CIS Office : California Service Center
Date Filed : 2016-08-29
NOA Date : 2016-09 -01
Bio. Appt. : 2016-10 -13
Testing and Interview : 2016- -
Interview Appt. : 2016- - .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

How's everybody doing? I haven't checked in on the same-sex filers thread for ages and I really should have done. Our AOS application was selected for potential interview waiver and we've now joined a very long and very slow moving line.

Another same-sex couple, friends of ours, have just filed their K1 petition. It's gone to CSC but they seem to have slowed right down too. I'm so thankful that our K1 went through quickly and we were not separated for that long.

I hope you're all doing good.

We got our K1 and he is now here in the US. There was no problem and no reference was made to anything about same sex by the CO. Infact everything was done the same way as heterosexuals

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We finished our journey (well, the CR-1 part) in July. I'm sure I speak for all of us same-sex couples when I say that the relief of being able to travel back and forth to our respective countries is palpable.

We are currently in Australia for a visit and will be coming to the US for the very first time with an official green card on December 1st. I'm curious as to how it will play out - I think it will be a non-event. It will be nice to front up to the Immigration Officer together - as a couple - and hand over our documents!

From all I can tell on Visa Journey, most of us are getting through the process (albeit at a snail's pace) successfully. 35 States and Washington DC now have marriage equality - if that is not a clear message to the Supreme Court this time around, I don't know what is.

Sometimes I wonder if those judges in the 6th District said "no" on purpose to force SCOTUS to end the ####### once and for all....

Sukie in Oz (and NY)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello!

We got approved last september but will be traveling to the US in January. Our first plan was to get married in NYC since it's not legal in Florida. But just recently we found out that it is now legal in North and South Carolina so we would love to have our civil wedding in North Carolina since it is much closer to FL than flying to NYC.

How's the whole wedding process in NC?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello!

We got approved last september but will be traveling to the US in January. Our first plan was to get married in NYC since it's not legal in Florida. But just recently we found out that it is now legal in North and South Carolina so we would love to have our civil wedding in North Carolina since it is much closer to FL than flying to NYC.

How's the whole wedding process in NC?

The cost of a marriage license in North Carolina is $60 (+ $10 for each certified copy) but there's no waiting period between the time you apply and when the ceremony can be performed (but it is valid for only sixty days). Early on after it was legalized (which makes it seem so much longer than the six weeks it's actually been), there were some counties whose clerks refused to perform same-sex marriages, but now they've been ordered to perform them regardless of their personal beliefs, and contrary to some conservative news reports, only a few people resigned because of this.

Another important thing: proof of age (birth certificate if between 18 and 21; simple photo ID with birth date for persons older than that) and social security number are both required. There is an affidavit that can be signed if someone is uneligible for a SSN, but I'm not sure if people entering on a K1 are eligible--if they are, then you'd have to wait for a social security number to be issued before getting married in NC. But after that, it can happen pretty much immediately.

More info (this is county specific, but should be similar statewide): http://countyweb.co.guilford.nc.us/marriage-information

Update: Last I posted here, Harel was going through some medical scares, and although we still need to wait for some follow-up tests at the end of this month to make sure they're behind us, he seems to be doing better. In the meantime, some financial upsets on my side of the family have left us needing a new co-sponsor, so it's unclear when we'll be able to start the process. But from what I've heard, AOS in the Raleigh area--where I expect we'll be able to file--generally takes no more than six months, so it really is just a waiting game for us now. I've been asking some close personal friends if they would be willing to support us on paper since my parents will support us financially while I'm still in school (even if they don't make the minimum sponsorship amount), but with the economy still pretty rough for many people, they have all been rather hesitant to take on any additional risks. So we keep waiting.

Has anyone else been in this type of situation? How did you get through it?

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The cost of a marriage license in North Carolina is $60 (+ $10 for each certified copy) but there's no waiting period between the time you apply and when the ceremony can be performed (but it is valid for only sixty days). Early on after it was legalized (which makes it seem so much longer than the six weeks it's actually been), there were some counties whose clerks refused to perform same-sex marriages, but now they've been ordered to perform them regardless of their personal beliefs, and contrary to some conservative news reports, only a few people resigned because of this.

Another important thing: proof of age (birth certificate if between 18 and 21; simple photo ID with birth date for persons older than that) and social security number are both required. There is an affidavit that can be signed if someone is uneligible for a SSN, but I'm not sure if people entering on a K1 are eligible--if they are, then you'd have to wait for a social security number to be issued before getting married in NC. But after that, it can happen pretty much immediately.

