redflower7

Pls help - Vawa pending risk in travel with advance parol?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I came to the US February 2012 with a J1, after 1 day at work the J1 Visa got cancelled. I stayed as me and my lawyer were considering to file for permission to the stay on humanitarian grounds (company broke visa rules very badly and then fired me). I fell in love and got married in August. Me and husband filed in December 2012. In March my lawyer changed it to a VAWA case. Now i have an appoved advance parol document. I would like to travel with it for 3 months to germany to get my teeth fixed as i have a big infection and cant pay for it here. My lawyer said something about that there is still a (small?) risk? Is that true? How much of a risk is there? I would be totally and absolutely devestated that if after all what i went through i would not be allowed back in. So i dont want to take any chances. I read somewhere on the internet that if you have been out of status that you will not be able to get back in? I did not accrue any overstay as it was a J1, i am also not criminal but...is there still a risk?

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Legally speaking with advance parole you should be able to reenter,but of course your entrance is discretionary and they will decide when you arrive.The majority of jurists recommend not to travel with Vawa pending.You can apply for medicaid with your prima facie and have your tooth fixed...why not?

If you came in February and had your visa cancelled the next day, then didn't file again until December, and you do have an overstay, Feb thru December. I know overstays are forgiven when marrying a USC, but that option sounds gone to you, since you're now on a VAWA. I heard of nothing but trouble when people attempt to travel using AP after an overstay. Leaving the country and attempting to return before the green card is given is going to be at high risk of being turned back at the border.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Legally speaking with advance parole you should be able to reenter,but of course your entrance is discretionary and they will decide when you arrive.The majority of jurists recommend not to travel with Vawa pending.You can apply for medicaid with your prima facie and have your tooth fixed...why not?

I don't know about your state, but Medicaid here does not cover adults who don't have children, aren't income eligible, etc. Also medicaid in this state does not cover dental for adults.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Red flower see if there is a dental college in your city and a dental student might treat or pull the tooth at very reduced rates, also dentists realize most people do not have insurance for this see if the office will take payments. Just a few ideas

If you have at least 180 days of overstay (and it sounds as if you could have) then you have at least a three year bar from the US (or ten years, if you reached 365 days of overstay) that even approved AP will not overcome. You will be refused entry if you travel overseas then attempt to re-enter and have one of these bars.

If your I-94 was stamped "D/S", however, then you do not accrue overstay until either USCIS or an immigration judge makes that determination, so would be able to use AP in that circumstance. You should double and triple check this with an experienced immigration lawyer before you travel, though.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

If you have at least 180 days of overstay (and it sounds as if you could have) then you have at least a three year bar from the US (or ten years, if you reached 365 days of overstay) that even approved AP will not overcome. You will be refused entry if you travel overseas then attempt to re-enter and have one of these bars.

If your I-94 was stamped "D/S", however, then you do not accrue overstay until either USCIS or an immigration judge makes that determination, so would be able to use AP in that circumstance. You should double and triple check this with an experienced immigration lawyer before you travel, though.

Hi Hypnos, Yes it was stamped DS. Does that mean that travelling now wit AP will be definitely safe to get back in here??

Probably, but again I would check with at least a couple of reputable immigration attorneys prior to leaving the country, because if you make a mistake there is no do-over.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

My lawyer says she cant tell if its small or big chance to not being able to come back. She said it happened to none of her clients so far but she cant say its a 10 or 50% chance to not being allowed back in. She said i have D/S...anyway after talking with her i am not farther.... :( i dont know what to do, whether i should fly or not... nowhere on the internet is a clear answer. Its a big or small risk....?

Listen to your lawyer...how did they give U AP for

dental work? AP is usually given for deaths, illnesses

and emergency situations, your lawyer smells a rat, U may

not be allowed back in a lot has happen with you to stay

in the USA in a short period , losing work visa, married,

vawa & now aa AP request for dental...try the Catholic health

center and listen to your lawyer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.