sailormoon01

The cold, hard truth about MENA "husbands"

159 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Again, I mean people who identify with a cultural background other than simply being an American. I grew up bilingual and Roman Catholic. My ethnic background is just as important as my American nationality. There are women who solely identify as American. These women who solely identify as American and are usually Protestant are often the ones who readily accept Islam and adopt Arab culture.

Where do you live? I live in Brooklyn. Born and raised. Did you know there are mosques with spanish language services? I know because in my borough if ye seek ye shall find.

You do realize you've made yourself into a sideshow rather than a person. This thread shall not stay open much longer because all you are doing is bickering. You have an axe to grind. That is not the fault of anyone on this forum. That is your husband's fault and your fault too [you married him even after he physically abused you??]. Now you're mad that we aren't all joining you in your pity party. Usually insulting a group's significant others isn't a good way to gain a supportive audience. You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last but any somewhat valid points you were trying to make was lost in all your inane arguing. You made a bad choice of a husband and I feel sorry for you but life goes on. The best thing you can do for yourself is to move on.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: Timeline

BTW, Sorry for angry responses. I just don't like for people to say I am generalizing. I am simply explaining MY story and about the majority of other stories I have heard about. I spent extensive time in the MENA region and I think I know a thing or two. THE FACT REMAINS NOBODY ON HERE CAN SAY THAT THEIR HUSBAND WOULD ADOPT THEIR BACKGROUND THE WAY YOU HAVE ADAPTED TO HIS.

I agree, but these US women's husbands from MENA, once they go to America, they adopt to the US culture, i don't mean they celebrate thanksgiving or watch super bowl's commercials, they just go with the flow of life there, and they don't convert to their wives' religions, regardless if they practice islam or just are being muslims at heart.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not sure what you have been hoping to achieve here. No one is going to be warned off by your story. Those who are in unhealthy relationship who could've used your experience will be put off by your hostile attitude and generalizations. Those who are in healthy and happy relationships aren't going to end those relationships because things turned out badly for some stranger on the internet.

And for the record, my boyfriend has compromised on a lot of things during the past ~two years I've known him. But I'm not going to give specific examples because you'll probably dismiss those as "he's just telling you what you want to hear."

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

OP- seriously, it sucks majorly that you had to encounter that. I truly am sorry what rats men can be.

The truth of the matter is, I hear horrible In-Law stories from women across the globe. I hear abusive men stories from women across the globe. Your generalizations are fairly offensive but given your pain, I am understanding enough to forgive an angry misguided rant.

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

BTW, Sorry for angry responses. I just don't like for people to say I am generalizing. I am simply explaining MY story and about the majority of other stories I have heard about. I spent extensive time in the MENA region and I think I know a thing or two. THE FACT REMAINS NOBODY ON HERE CAN SAY THAT THEIR HUSBAND WOULD ADOPT THEIR BACKGROUND THE WAY YOU HAVE ADAPTED TO HIS.

I have yet to really adopt anything from his culture. I like falafels and hummus. I don't think that constitutes a cultural adaptation. So now that we've disproven your hypothesis, what's next?

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

I have yet to really adopt anything from his culture. I like falafels and hummus. I don't think that constitutes a cultural adaptation. So now that we've disproven your hypothesis, what's next?

Will he eat burritos, or listen to Sublime? Those may cancel out any and all falafel.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

Again, I mean people who identify with a cultural background other than simply being an American. I grew up bilingual and Roman Catholic. My ethnic background is just as important as my American nationality. There are women who solely identify as American. These women who solely identify as American and are usually Protestant are often the ones who readily accept Islam and adopt Arab culture.

Identity as an American is a cultural identity. It sounds like you just don't believe American culture is worthwhile and that other cultures are superior to it. Anecdotally, btw, most of the women I know who adopted Arab culture and/or Islam were Catholic. I don't consider my anecdotal evidence to be particularly something I would toss out as a surefire fact. I also wouldn't generalize from it and make a statement that all Catholics are wishy-washy people who don't care about culture or religion and are on a search for something more. I certainly wouldn't pidgeonhole a singular ethnic group of people attached to Catholicism and then decide they all were spineless. I don't think bilingualism saves people.

Yes, there are people who weirdly have to become absorbed in their spouse's culture/religion/etc. There are also people who have their identity absorbed by their kids, their jobs, or whatever else. That is a personality trait. It is not dependent on your genetic code, religious dogma, or lingual abilities. That's what it seems like you don't understand. For those people on the board who are technically WASP, you just insulted the blanket lot of them by saying they are unable to control themselves. Thta's kind of sucky. I think what would have been a better critique would have been people not watching for warning signs, not loosing themselves in someone else, and being more educated about what they are getting into. It seems like that is the more of what you may have been going for in a way?

Timeline

Will he eat burritos, or listen to Sublime? Those may cancel out any and all falafel.

He does like to eat burritos, but he doesn't liek to read about OJ. He doesn't want to get a headrush, so he often decides to not get out of bed.

So I think we have a half-cancel.

Oh but wait, no, we need to add like some serious non-American points on to him because he told me his favorite singer is Michael Bolton. I mean really. OMG. Michael Bolton gives you like +1000000 non-American points I think.

My father converted my husband into a Neil Young fan, though my husband already liked CSNY. But, nary an arabic song to be found on my day's iPod, go figure.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

My father converted my husband into a Neil Young fan, though my husband already liked CSNY. But, nary an arabic song to be found on my day's iPod, go figure.

But does he want to go and party? Does he want to shoot the pier? Does he want to take the doggie for a walk, or look at naked chicks and drink beer?

this Michael Bolton think makes me to stage an intervention though.

No kidding.

But does he want to go and party? Does he want to shoot the pier? Does he want to take the doggie for a walk, or look at naked chicks and drink beer?

No, he just wants burritos. Veggie, please.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

But he did have to wrench on a car today, even though he didn't wanna.

Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do... like clean up dog poop or get out of bed today. You just have to keep on skankin' the night away.

Veggie burritoes= awesome.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.