cjmc

Filipino Drivers License ok for Washington State ???

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She can leave anytime she so chooses, what she can't do is enter again without the AP or green card.

She is never a visitor as she entered with a K-1 visa.

I stand corrected.....you are right....she can leave anytime...but what happens if you would overstay the 90 days and then try and leave....bad....

I guess it boils down to the definition of "Visitor" according to the Washington State interpretation, and I will try and figure that out....it really does not matter in the end what you believe in or what I believe in....it is what the bureaucrats say the rules are....and that is the problem...

Cheers,

cjmc

She can leave anytime she so chooses, what she can't do is enter again without the AP or green card.

She is never a visitor as she entered with a K-1 visa.

+1 Remember... visitor visas can be had quickly. We must wait months to be approved. Totally different type of visa.

Not saying you CAN'T get away with it, but you are taking a chance with her driving on her PI license. Might work. Then again, LOTS of people take chances driving on expired licenses, vehicle registration, NO license, speeding etc. It's all risky, and illegal, but only if you get caught, right?

Think about this... is there really a NEED for her to drive before she gets her SSN? I don't think so. AK traffic is very minimal and slow, and she didn't drive before her 90 days were up. Just be patient, get an SSN, and go get her license so she won't be illegal. Or meet the requirements WITHOUT an SSN and get it the week after she arrives. Just my 2¢...

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I stand corrected.....you are right....she can leave anytime...but what happens if you would overstay the 90 days and then try and leave....bad....

I guess it boils down to the definition of "Visitor" according to the Washington State interpretation, and I will try and figure that out....it really does not matter in the end what you believe in or what I believe in....it is what the bureaucrats say the rules are....and that is the problem...

Cheers,

cjmc

Nothing would happen, the only requirement is to get married within the 90 days. During those 90 days she isn't a visitor though either. And there is no issue if you don't file AOS within the 90 days either. There really isn't an over stay with the K-1.

Here in AZ my wife could not get anything done at DMV until she had her EAD/AP card (I think she may have been able to get the permit with the NOA1 for the I-485) , then she got her permit and by the time she was ready to take her driver's test she had received her green card, her driver's license expires on the same date as her green card expires.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Similar dilemma. Valid Philippine driver's license. WA State. Would love to hear what happened. :)

In our case, we got married last week. But our marriage license won't be issued until after 2 weeks. We will be applying for my SSN this week in my maiden name (which I hope is okay) since we still don't have the marriage certificate and the name in my immigration docs are in my maiden name. Please do advise me otherwise.

After applying for my SSN, we'll drop by DMV (DOL) to inquire since there's one near our place.

I'll post some updates in case other VJ members would find it helpful. :)

Similar dilemma. Valid Philippine driver's license. WA State. Would love to hear what happened. smile.png

In our case, we got married last week. But our marriage license won't be issued until after 2 weeks. We will be applying for my SSN this week in my maiden name (which I hope is okay) since we still don't have the marriage certificate and the name in my immigration docs are in my maiden name. Please do advise me otherwise.

After applying for my SSN, we'll drop by DMV (DOL) to inquire since there's one near our place.

I'll post some updates in case other VJ members would find it helpful. smile.png

In my own state, Minnesota, my wife came on a K-1, with a drivers license in the Philippines. We found getting a state ID first smoothed the to her getting a drivers license. She wasn't ready to drive on American roads, as she had only driven in Davao City and Mindanao. So before she was working she started studying the drivers manual and preparing to take the written test. When she went, she had her EAD, but they didn't even ask her for it, she just provided her State ID. Her permit had an Immigration check date on it, I never noticed it on the state ID, but I couldn't say it wasn't there. We didn't notice it on the permit either, but when she took the drivers test and got her license, she then was told about it and how we could get it removed when her green card came. It was getting the drivers license that they definitely asked to see the EAD. None of this is truly clear on the State's web site. Although they do have a list of valid proof of residency documents.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

In my own state, Minnesota, my wife came on a K-1, with a drivers license in the Philippines. We found getting a state ID first smoothed the to her getting a drivers license. She wasn't ready to drive on American roads, as she had only driven in Davao City and Mindanao. So before she was working she started studying the drivers manual and preparing to take the written test. When she went, she had her EAD, but they didn't even ask her for it, she just provided her State ID. Her permit had an Immigration check date on it, I never noticed it on the state ID, but I couldn't say it wasn't there. We didn't notice it on the permit either, but when she took the drivers test and got her license, she then was told about it and how we could get it removed when her green card came. It was getting the drivers license that they definitely asked to see the EAD. None of this is truly clear on the State's web site. Although they do have a list of valid proof of residency documents.

Thanks! I'll look into the state ID. :) And I'll start studying the driver's manual in preparation for the test. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks! I'll look into the state ID. smile.png And I'll start studying the driver's manual in preparation for the test. smile.png

After what my wife (and I) experienced in trying to obtain a State ID for her (we tried to do so before having the green card in hand); I found that it is best not to deal with DOL until you have a "stand alone" document in hand. My wife was able to learn first hand why DOL and their counterparts in all other states are one of the most loathed agencies anyone has to deal with.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Cheers,

cjmc

visitor = tourist visa. I wrote about that, earlier in yer topic. What's up?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

visitor = tourist visa. I wrote about that, earlier in yer topic. What's up?

