Damian P

Another Naturalization Interview Question......

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Now then, this might be something or it might be nothing at all. Firstly, let me give you a brief rundown of my visajounrey thus far.

Came over on a K-1 in 2009, adjusted status, received conditional GC. Wife passed away suddenly 8 months later, request to expedite removal of conditions approved, 10 year GC issued. Four years on, I've just re-married - a gal from my own country. I know, ironic huh? Anyway, the plan is after naturalization, for me to go home for an elongated period of time (i.e. a year or more) and then do the whole DCF thing to bring my wife back over to the states. Seems reasonable enough, yes? I mean, that's one of the main selling points of taking citizenship, right? The ability to come and go with complete impunity?

Thing is, I'm fairly sure I've read somewhere on here that USCIS frown on LPRs/naturalized citizens marrying someone from their own country and trying to bring them over here. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read that somewhere. I can't think for the life of me why, but there ya go. And when the IO at the interview asks me what my future plans are, that's exactly what I'm going to tell him - I'm going home for a bit, and then, when we're ready, we'll do the DCF and come back over here. Can't think why on Earth that would be an issue, but apparently it might be.

Your thoughts, folks?

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well, anytime an LPR acquires a GC through marriage to USC then later on divorces and marries someone from their country is questionable in the immigration eyes.

Questions such as did you know your current wife before marrying the USC?

In your case..it may be a little bit different since your wife passed away and you did not marry right away..but as long as you tell them your story, you will be approved.

After you gain US citizenship no one cares what you do..I highly doubt the io will ask what are your future plans as this is not really their concern.

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Timeline

"Well, anytime an LPR acquires a GC through marriage to a USC, then later on divorces and marries someone from their own country, is questionable in the eyes of immigration officials."

Good point - I'd never really looked at it that way.

"Questions such as "did you know your current wife before you married the USC" could be asked."

Another valid point. But no, I didn't.

"After you gain US citizenship, nobody cares what you do. I highly doubt the IO will ask you what your future plans are as this is not really their concern."

My sentiments exactly - good to see we're on the same wavelength. Thanks for the reply.

And anyway , LOL @ me even worrying about this stuff now - I don't even file until May 2014! Hey - be prepared, right!??

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

And anyway , LOL @ me even worrying about this stuff now - I don't even file until May 2014! Hey - be prepared, right!??

It's never too early to prepare!! Good luck!

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

At my oath ceremony we were given instructions on how to petition for family members...lots of people do it immediately.

The person conducting our ceremony even said something about it being a major reason that people naturalize.

The IO won't ask you any questions about your motives for naturalizing at your interview. As long as you're eligible, your reasons for doing it are irrelevent.

Timeline

At my oath ceremony we were given instructions on how to petition for family members...lots of people do it immediately.

The person conducting our ceremony even said something about it being a major reason that people naturalize.

The IO won't ask you any questions about your motives for naturalizing at your interview. As long as you're eligible, your reasons for doing it are irrelevent.

^^^Damian P "likes" this^^^

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's not really "frowned upon" but it is considered suspicious and others have explained why it that's the case. In YOUR case however, I don't believe it will be a red flag.

There are also restrictions (from memory) on how quickly you can petition a new spouse if you gain the N400 based on marriage. I could be wrong but I recall reading that somewhere. Something about cutting down on the whole fraud thing, but again, doesn't affect you. I just mention it for anyone else interested.

Now then, this might be something or it might be nothing at all. Firstly, let me give you a brief rundown of my visajounrey thus far.

Thing is, I'm fairly sure I've read somewhere on here that USCIS frown on LPRs/naturalized citizens marrying someone from their own country and trying to bring them over here. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read that somewhere. I can't think for the life of me why, but there ya go. And when the IO at the interview asks me what my future plans are, that's exactly what I'm going to tell him - I'm going home for a bit, and then, when we're ready, we'll do the DCF and come back over here. Can't think why on Earth that would be an issue, but apparently it might be.

Your thoughts, folks?

My thoughts are when you naturalize, you are an American and qualify to bring anybody on the list, like a wife. Right? Doesn't matter if they frown as long as you qualify. In your case there was nothing nefarious going on and I would write an affidavit for you stating my knowledge of your visa, marriage, Amber's death, etc if anybody gives you grief. Shaz would do the same.. Between now and then, build some marriage things like joint bank accounts. File taxes as married for 2013. There is even a way to file jointly even with her in the UK.

And don't get arrested, detained, or cited before your naturalization. :P

(I'm late to this party because of a family death and organizing a fitting service, obit, and tribute to a fine 95 year old WW2 veteran.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

My thoughts are when you naturalize, you are an American and qualify to bring anybody on the list, like a wife. Right? Doesn't matter if they frown as long as you qualify. In your case there was nothing nefarious going on and I would write an affidavit for you stating my knowledge of your visa, marriage, Amber's death, etc if anybody gives you grief. Shaz would do the same.. Between now and then, build some marriage things like joint bank accounts. File taxes as married for 2013. There is even a way to file jointly even with her in the UK.

And don't get arrested, detained, or cited before your naturalization. tongue.png

(I'm late to this party because of a family death and organizing a fitting service, obit, and tribute to a fine 95 year old WW2 veteran.)

Well firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That "great generation" are dwindling now aren't they.

And with regard to my forthcoming situation, well as we discussed on the other thread my only real concern is the whole domicile thing. So I think what I'll do is put off doing the whole DCF thing until we're actually ready to leave Blighty, and if I'm denied for whatever reason, I'll simply move back stateside and send the paperwork from there - don't get any more "domicile" than that, right!!!???

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Well firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That "great generation" are dwindling now aren't they.

And with regard to my forthcoming situation, well as we discussed on the other thread my only real concern is the whole domicile thing. So I think what I'll do is put off doing the whole DCF thing until we're actually ready to leave Blighty, and if I'm denied for whatever reason, I'll simply move back stateside and send the paperwork from there - don't get any more "domicile" than that, right!!!???

I'm lost. Are you going to live in the UK right now? I thought you were going to get citizenship first, then hop over for the DCF. I don't see a problem with the domicile. It's pretty flexible. Did you read my reply?

You can also file DCF, then move back before the interview and Affidavit of Support. Nothing says you have to remain there for the entire duration.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I'm lost. Are you going to live in the UK right now? I thought you were going to get citizenship first, then hop over for the DCF. I don't see a problem with the domicile. It's pretty flexible. Did you read my reply?

You can also file DCF, then move back before the interview and Affidavit of Support. Nothing says you have to remain there for the entire duration.

No, I'm not going to the UK now - citizenship first. I became a LPR on August 20th, 2009 so I'll be filing late May 2014. Looking to head home early 2015 (probably just after Xmas) then spend a year or so there. And filing the DCF then moving back stateside before the interview/AoF is precisely what I was alluring to in my last post (although it woud be nice if we could leave together).

But hey, let's get citizenship nailed first, eh!!??

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.