, my mother took out a money order for me, since I'm not in the US.

The only requirement is that it must draw on US resources.

Great, Thanks. I will keep that in my mind. I appreciate your help.

Aroha

There are quite a few same-sex couples who have joined recently, and if you haven't already done so, there's a discussion thread called "Bi-National Same Sex Couples: Show Up!" where a lot of people have introduced themselves. Many same-sex couples seem to be going the fiance visa route, although there are a number of married couples as well. It's really interesting to see the variety of countries already represented.

As far as the age difference goes, don't worry about it. Love is love, and when you're crazy about each other it's pretty obvious and the rest of the world can just deal with it.

" As far as the age difference goes, don't worry about it. Love is love, and when you're crazy about each other it's pretty obvious and the rest of the world can just deal with it."

Yes, Love is love! I will sure keep you guys informed about how we go and the stages of immigration.

Thank you for your support.

Filed: Timeline

Hi Fulano de Tal. This is an aside, but also kind of appropriate, since it's one of the first major same-sex threads (at least that I've seen), but it looks like you and I are in very similar situations. I`m the USC in a same sex couple, also living in Brazil. I just got my NOA1, how is your progress going?

Honestly, it would probably be good to get a few of the Same sex couples in touch with one another, at least in a simple thread like this. I have a feeling there may be a few RFE's or similar roadblocks that come up commonly in homosexual situations, simply because it is such a new process. We may be able to trade some good information.

Filed: Timeline

" As far as the age difference goes, don't worry about it. Love is love, and when you're crazy about each other it's pretty obvious and the rest of the world can just deal with it."

Yes, Love is love! I will sure keep you guys informed about how we go and the stages of immigration.

Thank you for your support.

If it puts your mind more at ease, my mother, a 50+ woman met and fell in love with a Tunisia man of 29. They got the K-1 fiance visa fairly easily, and they had only known each other a year or so. Tunisia is even a relatively more complicated country to get the K-1 from and they did. As long as you have good bonafide evidence of your relatoinship, you are fine. I think as you start looking more into the process, you will so how doable it all is. I was where you were just 1.5 months ago. After a ton of research, I feel a little more confident (although, I still have a very long way to go).

Hi Fulano de Tal. This is an aside, but also kind of appropriate, since it's one of the first major same-sex threads (at least that I've seen), but it looks like you and I are in very similar situations. I`m the USC in a same sex couple, also living in Brazil. I just got my NOA1, how is your progress going?

Honestly, it would probably be good to get a few of the Same sex couples in touch with one another, at least in a simple thread like this. I have a feeling there may be a few RFE's or similar roadblocks that come up commonly in homosexual situations, simply because it is such a new process. We may be able to trade some good information.

Fulano, I just realized I assumed you were gay based on the post in this thread and your picture. I hope that was accurate! Either way, sorry for assuming.

:)

Thank you for the clarification. However, I would like to know who should pay the fee? I have my Bank of America account and I can access my funds through Bank Of America as well.

smile.png

The USC is supposed to pay the fee from a US bank account. The initial fee should be in the form of a check or money order. Later on when you get to the NVC stages you can pay for the fees online but the USCIS option for that right now is only for specific things and the I-130 petition isn't one of those.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

The USC is supposed to pay the fee from a US bank account. The initial fee should be in the form of a check or money order. Later on when you get to the NVC stages you can pay for the fees online but the USCIS option for that right now is only for specific things and the I-130 petition isn't one of those.

Thanks

That helps and clears my doubts.

If it puts your mind more at ease, my mother, a 50+ woman met and fell in love with a Tunisia man of 29. They got the K-1 fiance visa fairly easily, and they had only known each other a year or so. Tunisia is even a relatively more complicated country to get the K-1 from and they did. As long as you have good bonafide evidence of your relatoinship, you are fine. I think as you start looking more into the process, you will so how doable it all is. I was where you were just 1.5 months ago. After a ton of research, I feel a little more confident (although, I still have a very long way to go).

Fulano, I just realized I assumed you were gay based on the post in this thread and your picture. I hope that was accurate! Either way, sorry for assuming.

smile.png

Thank you, Dumsta. I appreciate that you have shared your personal fact here.

I hope there are no hurdles with our journey either. I am looking on the web and studying the forms. They are indeed easy and just basic forms. I would certainly reconsider paying a huge fee to an attorney. We might just chill and get some extra DVDs on netflix with that amount eb0dfafc.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Does it matter in who pay the immigration I-130 fee? or it has to be the sponsor?

Anyone can pay it as long as it is drawn on funds from a US financial institution.

Another Question I have is: when do we send evidence of our relationship? with I-130 or separately?

With the I-130.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Dumpsta121,

Yes, we're definitely a same-sex couple! I don't want to hijack this thread with specifics about Brazil, but feel free to send me a message and we can discuss further. Thanks.

Anyone can pay it as long as it is drawn on funds from a US financial institution.

With the I-130.

Thank you for your kind help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Inappropriate post removed and one quoting~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 4 weeks later...

I am on F-1 Visa and it expires in the middle of next year. although I plan to get my opt before my phd career. My same sex partner and I got married last 3 month and he has been hitting on him filing now. But I am scared I might get denied because we stay in different states due to my studies. Although we have a joint account he does not have a medical insurance but as an international student it is mandatory i pay for my medical insurance. Also the school told me I won't be able to jointly file tax with my spouse. Do you think I should start the process now . And Yes my spouse makes the required amount to file for me .

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi guys I'm Mark and I'm a USC that's been living with my husband Carlos here in SP Brazil for almost 8 years. We were married here in August and we are going the IR-1 route. I guess I just need to file the I-130 form to get started. I guess since I've been living here for so long it will be hard to file domicile in the States or financial responsibility....I will probably get my mom to co-sponser and also we have an apartment here that we are planning to sell so hopefully that will work. I think it's great that I've seen some Brazilian / American couples here. Anyone already married that has started the process? I have on question when the I-130 is approved do we have to send all the paperwork in the get the interview or do we take all the paperwork with us the day of the interview...kinda of cofused with that because I've seen a couple of differend things. Well any exchange of experiences or help would be great. Meeting couples doing the same is also awesome as well! LETS GET OUR PARTNERS THEIR GREEN CARDS!! :)

Mark

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.