More info (this is county specific, but should be similar statewide): http://countyweb.co.guilford.nc.us/marriage-information

Update: Last I posted here, Harel was going through some medical scares, and although we still need to wait for some follow-up tests at the end of this month to make sure they're behind us, he seems to be doing better. In the meantime, some financial upsets on my side of the family have left us needing a new co-sponsor, so it's unclear when we'll be able to start the process. But from what I've heard, AOS in the Raleigh area--where I expect we'll be able to file--generally takes no more than six months, so it really is just a waiting game for us now. I've been asking some close personal friends if they would be willing to support us on paper since my parents will support us financially while I'm still in school (even if they don't make the minimum sponsorship amount), but with the economy still pretty rough for many people, they have all been rather hesitant to take on any additional risks. So we keep waiting.

Has anyone else been in this type of situation? How did you get through it?

Thank you so much for the information :)

So now we're still if we should go for NC or NYC. Since same sex wedding was just approved recently in NC so we have less sources but the whole process/experiences unlike in NYC. However, we could save money if we'll go for NC. Yikes!

Timeline

Thank you so much for the information :)

So now we're still if we should go for NC or NYC. Since same sex wedding was just approved recently in NC so we have less sources but the whole process/experiences unlike in NYC. However, we could save money if we'll go for NC. Yikes!

You're quite welcome!

I'm a little confused why you need sources? If it's to prove you can legally get married or to demonstrate plans to get married when filing the K1 (possibly on the intent to marry statement?) then a simple news story showing the court ruling should, I think, suffice. With the number of states that now allow same-sex marriage being a majority, and since it's been over a year since the federal government extended sponsorship rights to same-sex couples, I feel like the USCIS probably wouldn't be as strict about needing proof for this as they might have been in the past--but then again, that might be my optimism and common sense talking, so don't by any means take my word for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's a long road you traveled. My husband was granted permanent residency in right around 90 days. I guess that process is a lot faster than the fiancé visa process. Good Luck!

We finished our journey (well, the CR-1 part) in July. I'm sure I speak for all of us same-sex couples when I say that the relief of being able to travel back and forth to our respective countries is palpable.

We are currently in Australia for a visit and will be coming to the US for the very first time with an official green card on December 1st. I'm curious as to how it will play out - I think it will be a non-event. It will be nice to front up to the Immigration Officer together - as a couple - and hand over our documents!

From all I can tell on Visa Journey, most of us are getting through the process (albeit at a snail's pace) successfully. 35 States and Washington DC now have marriage equality - if that is not a clear message to the Supreme Court this time around, I don't know what is.

Sometimes I wonder if those judges in the 6th District said "no" on purpose to force SCOTUS to end the ####### once and for all....

Sukie in Oz (and NY)

01/2006 Met online

05/2006 Met in person in San Jose, Costa Rica

08/2006 Second time together in Costa Rica, met future in-laws

10/2006 Interview for B1/B2visa-approved, third time together in Costa Rica

11/2006 Fourth time together in Costa Rica

11/11/06 Admitted to the US on B1/B2 visa

12/2006 Decision to stay in the US together

06/26/13 US Supreme Court rules DOMA is unconstitutional and denies standing for California Prop 8 proponents

06/28/13 US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that upheld unconstitutionality of Prop 8, lifts stay on same-sex marriages in California

07/01/13 Married in Sacramento, California http://www.amcostarica.com/070813.htm

08/09/13 Filled I-485, I-131, I-130, I-765

08/16/13 NOA date

09/11/13 Biometrics appointment at West Sacramento Application Support Center

09/17/13 Application status changed to Testing and Interview

10/03/13 EAD in production.

10/15/13 EAD/AP combo card received

10/17/13 Text message received for interview date of November 19. Applied for Social Security card.

10/23/13 Interview notice received. AP notice received. Social Security card received.

11/19/13 Interview-AOS Approved!

11/27/13 Green Card received!!!

My husband just got discharged from the hospital. Medical staff keep asking me who I am (because I'm right there by his side at the ER, ICU, recovery room, etc.) and when I say I'm the husband, no one bats an eye (or an eyelash).

We need to keep announcing ourselves to other people in everyday situations as spouses of our same-sex partners. That way, it becomes ordinary to others.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everybody. I've been a member for a couple of months (and an anonymous lurker for a couple more), I've been posting updates on another thread and recently found this one. It is great to share experiences with another Bi-national couples as well as get some support.

My husband (USC) and I filled for AOS on October 14th so far we got the 4 NOAs for the initial paperwork, biometrics done (attempted early walk-in at the Memphis office but they didn't allow it) and my I-485 screen at the USCIS website is set on "Ready to be schedule for an interview" but no notice in the mail as of today.

A little bit of background about us:

Me (the petitioner) came to the US almost 11 years ago on a F-1 visa, after finishing my Masters and some OPT work at the University I got a job offer in Greenville, Mississippi, the company went the extra mile when they hired me and they got a TN visa for me, that was in 2008. Greenville is a small town and there wasn't much to do so I decided one weekend to go to Memphis and never thought my life would chance forever, (hahaha, getting a little dramatic here). I met this incredible guy on my first time in Memphis and we instantly hit it off. Although the distance was a little bit of a problem (we were almost 3 hours away) we made it work for 3 years, seeing each other every weekend, taking trips together (my work required for me to travel some so we took advantage of it) and just seeing each other whenever possible.