Again, it does not matter what you and I think is reasonable, rational or the right thing....it is what the DMV verifies what they want and how they interpret their rules.

I will go and visit a DMV office personally and ask them since I can never get anyone on the phone....I will let everyone know what I find out.

Cheers !!!

cjmc

Timeline

reciprocity for usage applies to holders of tourist visas.

That's it. There's nothing else to it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I thought of posting an update just in case others would find it useful.

Backstory:

I have a valid foreign driver's license but my husband and I decided that it would be best for me not use it. According to the WA DOL website, tourists can use their foreign DL for up to one year. But I am not a tourist since I came on a K1 visa. The website also stated that you are considered to be a resident if you have an intent to stay for more than 6 months in any one year. Well, I intend to stay where my husband is so I guess I do meet that requirement. However, the DOL has an extensive list of what the proof of residency requirements are. So it kind of confused me because I thought that having an "intent" would be enough to prove residency. Oh well...

To cut the long story short, we tried our luck in getting me a learner's permit. We decided on getting the permit since I needed and ID and I needed to practice driving here. Not a DL because I wasn't, and still is not, confident enough to take the actual drive test. And the state ID is just that, an ID. Besides, the requirements for a state ID, learner's permit and DL are the same. So there.

Process:

I applied through the DOL website. I was sent a confirmation ID via email. I called a driving school to schedule the knowledge test since the DOL office near our place doesn't provide testing services. I took the test and passed. Was told by the driving school that encoding the results would only take 8 seconds and it will be uploaded in the DOL system immediately. So my husband and I went to the DOL office right after.

I presented my confirmation ID (which is like my "case number" or record number), passport with visa, I-94, marriage certificate, SS card with my married name... I think that's it. It took a while for the DOL employee to process my application since he said that he had to input my maiden name first in the system then change it to my married name so that it will be reflected in their system. He checked my vision. Asked me to sign some electronic forms. Instructed me to have my photo taken. That's it. I got my temporary permit. The actual permit will be mailed to me.

I can now drive without having to worry if my license/permit is valid (but I do need someone with me who has a valid DL and 5 years or more driving experience --- my husband). Which is fine with me since I wouldn't want to drive by myself for now. And, I also now have a valid ID (which I can now use to open a bank account, or at least be added to my husband's). :)

I apologize for the somewhat long post. I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

Timeline

Thanks for the report ! So There! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of posting an update just in case others would find it useful.

Backstory:

I have a valid foreign driver's license but my husband and I decided that it would be best for me not use it. According to the WA DOL website, tourists can use their foreign DL for up to one year. But I am not a tourist since I came on a K1 visa. The website also stated that you are considered to be a resident if you have an intent to stay for more than 6 months in any one year. Well, I intend to stay where my husband is so I guess I do meet that requirement. However, the DOL has an extensive list of what the proof of residency requirements are. So it kind of confused me because I thought that having an "intent" would be enough to prove residency. Oh well...

To cut the long story short, we tried our luck in getting me a learner's permit. We decided on getting the permit since I needed and ID and I needed to practice driving here. Not a DL because I wasn't, and still is not, confident enough to take the actual drive test. And the state ID is just that, an ID. Besides, the requirements for a state ID, learner's permit and DL are the same. So there.

Process:

I applied through the DOL website. I was sent a confirmation ID via email. I called a driving school to schedule the knowledge test since the DOL office near our place doesn't provide testing services. I took the test and passed. Was told by the driving school that encoding the results would only take 8 seconds and it will be uploaded in the DOL system immediately. So my husband and I went to the DOL office right after.

I presented my confirmation ID (which is like my "case number" or record number), passport with visa, I-94, marriage certificate, SS card with my married name... I think that's it. It took a while for the DOL employee to process my application since he said that he had to input my maiden name first in the system then change it to my married name so that it will be reflected in their system. He checked my vision. Asked me to sign some electronic forms. Instructed me to have my photo taken. That's it. I got my temporary permit. The actual permit will be mailed to me.

I can now drive without having to worry if my license/permit is valid (but I do need someone with me who has a valid DL and 5 years or more driving experience --- my husband). Which is fine with me since I wouldn't want to drive by myself for now. And, I also now have a valid ID (which I can now use to open a bank account, or at least be added to my husband's). smile.png

I apologize for the somewhat long post. I hope this helps! Good luck! smile.png

Thank you so much this is very helpful. I am currently reading the DL pamplet and still not in the mood taking the exam sleepy.gif . But I know I need to do it pretty soon.luv.gif

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

Timeline

Thank you so much this is very helpful. I am currently reading the DL pamplet and still not in the mood taking the exam sleepy.gif . But I know I need to do it pretty soon.luv.gif

You're welcome! :)

You can try doing the practice test on the DOL website. That helped me a lot. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.