asif mehmood

Apply for passport

12 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Im married 3 years and want to apply for citizenship but my question is my wife get passport atfer 8 months i come to usa so my time count for apply citizenship i enter usa or time start my wife get the citizenship becoz wgen we married she have green card only .....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Citizenship is abotu you, not your wife. You must be a greencard holder AND married to your wife for 3 years to be elligible.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

OK maybe I am missunderstanding your question. Can you try to explain again exactly what you are asking? Maybe, if your wife writes better English, she could type for you?

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Sorry about that actuly when i be married that time she is permanent resident not a citizen i m come usa dec 2010 she get the citizenship nov2011 my 3 year time to apply for citizenship is over on dec2013 according to law after 3 years married with us citizen i be able to apply for citizenship my question is time count for dec 2010 when i come to usa or time count when my wife get citizenship on nov2011 ......

Filed: Other Timeline

I understand your question now.

You came to the United States in December of 2010. Your wife at that time was a Green Card holder, but not a US citizen. She became a US citizen in November of 2011, about 9 months after you got your Green Card.

Well, the "normal" waiting time for naturalization is 5 years. That would in your case be December of 2015. The exception to this is if two conditions are met:

1) You have been a resident for at least 3 years, AND

2) You have been married to the same US citizen for at least 3 years.

In your case, you have only been married to a US citizen since November of 2011, so only in November of 2014 you will have met the requirement number 2. At the same time, you have already been a resident for close to 4 years.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Bro i was married in 2007 but that time wife has green card only so i be waiting for my visa approval my visa approved in nov 2010 and im come in usa dec 2010 after that my wife get citizenship in nov 2011 so my question is i be able apply citizenship in dec 2013 or i need to wait for nov 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You must meet 2 things

Be a resident 3 years

Have a spouse that is a USC for 3 years

Most people wait because of the first thing. You are waiting because of the second one. Your wife isn't a USC for 3 years yet.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Bro i was married in 2007 but that time wife has green card only so i be waiting for my visa approval my visa approved in nov 2010 and im come in usa dec 2010 after that my wife get citizenship in nov 2011 so my question is i be able apply citizenship in dec 2013 or i need to wait for nov 2014

You need to wait until Nov 2014. You need to be married to a US citizen for 3 years AND a permanent resident for that period of time.

Wife became a citizen in Nov 2011.

In Nov 2014 you will have been married to a US citizen for 3 years.

You are lucky because you were also a permanent resident the whole time too! YAY!

Nov 2014 is when you can become a citizen, at the earliest.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

No you can apply 90 days before the exact date. If you apply even a day earlier they will deny.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.