cjmc

Filipino Drivers License ok for Washington State ???

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I tried calling DMV but could never get anyone to answer, so I guess when I get back home, I will have to drive to one of their offices and talk to someone...and then making sure you get the correct information....uggggg !!!!

Cheers !!!! As the Journey Continues !!!

cjmc

If you don't like the answer from one clerk, try another! I used to hate going to the DMV trying to straighten out a complicated vehicle registration... you know....when it has passed through two or three different parties since the last time it was registered and the registration expired two years ago because it sat in somebody's backyard where it died, Every time I would go back to the DMV for another temp sticker, a couple new forms were needed, and the price kept changing.

... like I have a reason to know or even care about Washington residency.... I just think about 20 million illegals should think about heading that way. :lol:

You don't know or even care?!? Nice try at changing the subject! FYI, that's a defense mechanism called "deflection."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

cjmc - there are 2 'basis' thingies for using a phils drivers license, in any state (not just WA)

1. entered on tourist visa, so study reciprocity for drivers license or

2. resident of the state .

if deemed a resident, then there are other rules and whatnots. IMO, since she not enter on a tourist visa (and no one has bothered to study the reciprocity stuff for the state of WA) then she's going to go by the regs for a resident of the state of WA, whatever those regs are.

With rare exception, a K-1 visa holder with an I-94 stapled inside the passport has no fast track to getting a drivers licence. Sure, things change after holding an EAD card or a green card.

Who knows? she might just be OK flashing the Phils license when she's pulled over for a stop, it's always on the trooper and the trooper's knowledge of what's what.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

...she's going to go by the regs for a resident of the state of WA, whatever those regs are...

Darnell...the link was already posted.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

and the outcome was? sorry - I am not tracking WA DMVs website ..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

and the outcome was? sorry - I am not tracking WA DMVs website ..

It looks like we are good for 30 days, she can practice driving in our area ......apply for the SS card right away, plan for the test as soon as possible when the SS card has been received.

I still plan on going to DMV to try and verify this path.

Thanks for all your input everyone !!! I let you know what happens in real time :-)

Cheers,

cjmc

It looks like we are good for 30 days, she can practice driving in our area ......apply for the SS card right away, plan for the test as soon as possible when the SS card has been received.

I still plan on going to DMV to try and verify this path.

Thanks for all your input everyone !!! I let you know what happens in real time :-)

Cheers,

cjmc

You shouldn't have any problems. Chinook went to the DMV in Seattlle before her I-94 expired and got a Washington State ID card. An ID card has the same identity requirements and SSN/residency requirements as a driver license.

Timeline

Anyone holding a Philippines drivers license should get a NASCAR license at the POE. Are you kidding me, they can freaking defensive drive like nobody I've ever seen.

They should have a their own theme song...

"If you can drive it there, you can drive it anywhere. Its up to you Philippines...PHil...I...PINES! Dat dat da da dah...dat dat da da dah"

smile.png

Edited by RGinWA

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Let's stick to the topic of the OP. If you want to discuss illegal immigration or politics in Washinton State general, head over to the Hot Topics board *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

So what were we talking about...?

It seems a two pronged issue.

The K1 Principle Applicant is a visitor, as he/she has stated intent to marry within 90 days but clearly can change his/her mind. Thus if the state has a 1 year visit rule allowing foreign driver license he/she is covered at least to the day of the marriage. I'll guess that even if stopped by the police there might be some warning but probably not a citation and certainly not a big issue until greater than 30 days past marriage which would be the true "indicator" of intent to no longer be a mere visitor.

But the real issue is the insurance company. A traffic ticket pales into comparison to an accident which occurred when the foreign driver was driving. Here the insurance company can simply say: "You had an obligation to inform us that you had another person in your household, having failed that, we will not cover this accident." In this instance you could be left holding claims that could ruin you.

It seems to me that the OP called the insurance company, and documentation of that is probably enough. Since the insurance company was notified and the insurance did not forbid the "visitor" to drive, in a legal battle the insurance company would likely (IMHO) be forced to pay. Though in this case the insurance company should be notified about a significant change of status such as marriage.

That's my two cents.

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

The K1 Principle Applicant is a visitor, as he/she has stated intent to marry within 90 days but clearly can change his/her mind. T

no0pb.gif While the K-1 Visa is technically a non-immigrant visa, it is not a "tourist" visa. The K-1 is work-eligible (although cannot work without proper identification (EAD)) and is able to apply for an SSN, something a tourist cannot do.

Edited by The Patriot

I'll guess that even if stopped by the police there might be some warning but probably not a citation

:no: Several VJ members have found out that is not true, as they have paid hefty fines for driving on a foreign driver license beyond the period in which they should have applied for a state driver license. They go by the date on the I-94 and will treat you as a resident of the state.

Timeline

no0pb.gif Several VJ members have found out that is not true, as they have paid hefty fines for driving on a foreign driver license beyond the period in which they should have applied for a state driver license. They go by the date on the I-94 and will treat you as a resident of the state.

Good information then. I forget just how bad it is economically here in the US these days. A friend got 4 photo speeding tickets on the same day in Virginia and said that trying to fight them is ludicrous, that there is no such thing as a fair trial in many areas. I guess in some areas it's turned into a form of taxation rather than true law enforcement so that's a good warning.

Here in New Hampshire I'd be happy to go before a judge in such a case, after having made a good faith attempt by inquiry to the DMV (Div of Motor Vehicles) but I'll admit--in VA I'd just lick my wounds and walk away. Today it is best to attempt to stick to the very letter of the law.

Thanks for the heads up Patriot.

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Timeline

So what were we talking about...?

It seems a two pronged issue.

The K1 Principle Applicant is a visitor, as he/she has stated intent to marry within 90 days but clearly can change his/her mind. Thus if the state has a 1 year visit rule allowing foreign driver license he/she is covered at least to the day of the marriage. I'll guess that even if stopped by the police there might be some warning but probably not a citation and certainly not a big issue until greater than 30 days past marriage which would be the true "indicator" of intent to no longer be a mere visitor.

But the real issue is the insurance company. A traffic ticket pales into comparison to an accident which occurred when the foreign driver was driving. Here the insurance company can simply say: "You had an obligation to inform us that you had another person in your household, having failed that, we will not cover this accident." In this instance you could be left holding claims that could ruin you.

It seems to me that the OP called the insurance company, and documentation of that is probably enough. Since the insurance company was notified and the insurance did not forbid the "visitor" to drive, in a legal battle the insurance company would likely (IMHO) be forced to pay. Though in this case the insurance company should be notified about a significant change of status such as marriage.

That's my two cents.

I actually believe what you are saying is more true than the other points presented.....she is a visitor using the K1 Visa to legally be in the US for up to 90 days, she does not have a right to stay past 90 days and she can leave anytime she wants up to that point.....

WA State DMV states on their website that a visitor can legally drive if they have a foreign drivers license for up to 1 year.

Once we are married, then her status technically changes, she has established residency by being married to me, she cannot leave and she then could not be considered a visitor......at that point, the 30 day clock starts ticking, tic,tic,tic.....to get get a resident drivers license.

I will certainly try and check this with DMV, hoping I can get accurate information.......I think I am dreaming....but I will try !!!!

Just my thoughts and ideas....

Cheers,

cjmc

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

She can leave anytime she so chooses, what she can't do is enter again without the AP or green card.

She is never a visitor as she entered with a K-1 visa.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.