GermanCanadian89

Our plan. Good or bad?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I have been discussing a few things. We can't take the distance between us.

It might be in our best interest to do the following. Since he makes more money, its not really an issue right now. We agreed upon, I would quit my job, and live in the states with him 2 weeks at a time. I would go back to canada, every second week for a few days. Would this mess our process up?

Also, why can't we just sign the marriage licences now? We've filled our forms out, and we have sent them in, we know they're in the middle of 'processing' them. If we were to sign the documents, would that also mess our process up?

Suggestions please!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Consider reviewing the pinned thread at the top of the forum page, Yes, You Can Visit:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I know I can visit. That's not the issue... Our concern was this;

what if we just went off and signed the marriage license? Our fiance visa has been accepted but, the processing time takes forever. Would I need to obtain this visa before signing the marriage license? Or, can we sign it? And continue the 2 week visiting patterns until everything is processed?

Timeline

:time: It helps folks make proper responses pertinent to your specific step in the visa process.

For example: Your visa petition has been approved? You have had your visa interview and been approved?

Should you decide to get married, or if the immigration folks learn of you processing a marriage license you may be deemed ineligible for the fiancee visa.

I know I can visit. That's not the issue... Our concern was this;

what if we just went off and signed the marriage license? Our fiance visa has been accepted but, the processing time takes forever. Would I need to obtain this visa before signing the marriage license? Or, can we sign it? And continue the 2 week visiting patterns until everything is processed?

You have to remain unmarried until your fiance enters the US with the K1 visa inside their passport. Then you can get married - and have to within 90 days of them entering the US.

As a rule of thumb, the non-US person generally has to spend more time out of the US than in it. So 2 weeks in the US followed by 3 weeks out of the US might work. However, expect more scrutiny by CBP. If you resign from your job, then that is a tie gone from Canada and it may make it more difficult to get in.

We have all been where you are. We all hate being separated from our loved ones. But it will be worth it in the long run.

Edited by Anna Grant

Timeline

I'll do the time line now. We've just been doing a lot of talking. The travels back and forth are getting stressful. We've only submitted our forms, and they've been accepted for process. We haven't received any letters or packages yet. It's been 3 weeks only since we're notified about immigration receiving our package.

I just do not want to jeopardize our relationship; in result of us just signing the documents and because we didn't follow proper procedure.

A marriage license is usually only good for a month or so, so if you get one now it won't be good when you need it.

You can't get married now unless you want to forfeit the K-1 process and start over with a spousal visa.

You can't de facto live in the US. Border Patrol will catch on to your pattern and see you are living in the US and just going home for a few days and deny you entry.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You have to remain unmarried until your fiance enters the US with the K1 visa inside their passport. Then you can get married - and have to within 90 days of them entering the US.

As a rule of thumb, the non-US person generally has to spend more time out of the US than in it. So 2 weeks in the US followed by 3 weeks out of the US might work. However, expect more scrutiny by CBP. If you resign from your job, then that is a tie gone from Canada and it may make it more difficult to get in.

We have all been where you are. We all hate being separated from our loved ones. But it will be worth it in the long run.

Amen! :thumbs:

Timeline

thank you!

Timeline

A marriage license is usually only good for a month or so, so if you get one now it won't be good when you need it.

You can't get married now unless you want to forfeit the K-1 process and start over with a spousal visa.

You can't de facto live in the US. Border Patrol will catch on to your pattern and see you are living in the US and just going home for a few days and deny you entry.

a marriage license is only goo for a month?

a marriage license is only goo for a month?

Usually. A marriage license is permission to get married.

Once you get married, then you get a marriage certificate. That is good forever.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

1. Marriage Licenses are only good for at most 33 days.

2. If you quit your job in Canada and come to the US to visit every two weeks, good luck getting in.

3. If you get married now, and file Spousal Visa, you will still need to be separated but it takes about the same time as K1 but you get a green card right away and don't have to wait for AOS.

4. From your timeline it shows one of you lives in Niagara Falls the other in PA. At most you're looking at 6 hour trip depending on where you live. (My husband lived in St Catharines and I live in Western Michigan 7 hour trip I made it every three weeks for a weekend because it was worth it, so if your fiance makes good money in Canada, he can help with your trips to visit or vice versa).

5. If your fiance in Canada is coming to the US every 2 weeks and then going back to Canada for a weekend, that is showing he is actually residing in the US and not Canada. Therefore, visa/immigration fraud.

Good luck. Read my timeline. PM me if you have any specific questions. It's a long process, but in the end 100% worth it.

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In the end, if your love and relationship with eachother is really worth it, you will deal with however much distance there has to be before you can truely be together.

Current Status: AOS - Processing

Happily Married Dec 6th 2013 <3

Timeline

Yes, the traveling is tedious.

Yes, gas prices (in ontario espeically!) are bloody insane. (parents live in ottawa, I have to hear about it all the time lol)

Honestly, things are moving along quicker than you'd think right now. Is it a process? yes. But. Take the time to set up some savings for yourself, for the wedding, etc. Once you get in on the k1, you can't work right away, so worst case, yeah set yourself up a rainy day fund. (please note this is NOT me saying your fiance can't provide)

And what Semaj said. The time will pass. That's one thing that can be guaranteed. The NOAs seem to be coming out decently quick for the most part right now....so settle in and hang in there.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Harpa Timsah's point about CBP seeing your pattern is important. You said "live with him in the states 2 weeks at a time. I would go back to Canada, every second week for a few days". This is where your difficulties will begin as Canadian citizens aren't allowed to live in the US without the proper visa or LPR status. So what you need to get your head around is visiting your fiancé in the US while you are waiting for your K-1 visa to be approved. You might want to rethink you schedule of visits.

I also agree that quitting your job is a bad idea as it cuts a strong tie to Canada. CBP and USCIS are both part of the same agency so it's fair to assume that they; CBP, will be able to find out that you have immigration intent since you are the beneficiary listed on a K-1 visa petition. I'm not trying to scare you I just think it's important that you understand what's at risk. There are hundreds of posts on VJ from people (Canadian beneficiaries) with the same thoughts and questions, in fact I was just reading another one posted today and the guy was denied entry, admitted the next day and is now thinking to adjust.

...and it could always be worse, your fiancé could be on a different continent with a 13 hour time difference...sorry I couldn't resist.

Study the process and figure out what works best for you both and be careful, you can make mistakes that are hard to overcome. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.