In 2012 I got a job offer in my home country (Mexico) and asked Robert to move down with me, he said yes. It was a little bit of a hassle because he had a house, 2 cars and basically 20 years living in Memphis, he gave all that up and moved with me to Mexico. At this time I had been changed from a TN to a H1B status but since I left the country all that was lost. We were happy for almost a year in Mexico when I unexpectedly lost my job. It was a hard blow and we made the decision to move back to the US while we sort everything out (I have a B1/B2 border crossing card so go in and out of the US wasn't a problem). I would stay in the US for some time and then would go back to Mexico so I never overstayed my status and I was actively looking for a job here in the US and in Mexico but it's very hard when you need sponsorship. We decided to buy a house here in the US and Robert started working. Few months passed and we where happy when the Arkansas ban on same sex marriage got struck down, he proposed to me and I said yes.Unfortunately they put a stay on the decision before we could make it to one of the counties that were issuing the licenses so we decided to go to DC and marry there because we have friend up there. We got married on June and finally got my package together in October so we sent it, we are now waiting.

We didn't get an RFE and now we are just waiting for the interview date but I'm a little worried that be IO would be suspicious that I adjusting my status from a B2. I did not intend to stay but when the Arkansas ban came down we decided to do it. We have been together for almost 6 years and I think we have a pretty good case of a legitimate marriage. Hopefully we will have no problems.

Good luck to all.

My husband just got discharged from the hospital. Medical staff keep asking me who I am (because I'm right there by his side at the ER, ICU, recovery room, etc.) and when I say I'm the husband, no one bats an eye (or an eyelash).

We need to keep announcing ourselves to other people in everyday situations as spouses of our same-sex partners. That way, it becomes ordinary to others.

I forgot to write that I was responding to Sukie's intent to arrive at the POE and announce to the CBP that they are arriving together as a same-sex couple.

The point being that we should try as much as possible to announce our same-sex relationships when it comes to airports, hospitals, etc. This exposes straight people to our existence, our humanity and that we have dignity in our status as same-sex married couples.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello, everyone! I'm visiting my fiance at the moment, and being together has reminded me why we're going through the hassle that is obtaining a K1 visa--especially assembling the initial package, which is where we currently stand even as we draw nearer to filing. I just wanted to jump in here, wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year! May 2015 be the year we all finish this journey to be with our loved ones!

Hello, everyone! I'm visiting my fiance at the moment, and being together has reminded me why we're going through the hassle that is obtaining a K1 visa--especially assembling the initial package, which is where we currently stand even as we draw nearer to filing. I just wanted to jump in here, wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year! May 2015 be the year we all finish this journey to be with our loved ones!

Thanks! Same to you...I'm with my fiance also, and I'm trying to enjoy the week we have together. I have more or less separated myself from the VJ website after I received my last checklist. The good news is I'm half way through the 60 day wait so I am hoping that January is the start of great news.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

I'm struggling with preparing the letters of intent to marry because, if the Supreme Court takes up one of the marriage cases they're considering on Jan. 9 and upholds the lower court decisions, it could potentially undo the legalization of same-sex marriage in North Carolina. Do you think the following will cover all our bases?

I, petitioner's name, do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry beneficiary's name (whose preferred name is XXX), and I intend to do so within 90 days of his arrival into the United States using the K-1 visa.

On October 10, 2014, Judge Max Cogburn overturned North Carolina’s Amendment 1, passed May 8, 2012, that had defined marriage in the state constitution as the union of one man and one woman; since Judge Cogburn’s ruling, same-sex marriages have been performed legally in North Carolina. Please see an attached copy of a news article from the North Carolina Court Systems announcing the overturning of Amendment 1 (next page); please also note that it says page “1 of 2” but that the second page was blank.

It is our plan, following the beneficiary’s entry into the United States, to obtain a civil marriage in North Carolina; once we have filed for adjustment of status, we will begin planning a Jewish wedding ceremony at (our place of worship) in (a city), NC, to be attended by our friends and both of our families.

If a future ruling by the United States Supreme Court reverses the legality of same-sex marriage in North Carolina, my fiancé and I will travel to Washington, D.C., to be legally married; Washington, D.C. legalized same-sex marriage in December 2009 through legislative action and thereby would not be affected by a decision effecting same-sex marriage legalized through court cases. Following our marriage in Washington, D.C., we will adjust status and continue with planning our religious ceremony as previously stated.

Additionally, must my fiance's letter be identical to mine, or would simply the first paragraph suffice since I've already outlined our wedding plans?

Darren

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.