Lisa-O

K1 Process - is it a waste of time?

25 posts in this topic

Hey All,

So this is probably more of a rant than anything else, but I'm seriously disheartened by my situation! I started my K1 journey Jan 2012...approved Jan 13, married April 5th YAAAYYYYY. I moved to the US in March 13 after a long and stressful wait (as well all know!!). I'm currently waiting for my AOS, AP and EAD to be approved.

Now I have read on another members thread that said person came to the US on a holiday visa and 'decided to marry' there and then, and is merrily AOS-ing now...without any prior planning, paperwork etc...I mean no disrespect to this couple, but I'm dismayed at the struggle me and my husband have gone through and still are, to find out that this is allowed?

I may sound selfish or childish here, but there isn't any equality here is there?

Sorry if this comes across as bitchy or negative, just finding it hard not being allowed to work yet or visit my family :(

I agree. It's whats is commonly called "taking the piss".

Completely...I've well and truly thrown my toys out of the pram waaaaaa crying.gif

That is seriously depressing crying.gifClockWatch2.gifcray5ol.gif

it's soooo depressing cray5ol.gif we'll get there in the end

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Yes you can come on the VWP and decide to get married.

Here is the issue though, it is illegal to enter the U.S. on any visa other than K1 with the intention to get married. So if you come here on the VWP and intend to marry and the authorities some how discover you came with the intention to marry then they will deport you even if you are already married to the U.S. citizen and you will have a ban placed on you.

I know this because I and my fiance nearly did this. One of the intelligent USCIS call center people said we could take this route no problem, but it was when I called U.S. customs and border control where an actual agent informed me that it would be illegal...

Now with that being said it is damn near impossible to determine that you came with the intent to marry, but it's better safe than sorry I guess...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Completely...I've well and truly thrown my toys out of the pram waaaaaa crying.gif

it's soooo depressing cray5ol.gif we'll get there in the end

my fiance is telling everyday that she is getting more and more upset everyday she cant be with me and its tearing me apart. this wait is unbearable.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It all depends on who interviews you for your AOS as if you do it via the correct means you have nothing to worry about BUT if you say you did it on a VWP there is a strong chance you could get refused your AOS or at least have to investigate which adds more time on to there wait.

my fiance is telling everyday that she is getting more and more upset everyday she cant be with me and its tearing me apart. this wait is unbearable.

I know exactly how she feels, I was in the same situation, it's a great feeling when you're approved, then the adventure begins. Like the above member stated it's always better to do it the right way!! The wait is hard, but stick with it :)

Here is the issue though, it is illegal to enter the U.S. on any visa other than K1 with the intention to get married. So if you come here on the VWP and intend to marry and the authorities some how discover you came with the intention to marry then they will deport you even if you are already married to the U.S. citizen and you will have a ban placed on you.

I know this because I and my fiance nearly did this. One of the intelligent USCIS call center people said we could take this route no problem, but it was when I called U.S. customs and border control where an actual agent informed me that it would be illegal...

Now with that being said it is damn near impossible to determine that you came with the intent to marry, but it's better safe than sorry I guess...

You're very right...I'm glad me and my husband have done it this way. Good luck with your visa :)

Ultimately, a couple who enters on a tourist visa, marries and adjusts is gambling with their future. If it is decided it was visa fraud, then they're screwed.

Doing things the right way is the best way to guarantee your long term life together. I think it's crazy that people are willing to gamble like that (and, often, I think some people don't even realise the severity of the ramifications should it all go wrong).

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Ultimately, a couple who enters on a tourist visa, marries and adjusts is gambling with their future. If it is decided it was visa fraud, then they're screwed.

Doing things the right way is the best way to guarantee your long term life together. I think it's crazy that people are willing to gamble like that (and, often, I think some people don't even realise the severity of the ramifications should it all go wrong).

I couldn't agree with you more :)

It all depends on who interviews you for your AOS as if you do it via the correct means you have nothing to worry about BUT if you say you did it on a VWP there is a strong chance you could get refused your AOS or at least have to investigate which adds more time on to there wait.

I'm glad I've done it this way, I was just shocked that it could be done that way :)

I know I did everything by the book, so I am secure in the knowledge that my living in the USA is legal. What other people want to do with their morals is up to them.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is incorrect. It is not illegal to enter the US with intention of getting married. What is Visa fraud is entering to marry and stay. many couples want to get married in US do it the immigrant returns in due time no over stay and waits out the I-130 process. Even some come back and forth throughout the process.

So long as you have no intention of staying its cool. But of course its up to that CBP to decide if they trust you enough to let you stay.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

I know I did everything by the book, so I am secure in the knowledge that my living in the USA is legal. What other people want to do with their morals is up to them.

I was angry, but on reading what others' have said, I've come to the same conclusion, that I know we did it the right way.

I would be interested to see what the percentage of couples are passed using this method? *investigates* :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.