We Keep Receipts

The 14-year-old kid arrested over his pro-NRA shirt now faces a year in jail

238 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/14-old-kid-arrested-over-pro-nra-shirt-071819724.html

The West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association appeared in court this week and was formally charged with obstructing an officer.

As CBS affiliate WTRF reports, 14-year-old Jared Marcum now faces a $500 fine and a maximum of one year in prison.

What's wrong with people?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association appeared in court this week and was formally charged with obstructing an officer.

As CBS affiliate WTRF reports, 14-year-old Jared Marcum now faces a $500 fine and a maximum of one year in prison.The boy’s father, Allen Lardieri, is not pleased.“Me, I’m more of a fighter and so is Jared and eventually we’re going to get through this,” Lardieri told WTRF. “I don’t think it should have ever gotten this far.”“Every aspect of this is just totally wrong,” Lardieri added. “He has no background of anything criminal up until now and it just seems like nobody wants to admit they’re wrong.”Officials at Logan Middle School in Logan County, West Va. maintain that Marcum, who has since completed eighth grade, was suspended for one day because he caused a disruption after a teacher asked him to remove a shirt emblazoned with a hunting rifle and the statement “protect your right.”“She said, ‘Are you supposed to wear that in school?’” Marcum had previously explained in an interview with local station, WOWK-TV. “I said, ‘I don’t see why I shouldn’t.’”In a move The Daily Caller can only characterize as courageous, Marcum returned to school after his suspension wearing exactly the same shirt. Students across the rural county showed their support for Marcum by wearing similar shirts on that day as well.

There are no accounts of any additional arrests or suspensions when Marcum returned to school.Lardieri has claimed that police in Logan City (pop. 1,779) threatened to charge Marcum with making terroristic threats during the incident that led to his arrest.In legal documents obtained by the CBS station, the arresting officer, James Adkins, reportedly fails to inform the court about any terrorist threats or any violent action. Instead, Adkins asserts that the 14-year-old boy did not follow his orders to stop talking. This verbosity somehow prevented Adkins from performing his police duties.“In my view of the facts, Jared didn’t do anything wrong,” Ben White, Marcum’s attorney, opined, according to WTRF. “I think Officer Adkins could have done something differently.”White has previously asserted that his client was exercising his free speech rights by wearing the shirt.The school district’s policy doesn’t prohibit shirts promoting Second Amendment rights.

Logan police and the prosecuting attorney, Michael White, declined to answer questions.

seems to be overzealous police....

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I have no loss of love for the NRA, but wearing a T-shirt showing your support of them is not a crime.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why don't you wait and see what he actually gets before you complain about it?

BTW, the title of the thread has been changed from the original title to make it appear that the sentence has already been given. Also, the time and fine alluded to is for "obstructing an officer" which is what he's being charged with.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

BTW, the title of the thread has been changed from the original title to make it appear that the sentence has already been given. Also, the time and fine alluded to is for "obstructing an officer" which is what he's being charged with.

good catch.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Why don't you wait and see what he actually gets before you complain about it?

with.

Said none of you hang Zimmerman now crowd.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Said none of you hang Zimmerman now crowd.

Thanks for bringing that up. This thread will be 20 pages in no time.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Um, here is the article title:

And my comment was about being arrested for wearing the shirt.

Edited by Su and Marvin

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Um, here is the article title:

And my comment was about being arrested for wearing the shirt.

Charles changed it.

And the year alluded to is not from "wearing a t-shirt"

Edited by GandD

I was talking about the kid being arrested for wearing the shirt.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg